Author Topic: KTM to run 2 Strokes in World Championship final round  (Read 2796 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
KTM to run 2 Strokes in World Championship final round
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:13:21 pm »
Having clinched their world championships, Ken Roczen and Tony Cairoli will be racing two-strokes at the Grand Prix series finale in Fermo, Italy. In his farewell to the GP tour, Roczen will ride a KTM SX 125, I think, though it may be a 144 or even a 150 that he could pull from KTM's two-stroke arsenal. As for Cairoli, he will be armed with a KTM 250 SX. How will they do? My gut feeling is very well. My personal opinion is that a factory-level 250 two-stroke, in the hands of a capable rider like Tony Cairoli, is still competitive again 450s on the right track—let alone against 250 four-strokes. And according to DV12, Fermo might just be that track.

Man I hope they win…  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: KTM to run 2 Strokes in World Championship final round
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:22:05 pm »
Surely their decibel level will be too low to be allowed on the grid if they leave the mufflers on :D

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »
Unfortunately Ciaroli isn't riding due to his mother passing away on friday.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:56:56 am »
They should be running the 300, it has won before and is the largest selling KTM in the USA including the road bikes. BTW they were still trying to sell some 2008 road models when I was in the US last.
formerly Marc.com

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:56 am »
They should be running the 300,

You can't race bigger than 250cc 2 strokes in MX1 ,MX3 you can.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:45 am »
Having clinched their world championships, Ken Roczen and Tony Cairoli will be racing two-strokes at the Grand Prix series finale in Fermo, Italy. In his farewell to the GP tour, Roczen will ride a KTM SX 125, I think, though it may be a 144 or even a 150 that he could pull from KTM's two-stroke arsenal. As for Cairoli, he will be armed with a KTM 250 SX. How will they do? My gut feeling is very well. My personal opinion is that a factory-level 250 two-stroke, in the hands of a capable rider like Tony Cairoli, is still competitive again 450s on the right track—let alone against 250 four-strokes. And according to DV12, Fermo might just be that track.

Man I hope they win…  ;D

144 = 150 - same, same. KTM and Husky marketing have decided that calling them a 150 is better/easier marketing.

The "right track" has perfect traction, and not too many stop-and-go corners leading into big jumps. If Fermo is like that, then they will do well - in reality, I'm expecting the usual excuses about "A good showing on an unfamiliar bike"...

But good on them! I'm very interested to see how it goes.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:20 am »
Roczen finished 5th in the first MX2 moto, 58 seconds behind the leader. He DNFed the second moto with crash damage.

The circuit was reported to be hard packed, which wouldn't be ideal for the 2 stroke, but an interesting result anyway and good on KTM for trying something different.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:19:45 am »
The circuit was reported to be hard packed, which wouldn't be ideal for the 2 stroke, but an interesting result anyway and good on KTM for trying something different.

Breath of fresh air I call it, all the of the KTM 2 strokes still sell quite well which is why they stuck with them. 300 sells the most of any KTM model..... but 150 is also a good seller being a hell of a lot cheaper to run than 4 stroke.
formerly Marc.com

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Simo63

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 03:37:06 pm »
How about a NZ designed 2 smoke.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/lifestyle/motoring/5599406/NZ-designed-motorcycles-coming-soon

Interesting article, thanks.  I just hope the Denver Lawson is better at designing the bike and motor than he is at choosing his tyres ;D 

Sorry couldn't help that as the article says the MT80 is "an entry level motorcross bike" ... clearly going to need some tyres with grip first  ;D

mx250

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »
Bring back the 3 stroke I say
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:37 pm »
How about a NZ designed 2 smoke.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/lifestyle/motoring/5599406/NZ-designed-motorcycles-coming-soon

They will be a great bike the engine design was over seen by ex-GP engineer Wayne Wobbly Wright.
Jesus only loves two strokes