Author Topic: Red Marley in OZ?  (Read 2267 times)

Curly3

Red Marley in OZ?
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:18 pm »
What do you guy's think?
Could it be possible to run an event similar to Red Marley, here in OZ?
I have access to a property, not far out of SYD that may or may not be suitable.
I see it as a "Classic" event only.
I'm amazed it aint happening already, if the land of Pom can do it, surely we can.
Steve

Even Sliders could enter, you're in Wally.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:09:28 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Red Marley in OZ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »
good idea slidey,amaroo's hill climb was fun,(even if it was tar), a bbq social event to test the waters??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:36:26 am »
     Heard there is a dirt hillclimb run up grafton way each year ? i reckon the widowmaker type event's would draw mega crowds   :o although the wowsers and greenies that seem to dictate this country would have a flipout  >:(

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:07:09 am »
There used to be dirt drags that went up a step hill near grafton.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:22:43 am »
In the '70s St George club held a tar hillclimb at Silverdale , I think , Alan Hill and Peter Daly, who were both either B or A grade Short Circuit riders at the time , competed in it on their Hagon JAPs complete with the ubiquitous Dunlop K70s and turned some respectable times, however the Starter complained about being deafened  by the exhaust noise of the JAPS and being nearly asphixiated by the exhaust fumes , now the lads wouldn't have been running Nitro would they ??
I remember Don Campbell from the Pacific club running his Hagon JAP at the Castlereagh Drags, Barum tyre and all and being quite proud of his time slip.
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
i reckon the widowmaker type event's would draw mega crowds   
The only problem with running a Widowmaker style hillclimb for classics is the high degree of bike and rider damage that often occurs. The more bike friendly Red Marley style climb is way more suited to old bikes and old bodies. Annandale-Leichardt ran a couple of Red Marley style climbs at Wandandian way back in the early '70's and they were a hoot, despite me winning my class at the first one, I ended up in hospital as the result of a loop out at the second one ::).

I've always wanted to ride Red Marley after seeing it on the telly a few years ago. It's basically an uphill drag race with a high speed jump half way up the hill. All kinds of bikes can be used from dirt track sliders right through the motocross spectrum to even include road bikes. I reckon this would be nearly as much fun as jelly wrestling Pammy Anderson and an ideal event to bring dirt track, motocross and road racers together to compete on neutral territory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtVBMRO7Dlw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5BpWZqei-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqXjbNVH7Sg
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:56:47 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »
Back in the early 80's the Lovett brothers ran a hill climb outside of Cessnock.

It wasn't a Red Marley style event, the course wandered up the hill. The course could have been easily completed by any average rider. It was a great event because you could ride any bike you wanted, it was short enough that fitness wasn't a determining factor. It was non threatening as the riders were spread out on the course so you didn't have to worry about being taken out by some gungho hotshot trying to make a name for himself.

The pros had alternative lines where you could charge the whoops or take the longer smoother route.

It took no more land than an average motocross and did almost no damage to the surface.

It was a really great day and I have often wondered why it hasn't been done again. As Firko said, it could be a great event to draw out competitors who find a one-on-one [charge to the first corner] race too confronting. We have even had the same problem at Classic Dirt where faster [younger] riders don't give others enough room. Most of us don't bounce like we used to.

The riders loved it, the specators could see the entire track and it was easy for the club to run. With modern communications and timing it would be pretty simple.

From a VMX bike perspective - it would also be a great event as the pits were at the bottom of the hill, so when your old weapon fails you can simply coast back to your car - no pushing uphill.

That is the type of event that could get me and a lot of others out on the track.  :)

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:12:58 pm »
That is the type of event that could get me and a lot of others out on the track.
Me too Jeff. Old age, permanent injury and atrocious fitness have long put an end to my motocross days but I'd be back on board all of my bikes for an event like this in a heartbeat.The interesting thing about Red Marley is that recent winners such as Arthur Browning and Cyril Jones are over 70 in age..and Cyril did it on a Hagon slider! Bring it on ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »
   I wasnt talking about a widowmaker event as being for vintage bike's ,mainly along the line's of all classes -from purpose built hillclimbers to MXers of any persuasion as in "on any sunday " crowds would love it ! but dont think it would ever happen in this day and age ! I also like the Red Marley event which ive been following threw "classic dirtbike" magazine for a few years now - great Event ! but as ol' mate in the latest VMX found out it would also have it's peril's ! the cessnock event sounds like a happy medium and a lot of fun for all era's and age's  :)!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:33 pm »
…but as ol' mate in the latest VMX found out it would also have it's peril's ! the cessnock event sounds like a happy medium and a lot of fun for all era's and age's  :)!

That is why I like the old Cessnock approach. Red Marley still has the man against man approach that would turn off a lot of punters and it requires a degree of 'balls' to hold it open through the cut-out jump.

The Cessnock event is much simplier - man against the course and the stop watch. And as I said, you don't have to worry about being caught up in somebody elses mistake [or red mist]. And it also is a more complete test of the rider and machine as you have to negotiate a more complex course than just holding it wide open up a hill [not that there is anything wrong with that].

It would be kind to old bodies, old bikes and still be a challenge. And a heap of fun.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff