Author Topic: Aussie Classic Speedway titles  (Read 16540 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie Classic Speedway titles
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
interesting night all round, plenty to see and do, had funon the solo, even put a crash in for good measure and trashed my new riding gear first time out.  Top points scored in the heats on the outfit, prity sure we could have taken it out, but bike was over heating all night ( stuck thermo stat in the water bottle) ended up doing this weird thing where it would heat out and vapour lock the fuel and george would have to chop the throttle in and out to keep it running, unfortunatly happened on the start gate and the rest if history.  Bike hadnt been started in 2 years, after his brother died, so this was onky fired up down the first heat with finger crossed, nothing like leaving it to the lastminute.  We finished in 3rd for the night which is a positive i guess.......  what could have been though huh.  thats racing i guess but doesnt hurt any less.   it would have been a good win for a fairy tale comeback.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:58:34 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »
ooh year took some snaps, will post soon.  could be a bid dodgey i was just snapping as i passed a few, but there might be someting in there.  Saw ivan mauger too, but not sure if i took a picture of him on jack youngs bikes doing  a lap.  have to wait and see when i get motivated enough to unload the van. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:02:54 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
nothing a bit of supercharging cant fix right, ill just sit it on here ok  ;)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:07:16 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »
this outfit was for sale for $4k including trailer  ;)

74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »
The Championship JAck young bikes.  Taken for a parade lap or two by Ivan.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:29:27 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
My old girl on a warm up run.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 10:34:05 pm »
tore the corner off the bottom of my steel shoe, who was it on here that could fix them and hard face em ?

can you PM me, need to get it fixed in the next 2 weeks. :-[
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:35:40 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »
Great pics Freakster,
       LOVE those old speedway bikes... shit ,.. hang on,.. sorry  i just dribbled all over  the keyboard ;D ;D   Also,  a couple of questions, an old friend used to refer to a 2 valve Jawa as an ESO . I know the answer to that but he also refered to a Vincent as a HIRDA. or HEARDER.   That might have  something to do with HRD ( a slang term)? maybe??
    Regards   Mark

Curly3

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
Thanks for the pic's Freaky, Drivin Ivan looks good on that old that old JAP, I bet he still cuts a fine style on the track.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:03 pm »
Great stuff, Freaky, the blown V twin Beezer outfit is tops !!.
Foss

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:09 pm »
Slider29   --  Eso just have more webs on the crank halfs and the badge on the rocker cover as far as i know, prity much the same thing just basically ones kinda pre 70 and the other post as far as i can tell, so either name and you know what motor there taking about.

i reckon your right about the HRD, i hear them say herds too
( im sure the old boys can tell you why)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:49:16 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »
Thanks for the pic's Freaky, Drivin Ivan looks good on that old that old JAP, I bet he still cuts a fine style on the track.

not really, he just putted around.  the JY bike were ina guys lounge room, before they brought them along, never stated since the resto. They even forgot the clutch was on finger tight and it flew off before they realised , so needed another quick check over before IM took it for a spin.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Curly3

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »
That's a shame, I saw some footage of him riding recently and he still went okay.
Understandable that they didn't want to trash a precious  old girl like that.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 10:38:16 pm »
i think he was worried about the rods or somthing being fragile.

HE did spin around on a modern but we were getting ready for the finals an i missed it but someone said he just putted that around too.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 06:03:34 am »
In the early 1930s, Phil Vincent decided he wanted to build quality motorcycles, so he purchased the rights etc to the HRD brand, once owned by Howard R. Davies, already known for its high standards, the Vincent name was added to the tank decals etc with the initials HRD prominent and the company used bought in engines from several suppliers.

However, in 1934, after troubles at the TT, and I hate to admit this, with JAP engines, young Phil had designed his own motors, which were very successful.

The Vincent motor , as we know it, had it's origin, in 1936, in a chance transposition of two drawings of the new Vincent -HRD 500 single, into a V twin configuration, the designer of the singles, and of course the twins, was Aussie engineer and designer,  Phil Irving, these series A V twins morphed into the B, C, and D series.

Post WW 2 ,the V twins became the "must have" motor for Aussie speedway outfits, and as some of them had the HRD logo prominent on the rocker covers, timing covers and tanks , they became known as Herds or Hirdy Girdys, in late 1949 the logo was changed to simply Vincent as is mostly seen today.

Foss
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:41:29 am by JAP 454 »