Author Topic: Boyesen reeds.  (Read 18991 times)

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Boyesen reeds.
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:24 pm »
Well not alot of talking going on here so, I got some new boyesen reeds and the instuctions say to remove the factory reed stoppers and use the rev plate supplied. The old boyesen reeds in the bike (farked) had the factory stopper. Should I or shouldn't I??

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Boyesen reeds.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:38:20 pm »
They last longer with the stoppers than without them. What bike are they going in?
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 04:39:53 pm »
84 RMtwofitty

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:30:50 pm »
LEave em in, they wont fray and fall in the pot.    Stoppers wont hold you up my freind you still be pack :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:16:40 pm »
With or without stoppers they can still fracture and get digested.Some people would cut back the standard stoppers to allow more movement and claimed an improvment in performance.I would leave the standard stoppers in place as is and replace the reeds about every 5 hours of race use or when they pass their gap limit.

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:55:47 pm »
I used to run Boyesen reeds in my RM 250's (86 - 90). Always removed the factory stoppers and used the Boyesen rev plates. Never had a problem. Go for it.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:42:37 am »
Best place for B******ens is in the past or in the bin.Under any sort of load the top thin petal flaps around uncontrolably while the bottom petal barely moves.Reed technology has surpassed whatever advantages these crappers ever had a long time ago. Standard with the stops in bent in for high rpm and about 10mm for low/mid rpm will see the same results.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:28:32 pm »
Best place for B******ens is in the past or in the bin.Under any sort of load the top thin petal flaps around uncontrolably while the bottom petal barely moves.Reed technology has surpassed whatever advantages these crappers ever had a long time ago. Standard with the stops in bent in for high rpm and about 10mm for low/mid rpm will see the same results.

Come on Lozza, tell us what really think. Don't be shy. ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 07:25:08 pm »
You want the truth? :'(

You can't handle the truth  ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:47:03 pm »
Actually, I've heard the no-holds-barred Lozza rave about Boyensens, and I suspect that it would make most sailors would blush.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 11:48:12 pm »
That it would ;D,actually their 'Pro' series reeds are pretty good (or on par with everyone elses carbon fibre reeds),their 'Rad' valve can be cheaply replicated at home and is not as good as a V-Force assembly.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 11:54:57 pm »
still reacon there is nothing wrong with the steal ones, just get em in tight to the barrell and keep em rough
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 12:02:50 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Best laugh I had all day Freaky

;D ;D ;D

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »
Have been watching this with interest and still confused .... sheez guys
Can the Institute recomend where to buy these wizz bang replacements  :)
I'm sure this was discussed in the last forum and a member has some new bute material  :-X

mx250

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 06:57:44 pm »
Have been watching this with interest and still confused .... sheez guys
Can the Institute recomend where to buy these wizz bang replacements  :)
I'm sure this was discussed in the last forum and a member has some new bute material  :-X

It all about sucking in as much air/fuel, compressing it and making it go bang. The more air/fuel the bigger the bang.

With a two stroke there are three main barriers to sucking it in; the reeds, the transfers and the crankcase pressure.

To get the reeds to pass more air/fuel you can get bigger reed blocks, get the reeds to flex open more, or you can get more tip surface area so that more air/fuel get passed sooner.

Sometimes you can put bigger reed blocks into the same opening (RZ250 replacing RD250) and you can mechine weld etc etc.

Flexing more is an option (bend or remove reed stops) but normally leads to early failure.

Changing the characteristic of the reeds, Boyesens etc, to weaker/stronger normally has more effect on where in the rev range the power is produced rather than giving noticeably more power.

The multiple reed approach, Vforce reeds blocks and other, gives increase tip surface area which gives both a better responce and passes more air/fuel (= more power better spread of power).