Author Topic: Deakin YZ250  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Deakin YZ250
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:20 pm »
If it's a real top ten bike were are the other bits? Period time would at least see a pro circuit barrel and pipe. Still for right money they were not a bad bike
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:37:37 pm »
Its legit. I entertained buying it a few years back, before oldyzman got it - at that time, it was advertised as just an old dirt bike...

I'd still love to own it, but real life gets in the way sometimes...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »
carby is out of period ,can't imagine JD used one of those.

Shock is WhitePower. price is reasonable .

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »
Thats right Motomaniac, Carby originally used on Deakins bike this was a VM Mikuni. I was going to change it to one but a friend of mine talked up the Flatside EI, it will still pass for Pre90...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:26 pm »
Thats right Motomaniac, Carby originally used on Deakins bike this was a VM Mikuni. I was going to change it to one but a friend of mine talked up the Flatside EI, it will still pass for Pre90...
Brett

The later flatslides of the 80's are much more advanced than those old El's , they belong on an Evo bike.

IT400C

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:04:12 am »
Yeah, I used to own one of Peter Melton's Marlboro YZ250U's (his third bike for the year).

When I got it at the end of '88 it had only done the Canberra Supercross and a couple of practices.

But it also had none of the bling bits left on it either - just the ported barrel.

If it wasn't for the big "5"s on the numberplates and the remnants of Dayglo paint under the tank, you'd never have any idea that it was a Marlboro bike...

::)

IT400C

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 01:11:58 am »
Wish I'd kept it, but when I later bought a new bike, there was no way I could afford to get the knew one without selling the old...    :'(

And don't forget, mid-late 80's was when dirt bike prices went through the roof - most guys were struggling to afford a new bike each year, let alone keep an old one as well!

Hopefully that old U is keeping a smile on somebody's face in Sydney still.

Last time I saw it, Mark Avards brother had borrowed it off the floor of Action Suzuki to ride a Cross Country on...   An 88 model YZ against a field full of 92-93 model bikes in the expert class and it still got the holeshot by a fair margin...   ;D

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 08:44:19 am »
The deakin bike is missing the exp chamber, but the cylinder is legit and so is the muffler. Anyway whaterver,  lets see if it sells.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:29:03 am »
IMO it wouldn't be that hard to find on Ebay a Pro circuit barrel and pipe for it and with your skills John you could make it look as it did back in the day. The hard parts are on the bike. Buy it John it would look good in your shed.  ;D
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 01:46:37 pm »
When i got this bike i was told by Geoff Holmes that the cylinder was stamped with JD, i have just looked and I can confirm it is...
Brett