Author Topic: modern Dirt track  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
modern Dirt track
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:16:05 am »
Paul Caslick

It isnt old news that Dirt Track is struggling. Interestingly enough with what evolved this year in regards to the commission being dismissed, Dirt Track was in no position to lose 2 members on the commission who worked in the best interest of the sport going forward, unlike some others who would like to think we can repeat the 60s and 70s. MNSW now want to help with the introduction of a survey that will produce more questions than real answers, I dont even think the questions are designed around rebuilding anything to be honest. Competitor feedback is crutial, as is volunteers and officials but there are so many issues in defining what is wrong before anything can be done for going forward. Policing and vacating bad behaviour, drug issues including steroids and social drug and alcohol issues, clubs not working together with a uniform calendar, the business of revenue over putting the sport first also complicates a calendar, unqualified/inexperienced staff making decisions on what can and cant happen in Dirt track, grading and quality open days non existence, track standards and variations between surfaces. Heres a suggestion, with all the revenue that has been raised, employ an administrator in a paid position who is then accountable for getting the discipline going again, but what has happened in previous times, as I have been told, it cant be an experienced, passionate figure head as they will only put the sport before the business of MNSW or MA, and that is the truth! Isnt that what is needed to go forward? I have been involved in this sport longer than most and nowhere near as long as some others, but I believe in what I say, have said and will continue long after the tall poppies have gone that are preventing this sport from being what it truly can become once some accept that the 60s sold really cheap acid and everyone had a great time, times change and its about time some realised
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: modern Dirt track
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:28:41 am »
I agree with the calenders needing to be set out better especially the nationals and down.   Also the social club memberships who seem to run the clubs but forget about the rider imput, prices go up  so they make a profit, but forget its about the racing / riding and there pushing it further away.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:18:29 pm »
 The whole situation relies heavily on actions or inaction of the riders themselves.
 As with most other human endeavours the majority recognise problems and have some idea of what to do about them, but after they unload there bikes back home they forget it 'till next race day.
 The way for changes to happen is to get together with like minded people and thrash out an action plan.
 The standard forum for this is your "home" club.
 If this doesn't seem to work, maybe the club hierarchy needs to be renewed or maybe you're in  a club thats' interests are in other areas of the sport.
 The point of all this is the squeeky wheels get the attention.
 I have personally always been happy with the performance by the executive of my "home" club and feel that issues have always had a fair hearing and appropriate action taken as thought necessary by the members present. however like all clubs these days, not enough riders turn up to club meetings,
 The lack of nominations for some recent MCNSW committee positions is a case in point.
 Committee members do get a bit browned off when recomendations to controlling bodies seem to fall on deaf ears, but riders have the responsibility to back up their committe members and keep hammering away.
 By the way, this doesn't mean go to your club meeting and get stuck into all and sundry, every one there is there for the good of the sport.
cheers pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:58:39 pm »
Dirt Track has become the nursery for our up & coming riders looking to move on to several other types of motorcycle racing, because being the best on Dirt Track isn't as prestigiuos as it was, it has become the forgotten brother.
I seriously thought about putting my hand up for the DT committee but I had had no involvment for nearly 30 years and would've been out of my depth.
From what I can gather there is a long list of people who have come along and started out with total enthusiasm for the sport, only to eventually become sick of banging their heads against the wall.
Standing in the pits at the DT titles in Canberra chatting old times with several of the real Short Circuit legends, the striking thing for me is that most of the competitors looked like they were fresh out of school, but they all had just as much, if not more, actual racing experience already as the legendary hard head's that I admired and dreamt of emulating when I was a kid.
These day's, not many people stay in the sport long enough to really make at a difference, it's used as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.
Why do we as a small country continue to punch well above our weight, stop & smell the rose's and feed the bastards on the way through.
Shite, I've gone all serious, sorry.