Author Topic: pe 400  (Read 821 times)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile

Simo63

Re: pe 400
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:19:20 pm »
Looks good value to me

In the close up motor shot, is that a spacer under the cylinder ???  If so I wonder what that is about?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:53:21 pm »
Its a bit hard to tell from the photo for me but to use RM465 pistons you need a spacer under the barrel so it might be that, or it may just be extra plate welded around the base mounts for strength. Not sure it would be needed for a std motor but i have seen really hot 2 strokes on methanol where they weld extra bracing around the bottom of the barrel mounts for strength.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Simo63

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »
Its a bit hard to tell from the photo for me but to use RM465 pistons you need a spacer under the barrel so it might be that, or it may just be extra plate welded around the base mounts for strength. Not sure it would be needed for a std motor but i have seen really hot 2 strokes on methanol where they weld extra bracing around the bottom of the barrel mounts for strength.

Thanks for that response.  So if I put 2 + 2 together, the ad says the motors been rebuilt but needs carby rebuild and jetting which I find strange.  But if the seller has used the 465 piston with a spacer plate AND that spacer plate is poorly made/leaking air then that would make the bike run like a doggie?  Might be way off the track but sounds plausible?