Author Topic: AT LAST.... CR250M.  (Read 9352 times)

Quicksilver

AT LAST.... CR250M.
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:05:04 pm »
Heres a my start to relive those wonderful good ol days fanging around on my 250m. I loved that bike like no other owned before or since. The day the old man traded her in on an RM370 for me was both exciting and sad. The RM was fun but I never got over the CR250m. I wanted it back.

I have been lucky tracking once owned bikes to current oweners, in some case been able buy them back.
My original CR250m I was able to track to the point where it was sold in early or mid 1990s the a Jeff homes or Geoff Holmes a bloke who's name is close those in Brisbane. This bloke also rode super cross back then too I told. He purchased her from bloke in north west NSW through Just bikes mag as a roller with engine in bits. Thats last point I have been able to trace it to. I have never been able to track that bloke down to follow up on where it might be now. Now lost.. :( :(

So I cant find my original the best next step was find another. I have done almost that. Got some of a bike.
Whats not in picture I dont have... Soooo guys if you have any of those missing bits PM me. ;D. Not sure what im going to do about the chrome frame, I sort of like it but chrome is not in the best shape. Why someone chromed I dont know. It had been done many years ago. To rechrome would cost a bomb and getting it off is another concern.
As I gather parts and put her together I will add updates

Big thanks to 500FOOL and BIGK for supplying the parts to get me to this point.. Thanks guys..

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:41:21 pm by Quicksilver »

Quicksilver

Re: AT LAST.... CR250M.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:58:15 am »
 ;D ;D.  A complete engine has been found in Oz and a price ageed on, now in the process of getting it here to add to the 250m pile. Also a pair of sidecovers and an airbox have also been found here in Oz.  ;D ;D

A rear guard, pipe and few small bits yet to find, then things should start coming together..

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:46:35 pm »
It gets exciting when the pieces start arriving, good luck Quickie.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Quicksilver

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:20:26 pm »
It gets exciting when the pieces start arriving, good luck Quickie.

Thanks DJ.. Yeah very exciting. I am overjoyed at the rate this bike this coming together.

Its been a good news day all round. Had a suprise phone call this morning from my boy. He is home, back in Australia after being at war in the middle east. Our boy is on Aussie soil again for two whole weeks before he has to return. Thats two whole weeks not stressing, not worrying. Its been a bloody great day....

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:34:47 pm »
Get that son of yours doing the good stuff in life Quickie, put a beer in one hand and a spanner in the other and do some rebuilding  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Maico31

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:51 pm »
Quicky i know Geoff Holmes well, if you want to ask him about your CR250m PM me and i'll give you his number. He's had a few CR250m's but he would probably know where they are now.

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:47:29 am »

Heres a story  ;D ;D ;D
I have just spoken to Geoff. The bloke that had my original 250m. I now have new leads to follow.
Heres the funny part. Remember I offered the RM250T up to trade for CR250M in another thread and got no takers.  ::).......Well Geoff swapped my original CR250M restored for " Wait for it"   An RM250T.. Hows thats!!!!  ??? ???

Quicksilver

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:08:20 pm »
26 years since I owned my first CR250M, its been a long long time between it and my currect pile of parts. At CD-5 KB171 let me chuck a leg over his CR250m for a few mins. Thanks KB that was one of the major highlights of the trip.. Cheers D. ;)

Bigk has pair of side plates, rear guard and airbox tucked away for me. The engine mentioned in earlier post has arrived. Gearbox shifts nicely and bore seems to standard when measured with electronic caliper ( will need bore guage to 100% sure ). Nathan delivered 2 x Frames, 4 x cranks and 4x engine case sets to CD-5 for me from a deal worked out in the weeks before.  Thanks Nathan, saved me shit loads in freight costs.. ;) The pile is growing  ;D. Soon a bike will grow from these parts.

One of major parts that is still needed is a pipe. I have decided I want to go with an original or copy of an original. This bike will be riden but I doubt I will race it. No queen either just a nice bike I can enjoy week end riding.

Anyone have a stock pipe to sell/trade. Even if it has a few dents? Another option I have is if a can just borrow a pipe I know a bloke who can copy it almost exactly. His local too  ;D

Quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »
The works guard was tossed yesterday mate. Just a nice long scar to add to the collection.  ;)

Cut, shut, beaten. Wont matter as long as it retains basic shape to be copied. I have seen the mans work. Top jobs too. He used to build custom bike chambers in 70s/80s in Sydney. Fitter & turner by trade he also has some wild custom engine/frame combo's.
The purchase of a good pipe would be best but my man has offered to build me a pipe if I get one he can copy. Only difference between stock pipe and his is that his dont have seams and they not combo of welded together cones, he pumps them into shape. Got his own methord to ensure they only expand where he wants it too.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 09:47:15 pm »
Found these bits.Are the front guards the same on 250 as 125 ???
HONDA CR 125M front guard $20 CR125m3 front guard $50 rear guard $80 SUZUKI TM 250 left number plate $50 BULTACO MK 7 Right number plate $20
Price:
WA number
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:48:49 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Quicksilver

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 07:35:55 am »
Yeah mate CR250M front guard is same as CR125M also same guard is used on MT250 and MT125.  ;)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 07:52:01 am »
See Quicky - I kept telling you things will come good for you  8)
Glad to hear it mate - you  deserve a break.  Good luck tracking down your original bike.
As far as the frame goes - you should be able to take it to an electoplaters and they will be able to remove the chrome using a reverse electrolysis type process.  Worth exploring anyway (??)

If the 250 Eslie comes up anywhere as good as the little Xr you will definitely be on a winner.

Take it easy.  cheers T.J.B.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 03:09:27 pm »
Since we purchased a nice original CR250m my first thoughts were to sell off the parts I had gathered and get some dollars back. However rather then do that I thought I would see what I could do with the second bike/bits to make it usable. Looking at some of the other Honda's I had laying around I thought "the old xl350 " might be alright. Did some checking and trial fitting and discovered the complete wheels fitted on CR no worries the only part that wont work is rear backing due to the CRs cable brake. Front wheel is perfect fit and has a bigger brake as well which plays into my hands as i'll use this bike on oil track.
Just few more bits to get and I hope to take it out for a run.

Still looking for inlet pipe ( one on it is stuffed ). Petcock for the tank, brake pedal, backing plate off a CR or MT for the rear wheel, head too if one comes up as the one on it has many busted fins.
The rear guard, airbox cage, and decent sideplates I have down in Vic just a matter of getting them up here.
The CR engine is untested. Knocked the head off and its still on standard bore yet could use a rebore. Gearbox is also untested an knowing these old CRs its the biggest worry. Could be lucky it might be ok, it selects all gears fine but wont know how good it is until its under load.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 03:29:19 pm »
I sense a happy man!
Nice photo of a nice project and I'm sure we're all keen to see it restored - and you on it.
I can't believe you cut Demi Moore out of the photo...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Quicksilver

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 03:37:46 pm »
Photo correction for Wombat  ;)