Author Topic: Free test day @ Broadford new track last Sunday  (Read 5631 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Free test day @ Broadford new track last Sunday
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:31:26 am »
Hey Guy's,

You are the only riders that are invited to ride the new 'natural terrain' track at Broadford this Sunday.  I have gained approval for this day under the 'working bee then ride' rule, so we will walk the track first with shovels & mattock for a final clean-up, then we can bust laps in the arvo.

The weather, in the lead-up, and on the day is looking perfect!  There will be an Interclub roadrace on on Sunday so the canteen will be open.

I think if we get there about 9.30am we should be right to ride soon after 12 noon.  My vintage bike isn't finished yet so I'll have to ride my modern, so it's cool if you bring your modern but it would be good to get some 4" feedback lol.  :-)

I hope a few of you guys can make it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:43:13 am by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Free test day @ Broadford new track this Sunday
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:35:39 am »
That sounds brilliant....if all my spare time wasnt used up getting my bike finished i would come out to lend a hand and observe some old classics running round the track.  Best i keep on track with finishing bike and wait to see some pics instead.

If someone could please take a few pics of the day that would be great

Cheers

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:54:52 am »
Hey John,

Sounds great ! If the weather is fine then it will be a hoot. Keep us posted later in the week as it is pissin down here in Melb right now.  I might bring a fellow Mitchell Rec member with me to help out.  steve

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:57:35 am »
Great Steve  :-)

I'll be working out there on Wed, Thurs & Fri so I'll be monitoring it :-)  May even try and slip in a jump during the week.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:00:23 am »
Maybe we can take pics of some nice bikes out there for VMX magazine?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:26 am »
Good effort John...it'd be great if something like what you've done could be achieved at Eastern Creek.

Being from Sydney I haven't followed this all that closely so my silly question is...Is this the old 'Channel 10' track that's on the hill between the main circuit and that silly suoercross " circuit"? If so I remember a horrid dust problem that was difficult to adequately solve. Dust issues aside, you've done a great job in creating another great venue for Victorian vintage racers....
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:36:30 am »
No this track is the other side of the current main MX track to the Channel 0 (before Channel 10 ;-) ) track.  Some riders may remember a Vinduro & natural terrain mx that has been run in the area.

After I saw that the area was being used quite randomly, and without any concern for the future, I approached the Manager of the complex to see if I could make something, he said "go for it".

Dust will be a problem in Summer, and mud will be a problem in Winter, I have some idea's to combat the issues, hopefully the mx tracks I have built over my 38 years of racing will help.  Some work will take money, like paying for earth-moving equipment, and importing mulch & top-soil, so it may take a little time to make it all perfect but I'll get there.

We may limit the track to 2 race meetings a year, and practise every second month in rotation with the current mx track; in an effort to help with regeneration.  Johnny Coleman (the longtime caretaker) & I feel that we can have grass regrown on the track within 3 weeks; it just takes water to make it happen.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:52:12 am by John Orchard »

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:09:11 am »
Great work John!

Both of my bikes are out of action at the moment so I can't get there.

Please Continue to keep us posted here on developments and help required. I will get there in the next couple of months to help and ride (if possible).

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »
Good stuff John,
                       what is the arrangement for this Sunday regarding riding at the track, ie: Licence / membership etc. What is required ? also are you allowing any kids up there to ride as well. Regards Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »
Anyone riding will require a racing or recreation MA licence.  All riders will have to sign an indemnity form.  If any under 16's come they would have to have there own 'on track' session.  We're not allowed to let adults ride with juniors.  I think the free riding is aimed at adult riders who come out to work; not sure if kids would be seen as very productive?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:35:32 pm by John Orchard »

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 06:10:18 pm »
Hi John great work getting this to happen see you there around 9.30 with shovel and bike.
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »
Awesome Steve, it will be great to see you.  With light showers forecast from here to the weekend, I expect traction without mud or dust, woo hoo !

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:12:33 am »
Hey John, any chance that John C could dump a couple of bucket loads of dirt on that erosion in the gully?  He might be able to get in from the car park side?  We could then fix it up on sunday.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 03:45:00 pm »
Hey John, any chance that John C could dump a couple of bucket loads of dirt on that erosion in the gully?  He might be able to get in from the car park side?  We could then fix it up on sunday.

I'll see what they can do; I'm hoping they disc some of it and push out a couple of stumps, I think Marty has them flat-out on other tracks this week; I'll keep on it  :-)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 03:51:15 pm »
Wow, light rain all day today at Broadford, and a brief shower or two predicted over the weekend, absolutely perfect weather for dirt bikes; no mud or dust...... bring it on!