Author Topic: Ouch!!  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Ouch!!
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:36 pm »
On Saturday (13-8-11) I rode my 1983 Tenere in the Theo Nixon 6Hr (the 5th round of the SA Reliability Trial Series), which was run near Mallala on the Adelaide Plains.

The course comprised 9 competitive special / paddock sections of 2 to 10km long spaced out over a lap of 130km. The paddock sections were in great condition due to the rain that had fallen during the week and put just enough moisture into the ground to prevent any dust, without turning it into mud. The paddocks were a mixture of mallee scrub, salt bush flats, red loam sand hills and even a couple of excursions onto some not quite dry salt/clay pans.

Though a "strange" quirk of luck the 8 solo riders from my club (Clare MCC) all drew consecutive numbers in the "random" ballot for starting numbers, so the ride was quite a social occasion, with everyone having a good time as we waited for our "minutes" at the start of the paddock sections.

I was having a great ride and all was going well until I had a bit of an incident in the 9th (last) paddock of the first lap. This paddock section was a 7km run through some medium density mallee scrub. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon and with the sun starting to set, visibility was crap, riding in and out of bright sunlight and heavy shade. About a km or two into the section, I was powering out of a reasonably tight left hand corner in 2nd gear, when there was a god almighty thump to my right foot.

After a lot of swearing, the pain subsided (well my foot when numb) and l rode on slowly to the finish of the paddock, and then back along the final transport section to the main control.  After a 15 - 20 minute layover at the main control / fuel dump, I was still able to kickstart the bike, so I headed out and rode the second lap rather carefully. I rode the last paddock a bit slower than the first time, and kept a good lookout to see if I could find what it was that I had hit. It turns out that I had hit a descent sized log / fallen branch about 150 - 250mm in diameter and about 3 to 4 metres in length, that was right on the edge of the track.

So, Foot V's log; guess which won?

You got it, the Log won!

I suppose when the combine weight of a near fully fuelled Tenere and a 125kg rider impacts with an immovable object, something has to give! The RH foot peg bracket is also bent back at about 45 degrees, and it would have taken a fair bit of force to do.

The up side is that through finishing I won my class (Class M) and gained another 25 points towards the State Championship.  Oh the stupid thing you do for a plastic trophy.

I went to the doctor's yesterday,
2nd bone of big toe (proximal phalange) broken in two places;
1st bone (distal phalanges) of the 2nd and 3rd toes crushed / shattered;
2nd bone of 2nd and 3rd toes (proximal phalanges) both broken.
2nd bone (proximal phalange) of 4th toe broken.

Net result is that my foot and lower are leg now encased in a fibreglass cast to try and immobilise the foot and toes. I would hate to have seen the damage to my foot if I didn't have descent boots on.

The big down side to the whole thing is that it has pretty well stuffed up the busiest part of the season for me.  Apart from having nothing on next weekend, I had a major event on for the following 5 weekends;
Manum 6hr (6th rnd of SARTS)
VMX Nationals
Clare 6hr (6th rnd of SARTS)
SA Moto Trials Champ’s
Aust Moto Trials Champs

Col
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »
Another good report-thanks for that. Any pics this time?
You are making us all want to move south for the winter (shit did I just say that?)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:30:16 pm »
I only took one picture during the event;

These are some of the Clare MCC bikes at Control 11 during the second lap. The picture was taken at about 7:40 pm.

Overall, it was the perfect day and night for a ride. The rain that had been falling on and off for the week had stopped leaving the paddocks in perfect condition. The temp during the afternoon was about 16 - 17 degrees and once the sun had set, there was a full moon to light the way. The temperature did start to drop off as the night progressed, but the only time that I felt cold was on the final transport section back to the main control, where I arrived at about 9:20pm.

So, come on down for a ride, if you are lucky, you might just enjoy it.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

mainline

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:24:20 pm »
looks nasty, can I ask what boots you were wearing?

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
Popeye-we gotta get that outfit put onto the 610 Husky you have.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:27 am »
Mainline;
I wear a pair of FORMA Boulder trials boots.

They don't offer quite as good a protection as a pair of the lastest style MX boots, but as I have aged I have found it almost imposible to use the gear lever / brake pedal in the more ridged MX style boots.

On Sunday, while limping about the place before going to the doctor, I even considered going back in time and using these, which still live in the shed with all my old riding gera.

EML;
Here is one that you might like;

This is Dave Manuel and Tony Tscharke's Mefo 510 outfit.

CJ
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:14:49 am by Colj500 »

mainline

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »
Mainline;

only useful for smashing into large rocks obviously ;) ;D

as for those Scott thingys, did anyone actually persist with wearing them after the initial buzz?

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:02:04 am »
I take it Tony Tscharke is from the wine growing family in the Barossa?
What a great 'brand' name-pronounced Sharky, though its been used already in mx.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:48:35 am »
Mainline;

only useful for smashing into large rocks obviously ;) ;D

as for those Scott thingys, did anyone actually persist with wearing them after the initial buzz?
I imported mine from the US myself, which was a painfully thing back then. I wore them for about about 3 years in C grade and club MX, however I still had a pair of Alpine Star boots that I wore for enduros, as the Scott's wren't to good for enduro use.

I take it Tony Tscharke is from the wine growing family in the Barossa?
What a great 'brand' name-pronounced Sharky, though its been used already in mx.

Not really sure, but they call him "Bones" normally.

CJ
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:55:19 am by Colj500 »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
Yeah he is from here and he runs trike tours around the valley
http://www.barossatriketours.com.au/
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022