Author Topic: Thumper Nats back on track how good would it be???????  (Read 5106 times)

vmxmad

Thumper Nats back on track how good would it be???????
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:31 pm »
Would anyone be intersted in bringing back the Thumper Nats in a pre 90 class if not what year would be a good cut off ?? I only thought pre90 as there is a good bunch blokes running pre 90 now so it would slip in easy and you could also get that extra ride, How good would it be thumping or putting around great tracks on old thumpers and how many are out there just hanging around?
I was sitting with a group or blokes who are into horses and one said he dont ride he has old dirt bike, and we started talking bikes all had a bike at some stage but the one thing this group of missguided d..ks did ask me was what happend to the Thumper Nats is it still going it started me thinking again about how good a thing it was and why cant we get a class going.
Thanks John

TM BILL

Re: Thumper Nats back on track how good would it be???????
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:37:45 pm »
I think the thumper nats died when 4 strokes became mainstream MXers  :-\
While in theory your idea is a good one you would need a hell of a lot more pre 90s than are out there now to run a stand alone meeting , and if you are limiting it to pre 90 thumpers then i dont think it would ever fly.

You suggest pre 90 so does that mean 1985 to 1989 machines or year dot to 1989 machines ? I think the later would make more sense .

Maybe KW can be conviced to run the Stroker nats , a reverse of the the old thumper nats and run a pre 90 thumper class  ;) anyone got kevs number ? i think this could be the next big thing  :)

After going to Farliegh this year i have had to do a u turn on the whole pre 90 deal  ::) the pre 90 racing was awesome and full fields although not many thumpers .

vmxmad

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »
Hi Bill The pre 90 was I thought not a bad cut off so it would fit straight into the pre90 class and clubs running allready how easy could it be.
Thanks John

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:43:54 pm »
What a great thought. Brings back some great memories. Even the natural terain tracks that were used have been lost. I remember I think in 98 at Albary/Wodonga the roar of 50 odd four strokes [two deep off the start gate, back when there was less rules] echoing back off the side of the hill was revhead music. Balder park at mannum SA seem to die with the end of the thumper nats also. I believe the thumpers started off as a clubby rider event just to get bums on seats but turned into bein much bigger. With that concept in mind I cant see why it wouldnt have the same effect again. I look forward to seeing were this goes.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:48 pm »
That you John G?  :)

ThumperNats died of is own success, AFAIK. The early days were about punters who had rejected the hype of modern MX, but it quickly grew to be too pro-focussed. Combined with the arrival of the YZF400, the whole series more-or-less ran out of reason to exist.
The Amcross series has taken up a lot of the slack.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

vmxmad

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:51:16 am »
All about the punters very good I like that I have been talking to a lot of people about this and all the blokes I talk to are all saying the same think keep it to a pre 90 cut off and punters will come I dont belive we need to extend the cut off and the more people I talk to are saying the same thing pre 90 only??? What do you do.

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:05:36 am »
I rode the Thumpernats for a couple of years in the mid 90's on a Husaberg. The tracks were fantastic natural terrain ones. Back then there were twin shock races to fill in the days program. These were dropped as there became too many 4 stroke classes.
I agree that the Nats became too successful and the original idea for the series was lost. Manufacturers saw it as a promotion for their products to spend big dollars and get top riders to win. With the YZ400F becoming the way of the future, a stand alone 4 stroke series became pointless.
Why can't a 4 stroke class be a permanent part of VMX? If it was pre 90( and maybe no YZF's) wouldn't this keep everyone happy? Maybe we would see more 4 strokes come out if owners new they had their own events on the calendar.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
I've been thinking about this for a few days and now reckon it'd fall on its arse as a stand alone series, pre 90 or not. When the Thumpernats was developed the two stroke reigned supreme on the motocross front but all of the manufacturers also made decent four stroke enduro bikes. The organisers saw it as an opportunity to push a product that was being undersold to the race public...the humble four stroke dirt bike. It's no accident that two of the originators of the series, Hans Apelgren and Geoff Ballard had  businesses right in the thick of the Thumpernats concept, Hans with flogging off more TE and TC610 Huskies and Ballard with his XR's Only Business being front row centre to flog off all sorts of XR Honda go fast goodies. The success of the series had major impact on both (and many other) businesses. It was a racing and financial boomer.

However, as the Husky, Husabergs and KTM four strokes got better and then the YZ400 Yamaha came along, the original concept of the sport being for hot rodded XR's, TT's and amateur riders had morphed into a series that rivaled the mainstream motocross championship and attracted full factory support and the best riders the factories could afford. C grade mid packer Billy Bloggs on his home modified two year old XR600 was sort of forgotten in the rush. Within a couple of years the new wave of 4T motocrossers were king and the need for the series was done and dusted, replaced in essesnce by the Am-Cross series.

Cut to today and we find that the four stroke hasn't made much of a dent in the Evo/pre 85 vintage race program. Sure, there's a few HL's and the occasional tricked up XT/TT, XL/XR or Can-Am Sonic but overall four strokes haven't made the impact on the post '78 vintage scene that the class had done during the hey day of pre '75 vintage racing. Back then the four strokes had their own well supported stand alone class featuring a huge selection of XL Honda based specials, BSA singles and all sorts of weird and wacky thumpers. It's that lack of interest on the Evo+ scene that makes me sceptical that a four stroke only Vintage Thumpernats would work in todays mindset.

To propose a series one would need a potential entry pool of 60-80 4 stroke racers that are keen enough to want to commit to the event. I'm guessing here but I reckon you could scour the whole east coast of this great land and only scrape up half of the needed entries. To tempt racers not already four stroke mounted to build a bike purely to fit into the series the organisers would have to have a pretty damn good media spin in action. The original Thumpernats had Geoff Eldridge and ADB pushing the concept in every issue which worked a treat but quite frankly that kind of blanket spin just plain won't happen in today's moto media environment. Remember also that back when the Thumpernats was in full song, the factories were selling four stroke trailbikes like eccies at a dance party wheras today the bread and butter bulletproof four stroke trailie has been replaced by the YZM/CRM/DRZ hand grenade pure racers which would be ineligible for the show. If you add the dodgy state of the economy to the mix, to me it's not such an appealing concept.

I hate playing bad cop to John's good cop, I think that in theory it's a good idea that unfortunately has too many pins sitting ready to burst the baloon. ;)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »
What I was saying but much better written Mark.
But what if it was a class at existing VMX meets? Pre 90, no YZF's. I guess the closest thing to a proper race 4 stroke was the Husqvarnas, but generally it would be TT's and XR's.
Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

vmxmad

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »
Hi me old mate Mark I must find more time to put more into what Iam getting at The idea was that we have it as a support class for the pre90 2 strokes and hope that it runs along side the pre 90 2 strokes I think it would be great.
When building H.E.A.V.E.N  I always had thoughts of getting a over 35/40 what ever race going so the club have more numbers and the boy could have bought out the new and old and had a heap of rides all day but you had to ride evo or vintage before you got a entery into the modern stuff we where very close but never had to look at it as we had very good numbers running around before I pulled the pin and Mark did the big hand over.
Mate must catch up soon John

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »
Would anyone be intersted in bringing back the Thumper Nats

TRANSMOTO Magazine just delivered 11 pages in May issue # 19.
Looks like they where very much a BIG part of the glory days of Aussie MX and Enduro  :P  :P

cheers A
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:51:52 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:46 pm »
Little known fact It was me Slakewell that started the thumber nats.
The year the thumber nats started I applied and received the rights to run a Aus 4 stroke MX champs from MA, I rang old GE at ADB to try and round up some Press and he goes and me and Ballard are thinking the same thing, We drank beer and thrashed out the details , the first two years of thumber nats had a EVO class, I was the clerk of course at the first ever Thumber Nats. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:24 pm »
Would anyone be intersted in bringing back the Thumper Nats

TRANSMOTO Magazine just delivered 11 pages in May issue # 19.
Looks like they where very much a BIG part of the glory days of Aussie MX and Enduro  :P  :P

cheers A

Hey Alison
Was that written by Pete Whitker
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »
I was the clerk of course at the first ever Thumber Nats. 

You didnt wear a high-vis vest back in the day, so can't see you in the pics..I knew you was there but....  ;D

Hey Alison
Was that written by Pete Whitker

No a bloke named "Andy Wigan" perhaps some long distant cousin of GB's brother in law ;)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »
Pete writes allot of stuff for Andy , he told me he was writing a bunch of stuff about old tracks etc