Author Topic: CLASSIC NATIONALS ON TV  (Read 9063 times)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
Re: CLASSIC NATIONALS ON TV
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:55 am »
Very ordinary telecast of the event sorry, track did look great, and well done to the Crystalbrook club..

I haven't seen the broadcast, but I would like to comment on this post.

The fact that MXTV had ANYONE at the Classic Titles was fantastic in my opinion. 

But you have to realise that the resources that they were able to bring to bear were somewhat limited, being Macca and a camera person.  So by definition, the coverage was always going to be quite limited in it's extent of coverage.

So why not just be extremely happy that our sport is getting some TV coverage rather than being so negative?

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:05:27 am »
I'm with you on that Ayjay-anything is better than what we've had.
Apart from some mags and VMX in particular, we are left out in the cold. I mentioned this after going to HBBC a couple of years back.
Congrats to MXTV for being there, but then again, so they should be really-it is MX after all and there are a few of us that do it.
We do need to find our audiance and cater to them though.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 11:38:26 am »
is there a you tube link  for those who haven,t got foxtell

Offline Nipper

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 12:23:48 pm »
Congratulations to MXTV on their coverage of the Nationals. Any publicity the sport gets is great.Well done Freaky a great job both on and off the camera,lets hope this is the start of something in the way of publicity for the sport and the VMX scene.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:26 pm »
Very ordinary telecast of the event sorry, track did look great, and well done to the Crystalbrook club..

I haven't seen the broadcast, but I would like to comment on this post.

The fact that MXTV had ANYONE at the Classic Titles was fantastic in my opinion. 

But you have to realise that the resources that they were able to bring to bear were somewhat limited, being Macca and a camera person.  So by definition, the coverage was always going to be quite limited in it's extent of coverage.

So why not just be extremely happy that our sport is getting some TV coverage rather than being so negative?

I just watched it then.

IF your didnt like the coverage as bob hawk would say 'your a bum'.  I thought the presentation, the interviews , the cut aways and the editing was bloody awesome.  Especially for 2 guys a little hand held camera and no idea what they were filming bike wise, to cobble together clases and cut aways, with voice over commently is just great watching and great for the classic sport to get in the spot light again..

My hat goes off to BRendan from MXTV for taking the chance and hoping to find sponsors to cover some of the costs, flying down, hiring and driving a car for 2-1/2 hours, overnight accomadations and all the production cost to cover some poxy classic event that isnt even in there shows demographic.  

MAte we couldnt even get some lasy interstate riders to even turn up, and there supposed to be racers. LAme excuses about costing to much, not enough track time blah blah and other events on a few weeks later. >:(

MAte i have nothing but praise for the coverage and the effort these guys went to to get it on air.
ok except maybe for the part they misspelt my name. :-[
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 12:34:40 pm »
Watched it last night. Saw a few Heaven riders in the crowd. The track looked excellent. Well done to the organizers for putting on such a great event and on what looked to be a true classic track. Wish I was there. Noticed my favorite class Evo 250 was left on the editors floor though.

Kenneth KJ Swan
Go For It

thats cause without you kenneth it wasnt a real race.

see you next year !
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 12:38:00 pm »
Well done MXTV on the coverage of the Chrystal Brook Nats.

Having worked in the industry for over 20 years, I know the amount of work that would have gone into cutting all the single camera footage (and some helmet cam) into a program that showed a good cross section of the track and riders.

It must be remembered that it all also had to fit in to a 30 minute program.

The commetary from Belly and Macca also was informative to the non-VMX viewer while not boring those that are involved in VMX.

All round a great job with limited resources.

Negative comments on any coverage of a niche sport would only ask producers why they would bother in future.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 12:42:06 pm »
Would love to see it, its not easy being a pesant so please let us know how else to veiw :'( cheers

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »
I agree with everyone that the coverage was fantastic, especially considering the limited resources of the MXTV crew. Macca's enthusiasm and love of his subject matter is contagious and he and Belly did a good job keeping the commentary informative yet easy to understand for vintage newbies. It's impossible to squeeze everything into a half hour package so I think they got the cross section pretty right with pre 70-250, pre 75-250, Evo-125 and pre 85-500 and while I'd have liked shorter interviews and more racing, they did an admirable job squeezing in what they did.
Next time you see Macca at a race pat him on the back and thank him and the MXTV crew for producing a great showcase for our sport.

I wonder if there are any plans to release an edited DVD of the whole event?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:14 pm »
I just watched it again then, and your right Firko.  what i get out of the coverage is it was simple.  Simple in that your average bloke can get an immediate grasp of what was going on, the broad spectrum of classes and the fact that they not only talked about the bikes but how you can get into the sport, low budget builds, old guys just loving to ride.  Anyone who listens and watches the vision properly will see they have ticked all the boxes.

On face value it comes across perfectly as oldb ikes that are easly to make, fun and old guys, young guys, girls  and families havings fun, and even there slow rider vision, would make those how good am i, think gees i can ride bettert than that and they might get off there arse and go racing as well.  bUt also has enough coverage for the vmx guys to get some kinda fix too.  there is somthing for everyone. REMEMBER this was never going to be a VMX video tape, so leave that at the door.

Also did you notice in all the cut aways,  they did lots of diverse crowd vision with old bill watson, col,  the girls -sarah white and knee, young kids and families on the spectator mounds and in the pits. Its a great peice of work with wider appeal, i cant say enough good things about it.  watch it a few more time popeye and look and listen closers as i think you may have missed the message.

Its just a shame its not on free to air yet, that was; nah would be, the biggest injection into the sport you could hope for.

Im bloody excited.  think im going to go watch it again .....

its 2 gig on a disk so bit big to POSt or upload. but ill see if i cant find a way of puytting it in the cloud somewhere.

Also did you notice lots of familiar faces in the crowds
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:14:06 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:09 pm »
is there a you tube link  for those who haven,t got foxtell
"'Trying to get it up for you now on the MXTV youtube page, hang in there."
Brendan Bell
mxtv

http://www.youtube.com/mxtvshow#p/search
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:51:36 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:25 pm »
i recorded it on my hard drive as a non mx rider i found it very good.
freaky the new vmx rock star not only did he do a great job on the event he also did a great interview
will try and turn it into a dvd and send it to you kerry
i wont send them to anyone else if kerry wants to he can make copies any moneys can go to the club
jim
sydney dirt track rider

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 10:30:19 pm »
Im in for a disc name your price Freaky . iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 12:09:17 am »
NAh not an issue JIm, get them out there, share the love. 

MXTV are posting a original disk from brendan , i can copy as many as you like no probs.  You get a cameo in the pre 70 250 race Iain , so you have at least 15 sec of fame....

my copy is of the Fox channel with no addsis ok, but i think there is a few sec missing off the start, fine to copy, but ill wait for the real deal before i hand anycopies  out.

The phone rang on the way home tonight and it was from a guy in adelaide who saw the show on MXTV and wants to know how he can ride on the track , he is a novice and never realised the event was on.....  so a bit late, but as we are saying its exposed the event, club , track what ever to a wider audience, which really was th whole point right.  when i took the guys call on the mobile you could have knocked me over with a feather,,,

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:16:06 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 08:42:38 am »
Watched it last night. Saw a few Heaven riders in the crowd. The track looked excellent. Well done to the organizers for putting on such a great event and on what looked to be a true classic track. Wish I was there. Noticed my favorite class Evo 250 was left on the editors floor though.

Kenneth KJ Swan
Go For It

thats cause without you kenneth it wasnt a real race.

see you next year !

Thanks Freakshow! Have we rubbed shoulders or banged bars before?
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)