Author Topic: wanted yamaha yz or mx 250  (Read 17139 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: wanted yamaha yz or mx 250
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 01:16:06 pm »
if i could find enough second hand PVL for my bottom ends , i wouldnt even be trying to answer this one.

So any way back to the start of this thread, we can assume that the Bike in question although it has 364-xx cases must have been rebuilt with Dt250 parts and accesories at some time of the other into its current liverly.

id still swap ya stock parts and coin for the forks and pipe Billy .  :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:38 pm »
Hi Freakshow.  I appreciate the offer,  but it stays in 1 piece for now.
Do we know anyone in Aus that has installed a Novation swingarm?

as you can see,  this one has a circle-F also.

mx250

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 08:01:17 pm »
Whats the swing arm Bill? Looks late model in profile - despite shock mounts.

firko

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 08:20:54 pm »
My interpritation of the pre '75  rules would make a Novation swingarm illegal as it's not a replica of anything available back in the day. If I was working on eligibility at a meeting and someone showed up with one of these swingarms I'd ask them for written and photographic proof that this swingarm design existed prior to 1975 which I'm pretty certain would not be forthcoming. It's a joke to think that such a modern looking item would be pre '75 legal.

When you are buying your trick bits from the USA please realise that their rulebook is different to ours in allowing stuff like the Novation swingarm. Another item I think is many of the billet triple clamps available today. If they are exact replicas of what was available in the pre '75 era like the billet replicas of the cast Pro Circuit triple clamps that were available for Huskys, no problem. Once again, no proof of their existence prior to '75, no can use!

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 08:23:50 pm »
Hi there

The swing arm as I know it is a pivoted lower extension of the main frame.  Designed in unison with some spongey thing, to save the riders ass.  Been around for some time I think??

http://www.novationracing.com/  

Oh yes,  and if you go to the link,  you will see they do for some other of our friends.  I had seen a quote last year and it weren't cheap.  But cionsidering the $USD,  then if you want one of these babies,  then now is the time to order.  I have done some searches,  they are rare and don't come up S/H.
Looks pretty sexy don't it??  The website don't advertise MX stock, so maybe its  a special 1 off,  or someones magnificent matchup.
Let me know if you need the hi res photos and I will send off to you.
KR
Have a safe and enjoyable long Easter weekend.

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:17 pm »
Thanks Firko.  Thanks. I get a bit carried away when I see bling.  Question?  So how would it go if you turned up at NAT's with a Circle-F?

firko

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 08:32:35 pm »
No worries, I've got a Circle F pipe myself. The swingarm is indeed a part of the frame and has been around for a while but not in the Novation form. Aftermarket swingarms are cool, I have a Boyd and Stellings alloy unit on my Maico but it was available in 1969. I haven't seen anything like a Novation arm in any of my old magazines.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »
My interpritation of the pre '75  rules would make a Novation swingarm illegal as it's not a replica of anything available back in the day. ... It's a joke to think that such a modern looking item would be pre '75 legal.

Wow - I'm agreeing with Firko!?
That swing arm is definitely 'trick', and I have no doubt its a good thing, but I also think it looks like shit and has no place on a pre-75 VMX bike.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 10:32:56 pm »
BTW, great looking bike Bill. Is there a noticeable difference in weight? Can you pick a difference in the ride?

firko

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 10:42:24 pm »
Graeme, I've seen this bike somewhere before and I think the BenchRacer magazine logo on the tank gives its nationality away as American. That chain looks a tad tight!

mx250

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:52 am »
Graeme, I've seen this bike somewhere before and I think the BenchRacer magazine logo on the tank gives its nationality away as American. That chain looks a tad tight!
Doh! I noted the same things you had Firko but didn't read Bill's post as closely  ::). I thought it was his bike.

For some time I've been thinking of making a few mods to the MX especially concentrating on reducing unsprung weight, especially on the rear. I reckon I could save about 2kg on the wheel alone.

Without having anything to compare it to, the swingarm feels particularly heavy. I think Yamaha used cheap mild steel made from melted down WW2 battleships and doubled the thickness to get the strength  :D (ditto the chassis).  For sometime I've been looking for an alloy swingarm which might be adapted with a bit of cut and shut. Even without consideration of eligibility I have rejected most on profile/looks (and length).

This is about number 30 in a long list of ideas/projects (which grows longer with a home reno and two investment properties  ::)) but I would love to see and feel the difference it could make to rear wheel compliance, suspension quality, the famous Yamahop and the general handling etc.

It will probably end up a chromoly swinger off a Husky or similar but then I might trip over an unattended orphan Boyd or Ossa alloy swinger in the pits at CD5  ;D

One day  ::) :D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:06 pm »
nope,  i hate to say it but i agree with the Ney sayers.

if you fitted that style of thing you may as well go buy a modern the whole concept is wrong on so many levels
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 08:24:27 am »
you can change ignition to computerized laptop programable(never saw laptops in the pits pre75) change internals in front forks and rear shocks,change reed valves for carbon fiber(were was that stuff in 1974)as long as this stuff is the same shape.billet alloy this and billet alloy that all machined on computer controlled machines.expansion chambers computer cut and designed.all the above is allowed.after all it is just a swing arm if there was alloy swing are pre1975 this should be allowed
if it still gives 4 inch rear wheel travel what is the problem.
freakshow
you want to ride USA flat track bikes in pre 1975 dirttrack were these in Australia racing in 1974.
you need all the bikes you can get riding at as many events as possable or the sport will die
just my 2 cents woth

mx250

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2008, 09:33:56 am »
You ask the BIG questions don't you Jim? ;D

I agree with you, and Dick Mann (I think), "If he's got an old bike in the ute, the $10 in the pocket and a good attitude, he gets to ride".

However, there is a difference between what you listed and the Novavation swingarm. Somethings are period, something are inside and outa sight, and something change the appearance of the bike. And that is the line of demarkation at the moment.

The current interpretation is primarily aimmed at keeping the outward appearance. Personally I like that as an aim and, for myself, I would also err  on the side of 'close to original' for the rest of the bike as well including performance. Others take the 'bling' and performance at any cost route.

There is a 'line in the sand' when applying this aim but that line can be blurry at times; e.g. the shape of the replacement chamber.

To recognise that both the pedantic factory fresh NOS resto and  the 'bling' and performance at any cost resto, and everything in between, is all part of our movement. I think all should be welcomed equally at any VMX event including racing.

So no argument from me Jim. But I know the rule, agreed with the reason for the rule, prefer the rule and I go along with the rule, but I would hope it is no 'Big Thing' for the movement, one way or the other.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 09:22:26 pm »
Jimbo these bike were around, and yes all that matters is the rule states as in any class if it was raced in the "world" pre 75 its also deemed OK, based on the fact we had dirt track for a long time anything with the year cut off is cosha, included MX bikes which are hardly Dirt track just because you change the rear tyre, or other wise it should have been called speedway, so i think your just off target there.

But i do agree on the other stuff, as far as im concerned all that programable stuff is Outlaw,  moreso from the outside the bike should look as it did when it was racing in its period, uder the current rules you could put a 2008 motor inside 74 cases, but thats not really in the spirit of it i think, and after all its about the bikes, capturing a period for what it was, not for what it could have been, you want to race a bike like that,  simple just ride a modern, if you wanna build a custom for your own enjoyment and building skills go for it, but you wanna race it against others in the spirit of a time capsule, go easy on the mods and the 2000 technology, i cant see the point of transplating/creating a new bike onto a classic frame and to think its going to be a reflection of the period or in the spirit of classic racing. 

There are boundries, some cross them for there own reason, others learn its not all about winning a plastic trophy its about enjoying.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:12:16 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's