Author Topic: Are VMX races too short? I think they are.  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Are VMX races too short? I think they are.
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:19:38 am »
I know that there are always time restraints and we have the challenge of fitting in all the classes but, after racing 4 x 6 lap races at the fantastic Mr VMX meeting last weekend I am now convinced that VMX races are too short. A 3 lap dash is just not long enough, its a sprint! In my view 4 laps is really a minimum but I would like to see more 5 or 6 lap or longer races. This is more like what Motocross is all about.

Motocross in its purest form was an endurance test. I accept we are all older and our bodies are not what they used to be but 3 laps! Even at a social, fun weekend club level I don't think 3 laps is much of a test.

There are many of us who can do it, look at Mr VMX, 90 odd riders. There was a feeling of satisfaction keeping it upright for the entire race and nothing more satisfying than seeing a rider in front and having a long enough race to catch them and attempt a pass. That to me is racing.

If we don't have the time in a regular race format to make all the races longer, what about an all in, 15 minute plus 1 lap 'Cast Iron Man Race' at the end of the meeting for those who want to test themselves and their bikes?
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

albrid-3

Re: Are VMX races too short? I think they are.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:50:24 am »
I feel its time to review the format of laps and classes, at our meetings we do have a 10 lap memorial race, and at our british meetings we also have a 10 lap race all in, also works well.

crankpin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 07:02:27 am »

All our races are 12-20 minutes, which usually equates to between 5 - 7 laps dependent on track length.

Couldn't imagine living with only 3 laps.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:37:59 am »
Unless transponders are mandated, and riders are prepared to accept the costs associated with them so that organizing clubs and associations can combine classes and not have arguments over who finished where, then 3 & 4 lap races will be the norm to fit the ridiculous amount of classes into a single race day. It is simple arithmetic, divide the amount of minutes it takes to complete a lap into a 6 to 7 hour program. Add a % time contingency for starting and finishing a race then you will have the amount of laps that can be completed in a day. Then it's just a matter of spreading the laps into how many classes you want to run. See easy. Just hope it doesn't rain or get so dusty you have to stop the schedule to water the track or god forbid that someone crashes hurts themselves and stops racing.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:02:43 am »
this has been debated more times than you can imagine on this forum and probably no more so than by worms.  For a smaller percentage of the guys (enter your own number here) longer races are required, for the remaining larger percentage (enter the rest percentage here) it is a social event where we want to get out with our bikes and older and now abused bodies, have a good time and get to work on Monday in one piece.  For the majority the 3-4 lap races appear to be the better option - however the "iron man" race at say the end of the day as you mention would be a good option.  We cater for a broader spectrum of racers than nearly any other forum - 16 to +80 years of age remember.

cheers
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:03:19 am »
They should be a min of 5 laps or 10 min's, we started racing at Nudgee last weekend at 10 am and with 3 full rounds it was over by 2.30pm, it was well run for a change and no mishaps which helps but one little mistake in a dash for cash 3 lapper and its all over, theres no endurance which MX is noted for....I vote for Worms for president....its a test of skill, endurance and bike prep.....they dont shorten 1/2 marathons do they (being realistic here, not many of us could walk let alone run 25 miles), theres plenty of old codgers doing sport these days that there fitness and self drive is amazing....the Nats should definately have longer races.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
If im leading a race they cant be short enough  ;D if i get a bad start the longer the better  ;) 10 mins min is a good starting point.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
I'm way past my motocross days but I think that 10 minutes+1 is a good round figure for the Nats except for the over fifty age groups for which I'd suggest 7 minutes +1 might be a good distance. If 10 minutes is too long for you right now, it at least gives you a good fitness goal to aim for.

I remember back in my old Annandale-Leichardt days in the early to mid '70's we often ran 20 minute motos at our club motocross meetings which got us either pretty damn fit or shifting our racing focus over to 3 lap per race dirt track days instead. :D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »
If im leading a race they cant be short enough  ;D if i get a bad start the longer the better  ;) 10 mins min is a good starting point.

Bill what length are the race's in NZ. Also you mentioned on another post about some class structure changes .How do you guys run the class's nowadays?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:13:06 pm »
I know it was wet, but how many riders started every race they were scheduled for at MrVMX? There were an awful lot of DNSes later in the day...

I like the idea, but I suspect that it would be a step backward for participation in the longer term.

[/devil's advocate]

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:23:40 pm »
The races are definately too short, they should be at least 10min moto's. It's Motocross not a picnic in the park.. if 10 mins is too long then do some exercise and improve your health, it can only be good for you.. It's meant to be a test of ability not just the guy with the best start wins.
The 20min moto's i rode in England last year were bloody hard work but all the grids were full with 40+ riders and no one was complaining!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »

Bill what length are the race's in NZ. Also you mentioned on another post about some class structure changes .How do you guys run the class's nowadays?
I never count the laps while racing but I'm pretty sure that 5 laps is the norm for us

TM BILL

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 02:46:34 pm »
In Nz the VMX scene is healthy but fragmented, as the various clubs and individuals that run events are not affiliated to any governing body.  So do not follow any one set of rules or MOMs .

This can be a double edged sword , having the freedom to run events and create classes  to suit each event is great , any disputes about bike eligibility (not that I can ever remember hearing any here) can be cleared up there and then as the and classes are self policing and the event organisers can have the final say . 

On the other side IMHO it would be nice to have a standard set of class rules and definite classes , so when you go to an event else where in the country you know that they will run Pre 75 , pre 78 , Evo etc.

Affiliating with MNZ though would be the death of VMX in NZ as those idiots couldn't run a cake stall at a school fete  ::)

Obviously we dont have the numbers you guys do so we tend to combine classes for racing .

Generally the VMX cut off is pre 1986 and I think this is acknowledged by all event organisers , some choose to run twin shock only events (ie classes up to  whats known in Aussie as Evo )

In the central north Island a group of blokes run a 5 rd series known as the Kiwi vintage series
http://livewire.gen.nz/livewireblog/

This series is now into its 9th season and has proved very popular and successful , it is also regarded by most as our national titles ( some may argue that point ) but it is the biggest and longest running VMX racing series in NZ .

So I will use this series as a guideline to answer as best I can . ( I am not on the organising committee for this series , just a happy punter since rd 1 series 1 ) so apologies for any inaccuracy.

Classes are 
Classic 125 , 250 , open .
This was the old pre 75 class ( and is still known as pre 75 witch can be confusing ) it caters for all bikes built pre 1976 and some 76 models 76 Kawasaki Kxs ,76 Honda Crs , 76 Yamaha Yzs and some 76 Euro models .

Evo  125, 250 , open
Bikes that are factory built (ie no modified linkage bikes ) twin shock, drum brake, air cooled built pre 1986 .

Within the Evo classes at series end the first Pre 78 125 , 250 , Open bikes are recognised as the Pre 78 champions .

Linkage 125, 250 , Open

Bikes that are liquid cooled , or have linkage suspension, or disc brakes built pre 1986.

EVO Lites
126cc to 185cc 2 strokes and up to 250cc 4 strokes 1976 to pre 1986 mostly trail and Enduro derived models .

Three rds of racing at each round, races average out at about 10 minutes or 5 laps .
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:52:31 pm by TM BILL »

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Davey, Nudgee is a short track ( 1 klm ) and with generaly 4 laps per race, thats why they can fit approx 13> racers per round. If it was to be 5-6 lap racers it would be a different story.  

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »
I agree 10 minutes is a good race length, even for the plus fifty age group. I will be 50 next year and more than happy to ride 10 min plus a lap. That is what true motocross is all about. I find its the younger blokes that get tired with the longer races anyway.