Author Topic: whom to be carefull in the usa  (Read 4914 times)

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
whom to be carefull in the usa
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:59:42 am »
thought i would throw this one up ,i have had a lot of dealings with us sellers and no great problems.bikes /parts i have bought off the following leave a lot to be desired.might save some grief
 marty tripes 4 bikes only 2 where as descibed,rich pavlick bought 4,2  as described the other 2 supposed runners where both well seized,rod wilcox advertises on marks bought 1 bike was as described but not the price-my buyer drove 500MILES to get 3 bikes for me,3 for him and brad vanbarrelo a couple agreed on prices for bulk buy,screws my mate around ie come back tomorrow i havnt got time now this is after a 500 mile trip.the other bikes wernt as desrcibed ie pic of 500 auto husky yes it is complete ,but when ol mate looks at it sidecover off and parts missing-the side you couldnt see in pic.mark palermero-advertises on marks ordered some parts,get here not all there-a husky airbox cage missing,cover missing,no joy from him did the same to amate in the usa, bike bone yard did same thing reply was thats all we had, again an incomplete airbox and yes i did state i wanted a complete airbox includig cage ,cover etc no joy from them either.i recently sold a husky to a bloke in sydney,hand bottom end,and gearbox got the bike and was stuck in gear,at my cost have transported back to brisbane will repair it,so will cost me money but he will be happy cause i have done the right thing.hope above will save some heartache

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: whom to be carefull in the usa
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:55 am »
mark palermero   cock head

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:12:58 am »
some interesting info.  It is so hard to part with big dollars in the belief you are getting what is advertised, and then find it is nothing like they said, hard to get your money back from someone so far away!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:27:06 am »
Robin..you've mentioned a few of the "usual suspects". My now passed away USA contact Bob Neilson had been a wheeler and dealer in the vintage scene for years and was a pretty straight shooter. Between Jonesy and I we bought six bikes and a lot of parts from him over a few years and, despite having to recheck some of Bob's sometimes dodgy nut and bolt assemblies, we always got what was described and more. As I said, Bob had been dealing in exotic race bikes on both Marks Swapmeet and eBay for years so he knew most of the wheelers and dealers and regulars on Marks and had nothing nice to say about Mark Palermo, David Tellez, and Arizona Mike.

Overall I've had no major problems with anybody I've bought from on Marks other than the bloke who sold me a "rebuildable" 400 Maico engine that had been under water for so long the whole thing was a solid, rusted hulk. My most recent experience on Marks saw two total strangers (to each other) who'd sold me bikes get together to transport both bikes to my shipper on Long Beach with a minimum of fuss or bother.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:31:18 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:53 am »
Bought some Husky parts of a Terry Davis via Marks and the guy was magic.
Exactly as described , cheap , and he even cleaned them up.
Happy happy.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:20:18 am »
Good post
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:02:57 pm »
Bill Orth is a good guy great to deal with and still has Rickman and Greeves for sale

I have never had too much problem with the guys on Marks .... or ebay for that matter.

formerly Marc.com

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:10 pm »
have really had no hassles from marks swapmeet guys i guess,i am doing a higher volume than most so my odds go up on dud deals,marty tripes was a big dissapointment think using past glories to sell his stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:42:22 pm »
I was looking at a bike on Arizona Mike's - maybe pay to get it checekd out ebfore forking over dollars  >:(
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:45:03 pm »
have bought 2 bikes from arizona mike no problem, bit dear but i was prepared to pay that price

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »
Allways a risk when dealing OS but this is good intell.You pay a premium with some of these dealers such as AZ mike so you would expect the product to be top shelf.As previously stated the VMX community is petty "small"worldwide so burn customers and trash your rep at your own risk.PS thanks for getting that engine over for me in your last shipment Shoreline.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 02:05:30 pm »
Bill Orth is a good guy great to deal with and still has Rickman and Greeves for sale
I can vouch for Bill too...he's a good honest seller who doesn't want the world for his stuff, unlike a couple of the 'usual suspects'. Anyone looking for a deluxe pre 65 ride would have to go a long way to find a better one than Bill's BSA 650 Metisse that he has for sale. It's a gem.

I reckon Marks Swapmeet has become the choice outlet for bargains. Many of the guys who offer their bikes and parts on Marks are over the eBay hassles and just want straightforward deal. I've also found that many of them are prepared to go the extra yard to help out with shipping to Oz or going a bit further to help out by cutting pipes to fit in a prepaid box or removing engines from frames to enable us to ship 'em as parts bikes. After a deal where the shipper has gone the extra yards I always post a thank you on Marks and in some cases even send them a small token gift like a t shirt or a magazine. Everybody likes to be appreciated.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »
I haven't bought a bike from the US, but I might have to if I can't find what I want over here. 

Have to agree about some of the great bargins on Marks Swapmeet even after you take shipping into account.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
lot of bikes on marks site were half the price on craigs when they were sold.But marks a great site
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:04 pm »
Is there an easy way to search craigs list without having to put in the closest city??

sorry for the hijack ::)