Author Topic: I may not know art...  (Read 6148 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: I may not know art...
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:18:53 am »
I still have my little rat commuter tucked away..maybe I should get it out and enter it in the next Deus competition and see if I can pick up a 3rd place!  not likely!!
Now there you go again Christopher....underestimating yourself and the quality of your bikes. Why wouldn't your little 'rat racer' be suitable for the Deus show? That little bike is exactly what fits into the concept.
I tell you what...when my Benelli's finished, I'm going to enter it at Deus and so are a couple of mates and their weird roadie contraptions. Here's a deal for you to consider....I'll sponsor your entry and give you a place to stay, feed you and treat you to the garage tour to end 'em all while you're down here showing the bike. I reckon you'll be at home amongst your budget bike peers at Deus. Your little Kwaka is way better than  "third place" quality.
As for the red P.O.S, as Firko called it.  It might not be that pretty, but for a postie bike bucket racer that probably cost less than most people spend on new plastics for their VMX bike, it's not bad
With utmost respect Bern....I'd hate to be the poor punter racing that posty death trap in the Bucket Class. The whole geometry and construction are the antithesis of a well constructed racer. I understand why the bloke built it, I understand his concept and I respect his right to build whatever he likes the way hefeels is right but....he could have done it a lot better, it's not even a convincing rat bike. Of all of the bikes I saw at the show, that one was without doubt the biggest death trap. I saw the owner/"builder" and after watching him for a while suspect he'd entered the bike just to take the piss. ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »
Thanks mark and that's a mighty mighty fine gesture of you! I'd love to take you up on the offer. Will see how things pan out in due time. I need to do a little work to the kwack as it's been sitting for years, the seat got tossed out (don't ask ::)) and there's a few more items I'd need to sort to have it presentable. Definitely a proposition I'll keep in mind though :)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »
See my take is its a lifestyle statement thing, your average young guy now wants to jump on their social networking site, get on the friends list, grow dreds, drop by and grab his rat bike and designer ripped jeans and basically assume the lifestyle .... much the same as his parents did at the Harley dealer.  ;D

Just the young blokes from private schools are not as self concious about it.

formerly Marc.com

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »

With utmost respect Bern....I'd hate to be the poor punter racing that posty death trap in the Bucket Class. The whole geometry and construction are the antithesis of a well constructed racer. I understand why the bloke built it, I understand his concept and I respect his right to build whatever he likes the way hefeels is right but....he could have done it a lot better, it's not even a convincing rat bike. Of all of the bikes I saw at the show, that one was without doubt the biggest death trap. I saw the owner/"builder" and after watching him for a while suspect he'd entered the bike just to take the piss. ::)

Looking at that bike and some of the others I'd doubt if any of them were ever built to be ridden.  I'm sure some are "I've got a spare hour and a pile of bits, I'll slap something up while I wait for the paint on my cases to dry".

Marc, I think you might be pretty close, but dreads are a bit passe now.  Short back and sides with neck and hand tattoos.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:07 am »
Home grown ART by TonyT and Doggy Digger

------------

-----------------

ABOVE: Tony's 'selective color' tonal treatment ...
--------------

[/quote]
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:06 am »

arc, I think you might be pretty close, but dreads are a bit passe now.  Short back and sides with neck and hand tattoos.

Yep neck and hand tatoo's are great look at job interviews..... but I guess if you are interviewing at Deus you are laughing.

Funny Billy Joel bike shopping there, I met him years ago bike shopping in Perth, he ended up buying Triumph Thunderbird ( you knwo a real one) from JCS.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 10:11:50 am »
See my take is its a lifestyle statement thing, your average young guy now wants to jump on their social networking site, get on the friends list, grow dreds, drop by and grab his rat bike and designer ripped jeans and basically assume the lifestyle .... much the same as his parents did at the Harley dealer.  ;D

Just the young blokes from private schools are not as self concious about it.

Note the reflection of photographer in shop window. :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:13 am »
Funny Billy Joel bike shopping there, I met him years ago bike shopping in Perth, he ended up buying Triumph Thunderbird ( you knwo a real one) from JCS.

Brad Pitt bought one while he was here filming something or other. There was a classic bit of papparazi news film showing the Bradster lane splitting in traffic in Bevely Hills or Malibu and collecting a car mirror and going down. A close up of the bike proved to be the same very W1 powered bike he'd bought at Deus ex Machina.

Billy Joel was featured on the season final episode of the Turbo channels excellent 'Cafe Racer' series showing of his extensive and eclectic bike collection. I was stoked to see that Billy was a 'brother', a fellow bike guy. It seems that since he's retired from the music biz he spends a lot of his time fiddling with and riding his bikes. Not too long ago had a pretty serious accident, falling off his Moto Guzzi Lemans at speed which apparently chopped him up pretty seriously.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
apparently the 'tractor' bike is a 11HP Ducati diesel...