Author Topic: Cross Country Bike trek  (Read 1533 times)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Cross Country Bike trek
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »
Seeking advise on how to set up a bike for a round trip crossing of outback Queensland and Simpson Desert and back again on something like a DR650, XR650 or XR400. Interested in good ways of carrying luggage, spares, fuel and water so suggestions on back packs, panier style luggage bags, tank bags etc to suit dirt bikes. Could be a couple of bikes involved and we will need to be self sufficient carrying most of our gear.

Any info or advise on bike prep or bike choice is appreciated. We're not planning on making it a fast trip, probably three weeks all up during 2012 winter season.

Peter

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Country Bike trek
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:45:37 pm »
You'll probably get a cheap 747 from Qantas by then Pete, be much more comfortable aswell....couple of topless hosties, invite all your mates (and Ed), could be the trip of a lifetime....fark the bike, do it in style. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 06:50:03 pm »
A few mates and I done quite e few desert trips in the late 90's, I had a  Yamaha TT600 Belgarda :-[ with a 21 ltr Acerbis tank which gave a fair range,if we needed more fuel we used throw over the seat type saddle bags with 5 ltr containers in each,it was very awkward to get on & off the bike,made the handling sketchy & hard to use the kickstarter  (for that reason I would probably go for button start) but it was better than pushing because of no juice!, we would transfer the contents of the  side containers to the main tank as soon as we could to bring the handling back to normal,Nowadays you can buy an aftermarket rear fender tank,I think they are called bum tanks,i reckon they would also dramatically affect the handling as they are high up & rear biased.

As far as carrying gear,we used a small rear rack & spread the load half on the seat,sometimes we also used a tankbag,If you are using a tent you can share the different components between bikes,i.e. someone carries the poles,someone else carries the fly etc,before the trip you work out who is bringing what other stuff such as cookers etc so you do not double up on things & can share each others.
It's worth spending time checking out camping /hiking stores & seeing what is the lightest & smallest things you will need that fit in your budget,I would do a couple of small weekend trips first to work out what you really need & what you don't & the best way to pack the bike.

We carried for spares tubes,chain joiners,cable repair kits & generally just what you would use on a trailride,if you start out  with your bike in good mechanical nick, new tires & heavy duty tubes you should be o.k.
Camelbak make a good range of backpacks,I used a H.A.W.G , 2 ltrs of water & just big enough to fit enough gear & not break your back.

We never crossed the simpson & I am not sure if it is possible to do without backup because of the long distance fuel wise, you would have to look into that.

Cheers Smed :)     P.S. you lucky buggers, wish i could go!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:56:19 pm by smed »

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:41 pm »
Thanks smed, you have some good suggestions.

Looks like i'll go with a DR650, a few of the others will be on DR's so it makes sence for carrying spares, we'll all have the one sort of bike and the same spares.

Just need to get sorted with a bike, and start to look at what gear me and the bike will need.

Peter