Author Topic: Black Seagulls that smell like chain lube  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Black Seagulls that smell like chain lube
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »
Just spare a thought to some of our BOP, Tauranga VMX friends and my mother who now has this mess as part of their ocean view.

We have cheap shipping but it has become cheap at the price of the operational budgets and training of the crews so not in the least shocked at the outcome.

formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Black Seagulls that smell like chain lube
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »
 :'(   >:(   I should really put this in "VMX Transport" thread, but can someone do a run out to that ship, blue box third from the top...
Will pay you double in what it cost in your boat fuel plus more $$$...
its got my non replica BSA Goldstar DBD34 Scrambler in it ...  :P   ;)  ;)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »
Not to mention 1 mates 69 Camaro and another mates Mach1 Mustang.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Mutch

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »
I think those containers washed up on the beach today and a couple of the brothers drove off in them.

TooFastTim

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »
That inlet, from the bay into the port is impressive. To watch the rip and the ships navigating that narrow channel makes you wonder how that captain managed to eff it up where he did.

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
As if our brother's across the ditch haven't had enough grief this year, makes me think that you guy's deserve to win the RWC to help raise the country's spirit's.
But I had to give myself an uppercut to snap out of it. ;)
Sorry bro.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »
They'ill have to do a new advertising for NZ now....instead of "pure NZ", it will be "Crude NZ".... ;D it shits me when things like this happens, the companies that have caused the problem always get off light....the governments talk tough but by the time it hits the courts it turns into a deflated balloon. ???.....poor old taxpayer cops another poke in the eye. There will be alot of money lost by punters too as most cargo isnt insured. The plipapino captain probably thought he was driving a "Jeepnee".
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:18:57 am »
They'ill have to do a new advertising for NZ now....instead of "pure NZ", it will be "Crude NZ".... ;D it shits me when things like this happens, the companies that have caused the problem always get off light....the governments talk tough but by the time it hits the courts it turns into a deflated balloon. ???.....poor old taxpayer cops another poke in the eye. There will be alot of money lost by punters too as most cargo isnt insured. The plipapino captain probably thought he was driving a "Jeepnee".

Joan your right , but its the same in all aspects of society these days  ::) mongrel kids run up 10s of thousands of dollars worth of traffic fines then the court just wipes them kid walks away scott free and the cycle starts again  >:(

Pricks who rip off pensioners then the court gets all tough and siezes their assetts , so they go to welfare get all the handouts house, benefits, etc etc so their better off than you or I  >:(

We live in a society that talks tough but never follows through  ::) theres to much conflict between getting justice but being seen to be humane good guys  ::)

My dislike of the raghead nations is well voiced  :D but i take my hat off to them when it comes to metering out punishments  ;) No forking PC shit there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:24:36 am by TM BILL »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:54:17 am »
There will be alot of money lost by punters too as most cargo isnt insured.

Actually even there ability to prosecute the Captain is subject to the vessel being within 12 nautical miles of the shore where the vessel comes under port state control otherwise technically he is under Monrovian law and a Monrovian citizen.

Persuit of the owners through the courts will require prosecution through the registration State in this case Monrovia or through the International Court of Justice which take decades. It is actually quite unusual for commercial cargo not to be insured as the vessel is a 'common carrier' so by shipping your car or bike  have hired the vessel and therefore contributed to its loss so under 'general average' technically you may have to pay out for damages as an individual, which is to a maximum 415 SDR /m3 .... roughly.

What this all means is the system is set up so the loss is spread over the maximum number of insurance companies and people due to the size and scope of the loss. The guys that will get paid are probably the vessel owners who will get far more of a pay out than the vessel is probably worth at the moment..... they belong to an insurance club that will pay out pretty immediately. But they still have some big bills coming.

So make sure you always take insurance. the wanker from Mediterranean Shipping who claimed they have no legal responsibility as the charterer  is a little misinformed.

formerly Marc.com

number 87

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:54 am »
Total Cluster-f@#K

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:37 am »
Always makes me wonder when there piled that high why dont they lose a lot more containers in the drink.  YOU would wanna hope your last port off,  so you get a slot on the bottom huh.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:52:01 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

TooFastTim

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
So make sure you always take insurance. the wanker from Mediterranean Shipping who claimed they have no legal responsibility as the charterer  is a little misinformed.

Maritime law is a little, err, different to what common sense would dictate. A few years ago a large container vessel parked itself on the beach of Cape Town (not too different to this scenario) and the owners of the cargo had to pay for that vessels salvage. I had a chat to an enduro rider friend who was in the business and he said it was quite normal in martime law.

eno

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 12:20:46 pm »
Hi all, it's a sign of the de-evolution of the human race. In this age of satellite navigation etc... it should never have happened. The better the technology the dumber we get....

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:30 pm »
Hey Freaky, they loose shitloads of containers all the time.....container...what container?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »
Maritime law is a little, err, different to what common sense would dictate. A few years ago a large container vessel parked itself on the beach of Cape Town (not too different to this scenario) and the owners of the cargo had to pay for that vessels salvage. I had a chat to an enduro rider friend who was in the business and he said it was quite normal in martime law.

Hi Tim, I think it was this ship who missed the approach to Cape Town, finally they had to build a temporary wharf out alongside the vessel to recover it. Maritime Law uses the principle that roughly by hiring the ship you contribute to the accident, but the main point is that a loss is such a huge expense no one under writing or insurance company can cover it.

Its all very old and archaic where the vessel owners join a pool to cover the ships and they are paid back if no claim is made, they also have private investors called faces..... Lloyds of London have a bell in the lobby called the Lutine Bell that is struck to advise 'faces' that underwrite vessels that one has been lost...... and this is where we get the expression "for whom the bell tolls"

formerly Marc.com