Author Topic: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.  (Read 51804 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:49 am »
Any particular reason the kick-stand is on the right?
Is it a 'trials' thing, a southern European thing or are all the trees at a trial taken by a broken down Bully? 

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2012, 10:21:31 am »
havn't you got a job Vaughan?
sidestand is on the right because the left side gets "busy" with the chain and possible tensioner.
it's a clearance thing dude.
"flat bickie"

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:24 am »
I'm waiting for another VNXer to come in a buy/beg a bit of pipe that they don't want me to cut/bend/weld ("I can do that myself") :D :D :D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2012, 11:42:04 am »
Thanks very much for your kind offer Mark, but as Brent says they have an odd rake offset to the steering head. Also, I think the TY250 forks are 34mm, whereas I have 30mm forks, with brand new freebie tubes. I think I'll go with John and Vandy and get the MX125 triples. Much appreciated though.
No worries Pete....I think they'll be a good experiment for dirt track, perhaps on the Hindall tracker if I use the billet clamps on the Trackmaster XS650.

I had another read of Bells book in bed last night and unfortunately JC and everyone is right...he doesn't get into trials systems much, if at all. While reading Bells book I had an inkling from long ago of reading something by Gordon Blair (or maybe it was Jennings) on trials exhaust but I've just spent over an hour Googling for it with no result.
Having said that, JC has unearthed a few trials pipes cut in half (courtesy of trials guru David Lahey) and they have a straight perforated pipe inside. The lawn mower muffler is looking better all the time.
If that's the case, perhaps my TL muffler might not be as silly as it originally seems. It's here for the taking. I'd be tempted to cut my Maico "expansion" box to see what's in there but I'm out of gas to weld it back together ;D.
Here's a PDF file of Dr Blairs book. It probably doesn't solve Pete's immediate problem but it's an interesting read for technophiles.
http://www.media.rmutt.ac.th/media/e-book/Engineer/Automotive/The%20Basic%20Design%20of%20Two%20Stroke%20Engines.pdf
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2012, 06:39:57 pm »
Ditto my hand made Maico trials bike. There doesn't seem to be a lot of science in the exhaust design but the bike performs really well in trials situations so the original builder must have done some form of exhaust research. I had a bit of a look through A. Graham Bells 'Performance Tuning in Theory and Practice' bible and there's not a mention of trials exhaust design.

Modern trials pipes are calculated to the mm, just because it looks simple doesn't mean it is. They are hard to get wrong , a long parralel header will help them pull off the bottom well.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »
Be prepared to move the frontpegs after your first ride, they look a bit further back than ideal. If they're too far back the front sledges when turning

That's the angle of the camera shot making it appear like that Tony. The footrests are actually only 15mm further back from the front axle than TY175 pegs and, because my swingarm is a little longer, are further away from the rear axle than the TY. Still, if they are too far back its's very simple to move them forward.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »
I suspected that camera angle may have had something to do with it, best part about using plate mounted pegs is ease of adjustment if needed.
Standard TY175s are too light in the front end & benefit from lengthening the swingarm
I could take some measurements of position relative to swingarm pivot on my sherco & TY250c when I get back to NZ from the gold coast in the weekend if that helps out to compare
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:09:24 pm by tony27 »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »
I suspected that camera angle may have had something to do with it, best part about using plate mounted pegs is ease of adjustment if needed.
I could take some measurements of position relative to swingarm pivot on my sherco & ty250c when I get back to NZ from the gold coast in the weekend if that helps out

That'd be great, thanks.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:29 am »

Modern trials pipes are calculated to the mm, just because it looks simple doesn't mean it is. They are hard to get wrong , a long parralel header will help them pull off the bottom well.

Lozza, tell us more. The long parallel header is a given, tho some more modern designs appear to have a slight taper for about half its length.

But we want to know about the design of the so-called "mid-box" specifically for trials. We all have a decent grasp of expansion chamber design for MX, enduro etc, but none of us can find anything specific to trials bikes design.

If you apply the usual expansion chamber design criteria, adapted for broad powerband & low-end power, you get a design much much longer than the typical trials exhausts. A couple of manufacturers went that route circa '80 but it didn't last.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2012, 12:59:21 pm »
it's easy they 'smear' the return wave (it's not sound either more later on that) and make a low amplitude pulse.
If the taper has been incorporated into the header that's needed due to the better transfer geometry of modern engines.
An exhaust pulse has 3 parts. Pressure, sound and particle, pressure wave moves fastest, then sound and last the particle. Practicaly they are hard to separate in a pipe, easy with transducers

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2012, 01:15:33 pm »
it's easy they 'smear' the return wave (it's not sound either more later on that) and make a low amplitude pulse.
If the taper has been incorporated into the header that's needed due to the better transfer geometry of modern engines.
An exhaust pulse has 3 parts. Pressure, sound and particle, pressure wave moves fastest, then sound and last the particle. Practicaly they are hard to separate in a pipe, easy with transducers

So he should be using transducers not a chamber?   ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »

Which one?  The -ve return wave or +ve one?

it's not sound either more later on that

:-[ duh, yes of course; pressure wave. Seniors moment!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2012, 04:17:27 pm »
I like the idea or wooping and hollering.  I think i need the drugs EML is on.  lets play cowboy and indians
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2012, 04:23:17 pm »

So he should be using transducers not a chamber?   ;D

Just where you put it makes all the difference Jeff ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2012, 04:26:10 pm »

Which one?  The -ve return wave or +ve one?

it's not sound either more later on that

:-[ duh, yes of course; pressure wave. Seniors moment!

I left a hint in there for ya ;D There is no negative return wave only positive.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:27:56 pm by Lozza »