Author Topic: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.  (Read 51805 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2012, 10:21:00 am »
I meant to say yesterday that it wont matter what it handles like because 99.9% of trials riding is the rider.
A good trials rider will ride anything anywhere at any time and show the rest of us how it should be done.
I could be on the best trials bike ever and still look like a chooka :D

Montynut

« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:32 am »
I'll swap you a ride on my Monty Cota 242 if you want 8) Somehow I think Toni Bou would even have trouble putting a '73 TM400 or original '82 YZ490 up a trials section ;D but the point of your statement is true as I have a good trials bike and often ask the observer while pinned under it "Is that a 5"  :D ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:09:08 pm by Montynut »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »
How did the trials bike go at CD?

mainline

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »
Do we know where the pics went from the flattracker build in the link on page 1 ?

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2012, 08:32:37 pm »
Sorry Tony, bit late replying, but work has kept me busy. I didn't ride the bike much at CD9, as I spent most of the time on the 400. Montynut was kind enough to take it for a spin and said he liked it, but thought it could do with a little lower gearing, straighter handlebars and perhaps a bit more flywheel weight. It definitely needs a skid plate, particularly as the rear engine mount hangs low. Montynut can feel free to step in here and add anything I've missed.
Do we know where the pics went from the flattracker build in the link on page 1 ?
Not sure what happened to them mainline, as Firko hosted that build, but I still have them. I can repost them or put them on photobucket and post a link if you like.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:00 pm »
yeah id like to see the flat tracker pics as well as ive got a dt400h to do

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:26 pm »
I hosted the photos of Petes flat tracker through Village Photos. When they went tits up, everything on the forum done through Village disappeared. Sorry for the inconvenience but who'd have thought that would happen?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51:26 am »
Sorry Tony, bit late replying, but work has kept me busy. I didn't ride the bike much at CD9, as I spent most of the time on the 400. Montynut was kind enough to take it for a spin and said he liked it, but thought it could do with a little lower gearing, straighter handlebars and perhaps a bit more flywheel weight. It definitely needs a skid plate, particularly as the rear engine mount hangs low. Montynut can feel free to step in here and add anything I've missed.
Not sure what happened to them mainline, as Firko hosted that build, but I still have them. I can repost them or put them on photobucket and post a link if you like.
That'd be great if you could, I'd really like to see the pics of the steering head mod again. Cheers

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »
These?

It's important that you measure the head angle with the bike sitting on a flat surface first, then decide what angle you want to come back to. You now have a difference so once you know this value it doesn't matter where you have the bike set up when you do the mod - just make sure you have the frame secured when you do it.

You probably need to shoot for somewhere around 25 to 26 degrees of head angle, 1400 - 1450mm wheelbase and 90 - 110mm trail. The weight bias should be about 52%/48% front to rear. These are numbers that work for me, so feel free to get a second opinion. ;D

mainline

« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2012, 09:23:37 am »
that's them, thanks for digging them up. Not sure what angle/wheelbase I'm looking at yet. This is a trials thing not a flattracker, I just remembered seeing the digital level in there and thought it was a pretty neat job. Thanks again

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2012, 09:31:02 am »
Not only that but the level is a Husky. :D :D :D
Very clever work too.

Montynut

« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2012, 09:39:08 am »

I rode the Yammy. It has potential.

The gearing was too high and I found the power was too harsh off idle. This means it has a tendancy to stall easily and with no warning

I think it could possibly use a smaller carbie (it looked like a 26mm while a TY175 has a 22mm from memory) as the transition from throttle closed to throttle open unsettles the bike pretty badly.

The engine needs as much weight as possible added to the flywheel/crank to smooth out the power in the first 1/4 of throttle opening

The rear engine mount at present hangs up very easily but a good flat sump plate will reduce that.

I thought it could use longer shocks to lift the rear and increase the swingarm angle of attach.

The handlebars have a largish curve when trials bars are very straight to allow the rider to easily move their weight over the front

I know this all sounds like I have a massive list of problems with it but most are easily solved and were already in the pipeline. It the old story it is 90% there but the last 10% is trial and error
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:41:17 am by Montynut »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2012, 10:14:23 pm »

I rode the Yammy. It has potential.

The gearing was too high and I found the power was too harsh off idle. This means it has a tendancy to stall easily and with no warning

I think it could possibly use a smaller carbie (it looked like a 26mm while a TY175 has a 22mm from memory) as the transition from throttle closed to throttle open unsettles the bike pretty badly.

The engine needs as much weight as possible added to the flywheel/crank to smooth out the power in the first 1/4 of throttle opening

The rear engine mount at present hangs up very easily but a good flat sump plate will reduce that.

I thought it could use longer shocks to lift the rear and increase the swingarm angle of attach.

The handlebars have a largish curve when trials bars are very straight to allow the rider to easily move their weight over the front

I know this all sounds like I have a massive list of problems with it but most are easily solved and were already in the pipeline. It the old story it is 90% there but the last 10% is trial and error
I'm bitterly disappointed in the bike after having poured over $600 into it - what a money pit.

Montynut

« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:41 am »
I'm sorry if my comments were interpretted as all negative. My points were assuming the bike was to be a serious Classic Trials mount.

You indiacted at CD9 that it was more a bike aimed at someone starting out and as a trail bike with a 'trials' focus a bit like an Alpina or Montesa 172T then it is bloody perfect 8). Except the handle bars ??? couldn't handle them but that is personal preference. It is a shame you didn't have a ride on my Cota 242.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »
I'm bitterly disappointed in the bike after having poured over $600 into it - what a money pit.
AJ and I sincerely hope you don't you spend that kind of money again Pete....you're creating an uneven playing field for us poor folk. Remember the challenge! ;D ;D ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha