Author Topic: femsatronic dual spark ignition  (Read 4196 times)

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
femsatronic dual spark ignition
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:36 am »
my 360 sidepiper has a femsa dual spark electronic ignition and it just died today, what is more likely to fail? the cdi box or both coils as the same time!
it packed up at the last meeting and i remade the connections and low and behold the sparks came back but this morning started bike up for practice and it ran for a minute or two then died and thats it ive checked all wires and conectors but still nothing could it be a duff joint within the sealed cdi box as i find it hard to belive that both coils can go together i would think one would still spark but somthing inside could be ratling about giving intermitent spark.
what alternative systems that cater for twin plugs are available? and are there any femsa replacements about?
could i open up the box and have a look?

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
Re: femsatronic dual spark ignition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:36 am »
SM I have a 250 sidepipe engine in a later frame fitted with a PVL ignition,had no problems at all.Having said that I have a 380 still using points also no problems at all.I have read some material in the past with the opinion that the Femsa ignition is a "weak link".Make your ignition single plug and invest in an after market new electronic system such as PVL,friends who have CZs (and run at the front unlike me)have this setup.You can blank off the forward spark plug hole with a suitable bolt or just use a sparkplug.Cheers.

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:15 am »
lisa's 69 250 stoped at the classic this month,,still had spark but the Condenser  was shoot. put a new one in $6.75 later and away she goes again. both our 250 and 360 still run points and go well. went and bought a spare just in case . still trying to push the pvl onto lisa but more money..
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:35 pm »
Yeah good luck with that Brian... :D

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:50 pm »
Hi Brian ,
tell Lisa I'm really sorry , I should have told you about that ignition, it never failed me in the previous 13 years I had owned it , I should have told you that you have to replace those condensors every 13 or 14 years , I'm glad you now have a spare though, come to think of it its probably due for a set points they are also more than 13 years old,
cheers :D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:29:22 pm »
dont bother looking for a pvl for a cz they dont make them
electronic ignitions from the guy in the uk or cr in usa or lee holth in the usa
jim

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:07 pm »
true no pvl available have been quoted for the other makes but single spark only, will this make much difference?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:28:50 pm »
it should make your bike go well 1 plug is all you need i run my points with 1 plug per a wiring dia supplied by lee holth

http://www.czstuff.com/

http://www.crhighperformance.com/index.html

http://members.cox.net/czguy/       lee holth

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:14 am »
Shouldn't make a difference, the 74 models used the exact same head as the 73 models with the front hole not drilled.
None of the modern systems for CZs run dual plugs which confirm that only the 1 plug is needed

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:54:32 am »
Les at VMX unlimited has electronic ignitions which would be comparable in price to OS product.This one looks much the same as mine judging from the pictures.