Author Topic: What type of van  (Read 4533 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
What type of van
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »
  Going to get rid of my old hilux ute it's getting old now and not that reliable.  Question is what to buy as a replacement?  I have decided on a van, that I can get at least a couple of bikes in and also sleep in if needed maybe at race meeting or swap meet,  also fuel economy is a factor and maybe a fold up rear seat.  VW transporters look ok but most between late 90s to early 2000s dont have air/con fitted.  Toyotas? do they have room inside, Merc Vito,  Hyundai, Ford Transit what sort on mpg and performance any ideas.  What do you drive?
                                                                     Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: What type of van
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
My brother has a Merc vito, its been good and economical, turbo Diesel Automatic, just blew the transmission, first quote to fix was $9K, second was 5 to $6K.
Go the toyota....
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:20:44 pm »
There is quiet a few vito owners on this forum  ;D
If I had my time and miles again with what I know now !!
I would of just gone straight for the high roof van...... 
Bed above bikes,kitchen up front next too driver/passenger area.!! Happy miles  8)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6541.0
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=1091.msg10336#msg10336
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=2300.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:57:13 am »
Merc Sprinter , manual  ;)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:04:14 am »
Just to throw a spanner in the works The Hyundai I load. Have some friends use them as work trucks and all rave about them.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15:25 am »
From a service and value perspective--go the iLoad. Time will tell that all the Europe stuff is crap!.
We have a news paper delivery co. behind us with 4 TDi Caddy vans and they are sending him broke, 2 are standing waiting for g/boxes. The others are just hanging in there and he also has a Renault box van that he can just keep going.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24:07 am »
Merc Sprinter , manual  ;)
Early model ;D

Try to give the newer TRANSIT a miss.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:10 am »
I have a 2.5L transporter on the for sale page. Ideal to be made into a camper/bike mover.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:12 am »
Pictures EML  ;)  Over on the other thread  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:37 am »
I have always had a Van for carrying my bikes owned quite a few, heres my 2 cents worth-

Hiace (6 X from 85-02) - can't beat for ride quality and reliability, I bought 2 that had over 600000K that still drove almost like new....you don't get that with any other van. commuter buses are awesome as you can carry 4 bikes and set them up as a mobile home as well. Only reason I went away from the Hiace was Safety, as I got older I was more concerned about driving a Cab over van.....too much time spent at the car auctions seeing Hiaces with crushed passenger compartments - yuck. A mate hit a Roo and it put the glove box half way thru the passenger seat, that was enough for me to move on

Mitsubishi Delica (series 2) - Most practicle car / race transporter I have ever owned, lots of room 4WD luxury but let down by niggling little problems like most mitsu's

VW Transporter (T4) - Noisy, heavy on fuel / low on power (a great combo) very expensive when something goes wrong eg $3500 for the headers which always stuff up, no aftermarket available, very hard to get second hand. Spent over $6000 on drive train parts in 3 years... haven't spent that much on Hiace parts in 20 years!!

Vito (RWD) - Nice to drive, diesel auto is fantastic but still noisier than a hiace and Like all the Euro Vans they are very exspensive to own once they have done more thatn a 100000K

Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 10:08:10 am »
Forgot to mention the Iload!

I'm shopping for another van atm looking for something only a couple of years old, driven most of the current crop of vans....the Diesel Auto Iload is going to be hard to beat for value, lots of room and drive OK
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 10:13:41 am »
I've been going to races in a mate's 01 TD Transit. Dual clutch auto.
Can't complain - happy and comfortable at 115kph, ~10l/100kms, never drops below 80kph on the biggest hills, etc.
[Touching wood] He's never had any real dramas with it - starter motor cracking the irits after getting full of water is the biggest hassle I know of.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 12:05:56 pm »
Wally, I had shares in a bus just like yours once except that one was blue ( I helped paint it)-come to think of it I might still be owed some on that deal. If yours goes missing try looking up north.
Don't know if any later model box vans will return that sort of milage-in fact they are built not to. And not sure where you would get a windscreen.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »
Dan's hiace van in our 'for sale section' looks pretty good,(i've seen what Dan can load in it too,pretty impressive), :P
ps my vans records 6 bikes to tassie ;)
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 03:41:02 pm »
I have a VW caddy maxi TDI manual which i use to deliver parcels as a contractor for aus post,It's 3 years old, done 55k on the clock, but if it had an hour meter it would be off the scale as it runs,stop start for up to 6 hr's a day all the time with the engine running but i only clock up 50 klm,in that time the only problems have been the clutch master shit itself (you can imagine how many times a day it goes in & out!)both cv shafts have been replaced because the boots were ripped & veedub said it was policy to replace the whole shaft & the reverse light switch on the gearbox cacked itself(once again, you can imagine how many times i go backwards in one day) all replaced under warranty. I can fit 2 pre 75 bikes in the back no probs but my later long travel bikes need to have the hangers dropped down to clear the rear door jamb,it's bloody brilliant on fuel out on the highway,has factory cruise,double side doors & lecky windows,in a nutshell i f*****g love it,dont think i'd buy the auto though,drove one,mushy as shit