Author Topic: boysen reeds!  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: boysen reeds!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 10:41:27 pm »
I am with Firko !!! None of my 754 motors use the flat pricks ..... :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 09:34:24 pm »
Geoff the Pro series are much better.Helps the top reed flapping uncontrollably like a toupee in the wind.Reed conversions only work when the additional ports go in that otherwise wouldn't be possible without the reed valve.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:17 am »
The reed conversion to the Maico did tidy up the bottom end a slight bit but then only when I switched to a Mikuni carby. When weighed up against the considerable welding and machining I put into fitting the Yamaha cage and the sacrificing of an unobtainable 350 Maico barrel, it wasn't worth the effort. I agree with what Lozza alludes to in that reed conversions to piston ported engines are often not successful. The only Elsinore conversion I ever saw that worked was Kevin Hortons radical methanol Elsinore that had been fitted with a CR500 reed cage and V Force reeds. Sadly the conversion was deemed illegal and later banished from the sport. Those GEM and Mossberger bolt on reed conversions aren't worth half of the silly money they get for them on eBay these days. I have a GEM DT1 kit that I'll keep on the shelf as a curiosity.

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 11:03:03 am »
mboddy did you get the reeds yet?
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:18 pm »
Yes thanks Tony but not quite in time for the weekend. I'll have to try them later. Thanks.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 11:04:27 pm »
geeze i can even be bothered cleaning the air filter and you guys are all getting pro on reeds and shit.  whats wrong with the steel ones ? if it came with it it stays on. and get a wipe with a rage if its lucky.  you guys have way to much time or money or both.   whats next crankcase suction pumps
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 08:11:24 am »
mmm i just might stick with the standard reeds after all... ::)

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 08:23:36 am »
whats next crankcase suction pumps

Reed block stuffers.  :)
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 01:09:03 pm »
Unfortunately Freaky racing is all about improving the breed. If you don't take advantage of what's on offer today that's your choice.Has nothing to do with money or time at all it's more about being smart.Using steel reeds is dumb/pig headed as they are just complete SHIT.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 08:50:59 pm »
mmm..... like they say historic racing is only in the photos. the gap between reality and history widens...  actually some say its cheating but ill let that blow up in the postie scooter thread :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 04:57:58 pm »
In club races I guess we are all kidding ourselves, those that buy power parts and those that claim its cheating, because 5 or 6 hp aint gonna make a bees dick difference to who crosses the line first, its 95% rider that counts, its not uncommon for guys on really old no power no suspension bikes to thrash the crap out of guys with 12 inches of travel rising rate suspensions and 55 hp,, in fact in our club QVMX we have some guys that ride 1960sumpting BSA's that will knock the crap outa most guys on any evo or pre 85 bike, even on a track with jumps. When it comes to nationals with rule books I recon yes then it should be monitored just so that people know that there is a limit to go to.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 09:51:51 pm »
you beauty - finally got something to argue with Firko about  :D - bit late I know but haven't been on the site for a few days. 

Must admit Firko my 73 Elsie came already fitted with a GEM reed and has been ported/windowed/polished within an inch of it's life by the previous owner.  But I can guarantee that it has made significant difference to my 250 compared to any other Elsinores in the club.  I must admit (and boy I know I will get caned for this comment) I give away just a couple of kilos to some of my mates but the 250 (in a straight line anyway) certainly holds her own (and often better).  It is crisper across the entire range and better off the bottom and just doesn't want to stop going.  Addmitedly the guy before me had receipts for VAST amounts of money spent on it but the reed valve for me is a great addition - and thanks to Lozza for the new petals as spares for them are rare as nowadays.

I have ridden other stock Elsies and they aren't in the same ball park. ;D

FWIW

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Broadsta

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 12:16:36 am »
Ican remember in the late 70's the fitting of boyesen reeds was always the 1st mod the ol man did 2 my yz80's. Also ithink its just peace of mind knowing your not goin2 lunch your engine if 1 lets go.