Author Topic: 2012 Classic MX Championships  (Read 135003 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Classic MX Championships
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »
Just find me the bike mike and im in !!!!! even if its a piece of shit i can only roll to the line,  but there glued to shed floors.... me finding out the hard way.... 
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2012, 04:38:08 pm »
Geezus Freaky, you've got more front than George Micheal....would you like me too book you into the Hilton to kip at and organise Jeremy Burgess to come back and be your pit bitch mechanic?....surely Leith would have something to ride?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2012, 05:05:11 pm »
Davey it would nearly be worth getting that Royal Enfield going just we could laugh at Freaky :D :D :D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »
Mate im just getting into the spirit, bikes on the track and all that in the feature class. 

I'll ride anything including your missus.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 17, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »
I'm With freaky,
I'd like to ride pre60 as well, but haven't been able to sort a bike of my own, in time .
 I am riding 7 classes and lending my bikes to others for age races,  entries are paid and I'll be there so another ride or demo in the spirit off things would be  a good thing
The bikes must be out there some where??

Noel
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:32:28 pm by Noel »

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »
on another note.
seeing as we are being allowed to camp in the pits,  will fires be allowed or only gas?

cheers
Noel

Curly3

« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »
Noel = Ironman.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:19 pm »
No open fires, only fire drums in set positions provided by the Park.
It can get cold at night (even in Qld ) so be prepared.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31:45 am »
Not sure about a bike and you'll have to check with the missus but I'm sure she's a post 60 model in any case.
Most blokes want to upgrade rather than retro fit them.

Offline cr4ever

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2012, 10:04:59 am »
Whos Robin Groom ? your Tiler or your Courier freaky  ;D

" Who's Robin Groom?" Here's a bit of Nats history ......
Steve and Mike Groom were top Husqvarna riders from SA who competed all over Australia throughout the 1970's. Mike won the Australian 500cc title at Tivoli in 1970, and was runner up in the 250cc title at Clarendon in 1971. Robin's Dad Steve was also a top rider, and still plays high level rugby here in SA in his 60's! Those were the days Dave Basham dominated here in SA, but the Grooms, Jim Dowsett, Chris Hall ( Pirie 593 on here) Lester Rowley and many others gave him a tough time on many occasions.
Robin rode Uncle Mike's original 250cc Husky at Crystal Brook last year at the Nats, and won the 30 to 39 age title. He and Steve Melvin ( Alison's son) won a heat each of the pre 75 250, and were dicing it out for the title in the 3rd heat when Robin threw a chain on the final lap. Steve and Mike were both there to see him ride Mike's bike, and it was great to see them both after 25 years - although I still struggled to tell them apart or understand their accents.
Robin comes from a great scrambles/MX background.... grandfather Frank Franklin was the legendary track announcer in SA in the 70's and 80's, grandmother Jean Franklin was in charge of lap scoring, Mum Pam and Aunty Linda ( Harris) are both long serving officials at the Levis MCC in SA, Uncle Phil Franklin was Australian unlimited sidecar MX champion in 1980, Uncle Tony Cook was a top A grader in the 70's....and as Freaky said sister Shannon runs Revolution timing supplying all the transponders here in SA these days. That's all I know but there's probably much more.
It was great to see a 2nd generation rider competing on the same family bike with such a great history.

Robin is a very nice guy so say G'day to him at the Nat's! I'm sure he's going to try and repeat Uncle Mike's feat and win a National Title in Qld, 42 years later. ( Go the Croweaters!!!)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2012, 02:02:07 pm »
No open fires, only fire drums in set positions provided by the Park.
It can get cold at night (even in Qld ) so be prepared.

will it rain and what is the daytime weather ? packing cold or boardshorts ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2012, 02:07:55 pm »
if arriving from the south, pack ya boardie's 'n' singlets. ;D
if arriving from the north, bring ya whole bloody wardrobe cause ya gonna need it :D
will it rain
the weatherman says there'll be a possible slight chance of... :)
see you's there :)
"flat bickie"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:40 pm »
Robin rode when he was a kid but went onto Triatholons, i believe he was at  or near olympic sellection.  Then coming off the curve and training has moved back to SA and decided ( talked into by shannon to enter mike old Husky) and ride again for fun results as per above.  I think i kept up with him for a half a lap at the SA scrambles, but then was never seen again..... well be me anyway.   I think he is sending 2 bikes up to Qld this time and is a fly in due to work and family commitments.  The guy has a lot of endurance and will litterally grind you into the ground lap after lap.  be some good racing this year i reckon as there a few more in the mix now.

Still really sad to see tony cavell is hanging up the boots  the pre 75 250cc  with all the big guns, brad, herbert boys, tony C, robin G and so on would have been an awesome race to watch.

here's an SA line out for you Robin #92, Troy Kellaway#35 and freaky#52.  We will see you all in Qld  :D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:21:33 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »
Visited the track complex today. Only took 30 mins from home and is about 50k so you could get accomodation in Ipswich and still travel easily, unlike the google maps which tells you its and hour.
The complex looks fantastic, much like Broadford and alot better than ACUSA IMO.
The circuit is marked on a reasonbale hillside and if you have extra HP best you bring it along in your kitbag as it will be needed-that and your best brakes(or biggest heart :D)
Vey nice lay-out, best I've seen in a while (very good supersenior and co.)
As for tyre choice (I knew you would ask) I have no idea(I'm a passenger and mine is always slick or ribbed :D :D :D)
We'll all have a great weekend for sure.

Offline lama

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2012, 01:22:24 pm »
yep went with eml yesterday some fast flowing sections and some tight sections has a bit of everything track should become quite loamy after a few races up hill and down dale like the old days YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED  :) :) :) :)