Author Topic: Dumb question re: number plates  (Read 2061 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Dumb question re: number plates
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »
Are there "rules" regarding number plate background colours similiar to the MX guys? Jerry

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question re: number plates
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:49 pm »
Dumb question (not)  Interesting yes ...
Is it classic mx or enduro umbrella ?
It would have to be age and era - same as Classic MX ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

IT400C

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »
Hmmm - Traditionally Enduro numberplate background colours are plain yellow with black numbers, no matter what class you ran.

Enduros numbers are allocated on a per event basis - i.e. you'd enter the event and be told what your number for the even was in your acceptance letter (this is back in the days when entries closed 2 weeks before the event)

You'd then go buy your number and put it on your numberplate prior to the event.

Your number was based on the running order (80's-125's-175's-250's-400's).

Apart from adding the letter for age class, I can't see what else you'd do - that seems to be what they did at Harrow a few weeks ago..

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
Every enduro I've been to, modern or otherwise, has supplied the numbers for your bike or helmet - the exceptions being the couple of modern events where they had transponders... (a rant for another time).

Usually they're squares of white contact with a number hand-written in black texta. Harrow and HBBB had nice yellow printed ovals.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

IT400C

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:23 pm »
Every enduro I've been to, modern or otherwise, has supplied the numbers for your bike or helmet - the exceptions being the couple of modern events where they had transponders... (a rant for another time).

Usually they're squares of white contact with a number hand-written in black texta. Harrow and HBBB had nice yellow printed ovals.

They only started supplying hand written numbers when they started allowing entry on the day - prior to that you number was in your acceptance - posted out a week before the event.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:14:35 pm »
What plate background colour is white? Is that only for US desert racing? because i know Al Bakers early Hondas had white plates.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

IT400C

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:40:27 pm »
Yellow is FIM standard - in the US, especially desert races, they could have done whatever they wanted.

Red and Green backgrounds for Trophy and Vase teams at the ISDE/A4DE, or Red backgrounds for Pro Riders.....  All sorts of variations.

The Yanks especially tend to just do whatever suited them.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »
So is it fair to assume that if I roll up with yellow backgrounds on a 250 I wont be thrown out of the scrutineering bay? Jerry

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:04:14 pm »
It would be very safe to assume that.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

IT400C

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:09:01 am »
It would be very safe to assume that.

Very, very safe...   ;D