Author Topic: DIY Zinc plating  (Read 2376 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
DIY Zinc plating
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:52 am »
Who does their own plating out there?
Been reading about those Jane kits you can buy, but I was sure there was something on here regarding plating...though I can't find it on a search?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Zinc plating
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:45:36 am »
I was just talking to a couple of people about it and I just sent an order to jane kits to buy one from what I have been told it is pretty time consuming but perfect if you only have a few bolts to do.

I have found it only costs like $30 for a heap of bolts done through the platers but having your own if you need a few parts done it saving you taking only a few things to the plater and you can do it whenever it suits you, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:23 am »
I have found it only costs like $30 for a heap of bolts done through the platers but having your own if you need a few parts done it saving you taking only a few things to the plater and you can do it whenever it suits you, thanks Michael.

Yes, I think it's the later part of this that appeals. Possibly better to control things yourself rather than risk losing small bits at the platers, and also the last lot I had done at the platers seemed very dull as well.
I was looking at doing some spokes rather than buy newies which would have helped offset the cost a little.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:02:37 pm »
The Jane plating kit is great. I've had one for a few years and never had any problems. Spokes come out really nicely. I've just got a bit of perspex bent at 90 degrees that has holes in it to screw the spokes into. Six at a time, doesn't take long to do a set.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »
ive never been able to get my jane kit to plate to a standard im happy with.
It always seems to come out slightly cloudy.

Every time i contact the guy he says its either contamination or inproper preparation, so i buy new chemicals and go crazy with the prep, yet same results.

So i dont use mine id rather just send em away and get the quality im after.