Author Topic: RM100T engine rebuild  (Read 4290 times)

tomdelta

RM100T engine rebuild
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »
I've got an 1980 RM100T that i want to get the motor rebuilt.Does anyone know where in Melbourne that does the old air cooled motors.Cheers.

geoff22

Re: RM100T engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57:42 am »
Powerhouse motorcycles in pakenham do great work and are into vmx. Anthony and his crew are really good blokes and go out of there way to help you .

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:28:03 am »
yes Powerhouse is a good recommendation, they are into VMX bikes and race them. great blokes too.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

tomdelta

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 01:11:20 am »
Thanks for the reply,i'll give them a go :).

tomdelta

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:36 am »
This is annoying,i've tried about 4 different bike shops,including Powerhouse and they all wont touch it because its too old?
Whats the good of having VMX racing and all these classic mxers when you cant get the motor rebuilt. >:(
The bike is finnished with new plastics,new rims,heaps of new factory parts,just need the motor done,should have checked first
about the motor.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:23:51 pm »
HI if you dont mind posting the engine i can do a full rebuild but there is also another problem as i had a good off at the CB NATS and did some ribs and stuff, so would need a little longer tha useual, so pm me if ya want, cheers

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:58 pm »
Tom, what sort of rebuild are you talking here? checking out limits and build up using basically all the original engine components or replacing all bearings,seals, big end, rebore etc regardless of condition?
Naturally you will want new seals and gaskets as a minimum, but if the gearbox is serviceable, the crank bearings feel tight and the piston clearance is within limits I could step you through doing the job yourself. I have built a few of these motors now and there are a few albeit significant pitfalls when assembling the kick starter mechanism and a few points of note when examining the engine cases for damage. Apart from that, you will only need a few basic handtools and a copy of the workshop manual to get the job done. No bother if you need to sub out stuff like bigend replacement and a rebore if required, most bike shops can offer this service even if they dont want to take on a full rebuild.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »
Try JK Motorcycles - 03 5264 1641
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
I'm just finishing the shed in my backyard, when it's done I will specialize in VMX rebuilding.  I have worked in the motorcycle repair industry since '73, finding & matching obscure parts at a realistic price is my specialty.  Will post when I'm up and running.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »
I've got an 1980 RM100T that i want to get the motor rebuilt.Does anyone know where in Melbourne that does the old air cooled motors.Cheers.
  my mate has another rm 100 bitza he wants to sell he wants frame tank wheels engine bottom end if you are interested in the thing ill ask him how much ,the tank is really good but the rest is average

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 03:37:51 pm »
I'm just finishing the shed in my backyard, when it's done I will specialize in VMX rebuilding.  I have worked in the motorcycle repair industry since '73, finding & matching obscure parts at a realistic price is my specialty.  Will post when I'm up and running.

where are you located John?
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »

where are you located John?

Wallan
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

tomdelta

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 01:28:34 am »
Thanks for replying ,what i wanted was someone to look over the motor and replace any bearings etc it might need,rebore the cylinder which is abit rough.I bought the bike as a restorer with the motor out of the frame,so i dont know how it ran or the history of the motor,its not seized and is complete except he didn't have the piston for it.I have split the cases to see what the gears look like and all seems good.

mainline

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:09:01 pm »
If you've managed to split the cases ok, then you've done half the job. Find out who does barrel machining work local to you and have them look at doing a rebore/hone. Some of them will want a piston to match to. they'll probably be able to look at the crank for you as well. If you do the legwork on getting the parts together you can save yourself some dollars. Most of the bikeshops are probably sending parts to the same machinist anyway. I'm sure someone on here can refer you to a local guy?

Then go and source the bearings and seals yourself. Most, if not all of them you can get fairly cheaply from the local bearing shop. You might as well do it while the motor is apart.

There's plenty of info and help on here to step you through putting it all back together.

tomdelta

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:21 pm »
Thanks mainline,thats what i'll do,get someone to do the cylinder and i'll chase up the parts,theres heaps of piston/rings and seals and gaskets on the net.Thanks to everyone for your help,much appreciated.