Author Topic: Aussie Classic Speedway titles  (Read 16527 times)

Curly3

Re: Aussie Classic Speedway titles
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 05:36:42 pm »
Well done Freaky, you've even got the lingo down pat, turn 4.
The uneducated tend to think, but there's only 2 corners on a Speedway track.
There's a lot going on in that 60 seconds of racing.
Great sport for ADHD sufferers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:38:21 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2011, 06:27:12 pm »
thats why i reckon its ready for  relaunch success, short sessions, outcomes, perfect for GEN Y
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:33:53 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »
Great photos again Freaky! I reckon some of those bikes have got a few ( I mean a shit load) of extra kilos to carry around :D
        regards Mark

Curly3

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »
You're right Mark.
There are a couple of chunky's there for sure, but hey, I'm not an Adonis anymore.
But don't it look like fun?

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »
Hey Slides, some those boys look a bit quick don't you think?   cheers Mark

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2011, 12:24:58 am »
yeah most are over 35 up to 70, so its hard to cut a fine figure after youth leave you.  MErv got to be 55 and so on, those older league guys too. 
But wouldnt say there any slower, probally got more to prove, and not racing 2 - 3 a week is alot easy on the body, being one night only.  :D
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline cr4ever

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:24 am »
Freaky that's Kevin Webb in the yellow leathers passing you, for some reason he was last out the gate every start and had to work his way through the field each time. Merv Janke is wearing black leathers with red stripe ( JW on left shoulder)  and was always first out the gate every start and disappeared into the distance in the 2v class! Unfortunately his Jap maggy played up and restricted him to 3rd in the ESO/Jap class. Nigel Sadler was pure class in the 4v upright class, someone said he was once rated #3 in the world? Great night out, ran into lots of people I hadn't seen for 30 years!! ( PS where can we find those photo's?)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »
Cool thanks Rob, i only came across him on the heat board hence i said 'i think thats Swervin mervin'.  Either way all them old buggers are still faster than most of us toe pokers.

There is a pic up there above of you ( assume in the 33 race jacket)  if so i only saw one more of that one get up.  what was Doug wearing and ill ask the lady if she has any more.   Not sure who she was but they came via a few people, i think she was with the sidecar crowd, as all her pics were mostly outfits.  I think she only had these solos as she was out there on the infeild waiting to take some snaps of Ivan M
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2011, 01:20:54 pm »
Nigel Sadler was pure class in the 4v upright class, someone said he was once rated #3 in the world?

He was cetainly up there and and fast tracked young rider, but if i recall it was all cut short when he had a heart mumor under 21yr meeting and he was told to stop immediatly, returned to Australia and the rest is history.  I raced with him in the 4 valve class last year and he was just smooth as, HE has been back for the classic title for a few years now and love's it, i did hear there are about 5 more Qld riders who were coming down but dates , bikes clashed but they are keen as for next year and planning already ( some flew down to just watch ).

I think a lot of these old racers will be stacking up for a run next year and the event will keep getting bigger and bigger, we might have to qualify to even get a run ????  Doh....

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:25:49 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline cr4ever

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »
Marshy, Dougy was wearing my old Rowley Park number 68, you've got one nice shot of him there. Did allright for a 16 year old kid having his first ever ride..stayed upright and smooth..I was also pretty happy to stay upright ( but  certainly was not smooth) having my first ride for 30 years. Very special experience to race against my son in classic Dirt Track, Crystal Brook VMX and classic speedway, all in one year. Even better to still be competitive with him! This could be the last year I'll be beating him so I'm making the most of it!
Those sidecar guys all got their dates mixed up, most of them thought they were at the World Titles at Murray Bridge this weekend rather than the Classic titles...... Crazy stuff, bumping and banging, ramming passengers....just like the old days. Peter Menz was VERY lucky the bike missed him when he had the BIG flip. Fantastic to watch though, and to talk to Ivan Mauger and see him ride again ( although slowly) was an added bonus.
 You be careful at Murray Bridge and Renmark on those chairs, and have fun on the 2v.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 04:07:12 pm »
Yeah wish my dad let me ride a bloody bike when i was a kid.  Your lucky you have the contacts, not many people can loan 2 bikes, 2 outfits and gear.  so dougy should be kissing your arse big time for the oppertunity if nothing else.  I've spend $5 grand over time just to ride the track.

Not sure if dougy was in any of my heats... only one i can find here is a solo shot no groupings, will keep looking.  Get him confused with that Kane kids suit side on.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:04:17 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »
yer some of them Sidecar boy like to Rub......  sometimes it ends in tears.

I have always had one rule in classic racing.  'No one get's hurt'.  Just have to convince these guys to think a bit more.  Reality is its only a plastic trophy or a Prity sash, not worth killing someone over.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:19:37 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 10:59:13 am »
Plenty have gone west doin' it freaky-especially passengers in speedway.
It's not for me tho I've had plenty of offers over the years.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2011, 02:11:46 pm »
Not the same track but Mildura, but the vincents there as it those Red gum sleeper fence walls...  this is a great track to ride, pits are shit but hopefully gettign an upgrade soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9rWQppj2oI
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »
Hey Freaky
Think that is Peter Tolley in red and white leathers and Doug Cotterell on the other HRD. Peter taught me to swing on his HRD at Brooklyn Speedway in the early 70s while Doug built one of the first waterbottles. Both lived in the Bentleigh/Brighton area of Melbourne. Peter now races a sweet Triumph 500 with his son as the swinger while Doug built a nice Jawa 500cc Sidecar and both race at Broadford. Still in the Bentleigh East and Ormond areas. Tim had some pictures listed back a few months ago. I stayed with the solos, they kept telling me that the swinger had control over where the bike went but I felt I was the padded balast that stopped the next bike hitting the driver. Got admit though those boys could party. Saw Clarrie Jones eat some goldfish one night at the clubhouse in Mildura to get back at Taylor who had put a snake in his toolbox. Clarrie managed to throw them back up a while later after quite a few beers. Luved to fight on and off the track. I remember sporting a black eye for a few weeks cos Doug reckoned I talked too much for a young brat. Unfortunately the photos you showed from Adelaide seem to look like they are still battling for sheep stations. Must go back to the old saying for the 3 wheeled folk. "You don't have to be insane but it helps."
Rosco86