Author Topic: ENCLOSED TRAILERS  (Read 7392 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
ENCLOSED TRAILERS
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:27 pm »
toying with the idea of buying an enclosed trailer.
what do you guys think of them and do they carry 3 vmx bikes plus all the gear and tools?
i also want to stor the bikes in the trailer all the time as i am getting a little crowded with projects at the moment will have to unload a few to pay for it.
looked at a twin axle at the right price but to hard to handle on my own as i have to park it in the side yard.what is a good size
jim

Offline Fabulous

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: ENCLOSED TRAILERS
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:04:08 am »
I had an open 3 bike trailer for years and took the plunge for an enclosed one. Told the builder (Aussie tough) I wanted the biggest single axle one. Fits 3 vmx ers and a mini. Big box on the front for gear. Cost about $6k new but havent regretted it

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:13 am »
If you are going to use it for storage be fussy about the cladding..... no leaks, signbond or similar not just cheap and cheerful sheet of galv

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/trailers/tandem-axle/auction-399394740.htm
formerly Marc.com

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:27:12 am »
Jim, Check this out

http://www.beetleexchange.com.au/cct/

Lad who runs it is a dirt tracker, does some great enclosed bike trailers,

Al

Offline dirttracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:25:18 am »
hey jim,its matt from oberon,the guy you bought the elsinore off.We are making enclosed bike trailers at our work shop.you are welcome to ring me in regards to them on 63361105. our trailers fit 3 large bikes facing forward.They come standard with led lights,sunraysia wheels in a choice of black or white in colour,Brand new 8 ply tyres.there is also a personal access door in the side/front to access your gear area without having to remove bikes,this door comes standard.you are more than welcome to come an have a look at 1 as i have a couple in stock at the moment which are ready to go.if you wanna know prices or anything else please do not hesitate to give me a call.

cheers
Matt

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:59 am »
These days I tend to think more 35ft truck  :P
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:07:45 am »
I'm with you Slackey. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:00 am »
To answer the other side of the question, the longer the draw bar the more stable they are to reverse. The shorter the draw bar quicker they respond. So, twin axle trailers are easier to reverse but might take more room or more shunting to get into tight spaces.

Twin axle trailers will tend to rip up grass etc when turned tightly.

Sounds a good solution to space and transport - but take appropriate measures for security ;). Get it wrong and your goodies are gone in a flash, no effort :-\.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:52:49 am »
Good idea for storage as well. Maybe thinking of something simular myself as no more room for bikes and every time l want work on some thing l have to empty the shed. Size wise good question. I have an old boat trailer which l use for taking the sidecars around , l get 2 sidecars and a solo on it or 4 solo's. it measures 3.00 metre's by 1.8 metre's on the bed plus the draw bar which has a tool box on it, it is also single axle and tow's like a dream, and has my roof top tent on it as well.
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 09:26:39 am »
Twin axle trailers will tend to rip up grass etc when turned tightly.

The big plus with twin axles IMHO is the trailer is much more stable to walk in and out of especially when parked without a car but on a jockey wheel, wheels. Downside is they are of course heavier and big ones have heaps of wind resistance.
formerly Marc.com

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:15 am »
Get as big a one as you can cope with, you wont regret it being big, I have a 6m enclosed trailer and it is great security from shit happening to your bikes when parked unattended and also at night , also if a bike falls over it cant go anywhere.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

ted

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »
What`s your budget

Five figures plus.....

gilletty

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »
Check out Metalink. Make fantastic enclosed trailers with camper.

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:28 pm »
i have a RAM RACING trailer, excellent quality, takes 3 full size bikes and a shit load of gear, light and tows like a dream. Bob GRAHAM can be contacted on 0417 115088, hails from near Benalla. Would recommend him highly, and can build to order.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 07:37:28 pm »
thanks for all the replys will look at all the info