Author Topic: Best ever trials riders  (Read 3443 times)

TooFastTim

Best ever trials riders
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:22 am »
Here's a list from Todotrial (http://www.todotrial.com/ttactual/reportajes/rankingmundial.htm) of the best trials riders. In a nut shell you get 20 points for a world/european/Henri Groutars trophy*, 17 points for a second etc and all the world championship points scorers are ranked according to the points they have scored.

Have a careful look at the names. There's a few surprises.

*The world championship started as the Henri Groutars trophy, became the European championship (which in 1974 included a round in the US!) and then, in 1975, became the world championship.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:55:02 am by TooFastTim »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Best ever trials riders
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:14:46 am »
Roger DeCoster at # 101 ??? Now there's a surprise. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:20:13 am »
But who had the biggest effect, on bringing trials riding to the forefront.  I can't get past Sammy Miller and the Bultaco Sherpa S
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:03 pm »
The very fact that Sammy is ranked at #32, with Malcolm Rathmell at 6 and Don Smith at 21 tells me all I need to know about THAT ranking system... ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:18 pm »
And in english.Jordi Tarrés is tied with Dougie Lampkin with 7 world titles, but 2 of the have been less active years
The story of the trial is recent in comparison with other sports, but exciting as few. Over the years the trial has left us great drivers many remember forever, some becoming great myths of this sport.
Sure that many times you have asked who has been the best pilot trial of history, and that post would occupy all of them in case there is a world ranking. As well, this was precisely the original idea of Ramón Cererols, uncle of Josep Manzano and us Todotrial we take the witness to continue updating the ranking after the end of each season the world of trial.
Thus, this historical ranking establishes a classification of all the most important drivers of trial over 46 years, from 1964 to 2008. It doubts you resolveréis and you will find the position of such famous drivers such as Sammy Miller, Tycho Vesterinen, Jordi Tarrés, Thierry Michaud, Mick Andrews, Malcolm Rahtmell, Eddie Lejeune, Bernie Schreiber, Martin, John and Dougie Lampkin, or the last champions Fujinami, Raga and Bou.
Of course the Spanish pilots representing us in international competitions at the highest level: Amos Bilbao, Marc Colomer, David Cobos, Joan Pons, Angel García, Lluís Gallach, Andreu Codina, Gabino kidney, Jaime Subirà, Toni Gorgot, Manuel Soler, Pedro Pi, Ignacio Bultó...

The Belgian Eddy Lejeune ranks 9th thanks to its three mundialesUlf Karlsson is 12 °, with a world in its Palmares

French Thierry Michaud is eighth, shame that an injury withdraw you prematurely
To make this historic ranking all global character tournaments held so far have been considered. First Challenge Henry Groutards, regarded as the first international Championship at the global level involving the best drivers in the specialty of the time, which was held in four editions between 1964 and 1967. This pageant later gave rise to the Championship of Europe, concluded between the years 1968 and 1974, moving finally renamed the World Championship until today.
The place occupied by each driver at the end of the Championship has punctuated as if it were a trial: 20 points to the champion, 17 for runner-up, 15 for the third and so on (13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 for the fifteenth). The result is as if a great Championship which began in 1964 and in which each test lasts for a year was playing. As between the pilots of the ranking there still is enough to remain active, these identified with an asterisk, so their scores continue to grow. In total there are 158 pilots who at least on one occasion have been among the 15 first in a Championship.
The leader, and therefore the best driver of all time trial was Jordi Tarrés until 2006 with a total of 218 points, thanks to its seven world championship titles, two champion, a third, a fourth, a fifth, and an eleventh place in his 13 appearances in the world. But at the end of the 2006 season, Dougie Lampkin he succeeded him as King of the trial, which in 2003 could match the record of 7 world titles. In addition Dougie still active and 2008 has been its involvement in the global part.

The Finnish Vesterinen is 5, three world, two champion...
Takahisha Fujinami is placed in the third place thanks to his world title in 2004 and its seven champion, beating Marc Colomer is fourth since in his final season of 2003 surpassed Vesterinen, thanks to its four champion, two others, a world title, etc. The Finnish becomes fifth with three World Championship titles, two champion, two third, a fifth, a sixth, two lost, a tenth and a fifteenth in its also 13 participations.
The champion in the years 2005 and 2006, Adam Raga, climbed so many positions in the ranking, and after the 2008 season in which he has been runner-up is placed on place 11, but we must take into account that still has rope for a while. Toni Bou with his two world titles in his fifth and sixth season is placed at number 31. Others are still going strong as Albert Cabestany (sixteenth) or Jeroni Fajardo (36 °). In recent years has incorporated Dabill, ern 2007 who came strong was Dani Oliveras and in 2008 only a new post, that of Michael Brown.
Among the main curiosities is see which was the world champion of formula 1 and major pilot cars, the Belgian Jacky Ickx, in its early days was a good trialero, and in fact ranked 63rd in the rankings. O
Translate webpage http://www.todotrial.com/ttactual/reportajes/rankingmundial.htm  Clear All 
   Copy       Rating:  Good
  Poor
  Offensive

Thank you for your feedback. 

Language Tools  Powered by Microsoft® Translator 
See this page on your mobile device
Microsoft® Indic Language Input Tool (Romanized text to Indic scripts transliteration)
Bing Dictionary (English-Chinese)
Microsoft® Maren (Romanized text to Arabic script transliteration)    NEW: Sign up for the Microsoft Translator API using Windows Azure Marketplace. The set of offers includes an option for FREE use of the API. You can try out the functionality of the Translator API without having to write any code, right on the Windows Azure Marketplace. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tbot is an automated buddy that provides translations for Windows Live Messenger. You can have one-on-one conversations with Tbot or invite friends who speak different languages with Tbot translating for you. Simply add [email protected] to your Messenger contacts. Simply add [email protected] to your Messenger contacts. 

© 2011 Microsoft | Privacy | Legal | Advertise | Help | Feedback
what ! Who me ? Nah

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »

Go on then, keep looking. You've missed the surprise of all. Hint: he's also a Belgiian.

TooFastTim

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
But who had the biggest effect, on bringing trials riding to the forefront.  I can't get past Sammy Miller and the Bultaco Sherpa S

Sammy, biggest impact? Possibly. But was he the most successful at international level? Clearly not (see below). BTW the Sherpa S was a scrambler, the T was the trials bike.

The very fact that Sammy is ranked at #32, with Malcolm Rathmell at 6 and Don Smith at 21 tells me all I need to know about THAT ranking system... ::)

Aha! I forget when the Henri Groutars trophy kicked off but it would have been about 1964. By that time Sammys best days as a competitor were over. But as a development rider he was still king. Also the HG trophy was mostly a European thing and considered by the Brits as very much secondary to the Brtitish Championship so few bothered apart from the occasional excuse for a european holiday. When it became the European championship it grew in stature.

As for an alternative ranking system: I'm stuffed if I can think of a better alternative.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:39 pm »
Lampkin
Sammy not the best human being
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:44:11 pm »
Sorry how dumb am I that was what I had a 125 Sherpa S, correction Sherpa T!!!
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

TooFastTim

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »
Lampkin
Sammy not the best human being

My dad had little time for him. An irascible perfectionist. Probably the first really professional trials rider (he used to have a glass of milk and be in bed at 9 during the SSDT while the rest where throwing back pint after pint). Nonetheless we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for services to motorcycling.

Lampkin? Yeah maybe. Nice enough guy apparently. I've never met Martin but I have met Alan. Martins son Dougie is, I hear, a very nice chap but when he's on the bike when he gets into the "zone".

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »
Back in early 70's Sammy toured out here and while here in the west, so i'm told by my father Sammy had a conversation with Graham Smythe, who was sponsored by Loydd Chapman the local Bultaco dealer, whether he had damaged the rear whell on his bultaco yet.  Graham told him he hadn't. Sammy said, well your not trying hard enough.  next race meeting Smythe destroyed the rear wheel.
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »
I'll vote for the ones still at it and those that can travel miles for the sport  ;D 

http://www.legendsofdirt.co.nz/2011images/110930/robert-cochrane_taranaki-vintage-dirt-ad-col_lores.pdf

cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:12 pm »
I saw him at Bulla [in victoria ]When he came out here.He seemed to defy gravity.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:19:28 pm »

Go on then, keep looking. You've missed the surprise of all. Hint: he's also a Belgiian.
Would you mean #63 Jacky Ickx?

TooFastTim

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »
No flies on them Kiwis  ;D