Author Topic: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!  (Read 34889 times)

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2014, 10:34:01 am »
Welcome to the pissed off with Don club !
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:59:24 pm by curly001 »

Offline mungus

• Novice
  • TT600, YZ465, IT200, F8GS, TS90, Velocette, Gemini
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »
Well many unanswered emails and SMS's later I took the advice of others over on the IT forum and raised a complaint through the San Fran BBB office.

Interestingly they have quite a file on our friend Don Mendenhall;  ;D

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/bicycles-repair/back-in-the-day-mx-in-livermore-ca-389927/complaints

The BBB want 10 business days to attempt a resolution. I'm not holding my breath...  :-\

Grumpy old git.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:05 pm »
Where is our old mate Ted?? Thought he might of "chimed in" to defend this arsehole by now. ..
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline mungus

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »
Where is our old mate Ted?? Thought he might of "chimed in" to defend this arsehole by now. ..

Well if you read his BBB profile I don't think you'd want your name passed around as a supporter!  :)

Don't get me wrong, perhaps he isn't all bad and he may yet fix this mess up.
Why not? After all he has my money so he's not losing anything by refunding me for parts he never sent or junk he shouldn't have tried to send... I have even offered to save him sending a correct YZ465G brake torque arm by machining the front end down to the correct thickness. But like every other email and SMS I've sent (all polite), its received no reply.

I would be more than happy to report back to this thread saying he's done the right thing.  :)

Meantime he has been advertising items for sale on his website, taking money from customers and sending emails stating that he has sent parts that he hasn't. I note others got exactly the same BS story re postage that I got too. That being that the USPS international parcel he sent mysteriously had no tracking number (not possible according to USPS), and could take forever. Funny that mine came with a tracking number...

Theft by deception rings a bell. The total order was $565 USD, so that's a felony isn't it?  ;D
Grumpy old git.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2014, 06:22:01 pm »
Can i interest you in a Tee or cap

Or maybe some billet

What about a lid

All ( and more ) delivered as ordered
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline mungus

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2014, 04:09:50 am »
That's nice that YOU got what you ordered, however 1 satisfied customer does not make up for others wronged.  ???
Its akin to saying that Hitler was probably nice to Eva Braun so we can just forget about WW2...

If he is really such a good guy why not use your influence to get him to behave properly?
3 months of excuses and delays to receive anything, 2 weeks with no responses to emails, 1 week with no responses to SMS's.
Need I repeat, this guy;

Took $110 of my money for goods he failed to deliver, and
Took $175 of my money for an incorrect part, and
Took $  80 for substandard goods.

(Not including postage)

Well the BBB is onto him now, so if still you think hes so great you might want to check out their rating of him (F) and his recent track record of non responses to their attempts to resolve customer complaints.

Defend him all you like, but if the BBB get no joy then the FBI's internet fraud department will be notified. Feel free to pass that message on...

All I have asked him to do is reply to polite emails, and refund the missing and defective parts. It seems he adopts the Ostrich policy of pretending the emails don't exist and that if he ignores them, dissatisfied customers will just go away. Well this one won't... 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:21:02 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:22 am »
You say the BBB is onto him. They have an unresolved case against him from 13/6/2012. That's nearly two years. How much longer are you going to give them to get the joy you desire. Forget them!

The FBI. Are you serious. They can't find a plane that disappeared, let alone a few bike parts. Forget them also.

I suggest that anyone who is waiting for stuff to be delivered do exactly as I did. Get up at 4am Saturday morning and ring him. Worked every time.

I received everything I ordered and then some. The quality of his work far outweighed the waiting time. Like he has said on numerous occasions he is having health issues.

As a matter of fact back on July 30 2011 ( over two and a half years ago ) he  stated in this thread that he would deliver parts to your door and then you pay him for the goods when satisfied. The only stipulation was you pay the shipping first. Why didn't you take that option?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:51 am »
Its akin to saying that Hitler was probably nice to Eva Braun so we can just forget about WW2...
That's a crack up ;D.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline mungus

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2014, 03:11:00 pm »
You say the BBB is onto him. They have an unresolved case against him from 13/6/2012. That's nearly two years. How much longer are you going to give them to get the joy you desire. Forget them!
The FBI. Are you serious. They can't find a plane that disappeared, let alone a few bike parts. Forget them also.
I suggest that anyone who is waiting for stuff to be delivered do exactly as I did. Get up at 4am Saturday morning and ring him. Worked every time.
I received everything I ordered and then some. The quality of his work far outweighed the waiting time. Like he has said on numerous occasions he is having health issues.
As a matter of fact back on July 30 2011 ( over two and a half years ago ) he  stated in this thread that he would deliver parts to your door and then you pay him for the goods when satisfied. The only stipulation was you pay the shipping first. Why didn't you take that option?

What are you his mother now? Weird how it's now the customers fault that he takes money for things he never sends or for incorrect or substandard parts. Stranger still considering you yourself had to chase the guy to get your stuff. I am restoring 3 bikes right now and finished another VMX restoration last year (check out the IT forum for my IT200L), so I have been buying a sh*t load of VMX parts from within OZ and overseas, from dozens of traders. No one else has been this bad. We know he has a wife, can't she check his emails? And if he really is sick, she can simply send out a proforma response saying so. It's not rocket science...

For what it's worth I never saw that 2.5 yo post, I learnt about him from a google search for YZ465 billet parts that showed his website. Or perhaps I should have asked a psychic about him? Some of us don't have time to waste pre-researching every single trader we buy from.

Remember he was very communicative up until he "completed" my order, since then nada. That tells a story in itself.

As for quality of work? Well that's debatable; some bits were very nicely made for sure, but the wheel spacers he sent are just ugly junk, with bits of red anodising left behind and polishing waves in the alloy. And the $175 USD brake torque arm he sent has one end machined to the wrong size. i.e. not fit for purpose. High quality? Not always it seems.

Health problems? Then say so on his business's website, even suspending sales for a time if need be, OR get help with communications or orders etc, but remember - this is a web based parts business that takes your money, not UNICEF.

Whilst from the outset I have had little faith in the BBB as they have no real legal powers, I do try to step these things up gradually, so giving the offender a chance to see the error of their ways. Plus one guy posted that the BBB worked for him so why not give it a try? And yes I have been sending him multiple SMS's at very early US west coast hours for several days now, and calling too, alas he's not answering his mobile. I have left messages on his smooth sounding voicemail, but Nada! Its been 9 days since my first email complaint, with no responses to anything... is that how one runs a business?

The FBI tip off page simply puts him in their database etc., and I too seriously doubt they care. However with still no response from him I moved on to filing a tip to the Feds a few hours ago. Given his continued non communication and his demonstrated disregard for the BBB's attempts to resolve complaints made against him I felt I had to go that next step.

Not living in the US let alone CA I can't just rock up to his place with a bat in hand, and of course that's what he trades on. Do what he likes because who's gonna come calling, etc...

SMS phone and email activity will continue while I wait for the BBB and maybe even the FBI's înternet fraud division to reply. (Highly Unlikely I know, but ya never know ).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:15:20 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2014, 05:27:28 pm »
No mate, I am not his mother. I'm just a guy who ordered some parts and got them delivered. Sure I had to wait a bit to get one item, but I also didn't threaten to send Elliot Ness around to his place.

I'll tell you what I will do. You PM me your name you supplied when you ordered the parts, what parts are missing and any other grievances you have with him and I will contact him this week for you.

Offline mungus

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:30 pm »
Thanks for the offer Ted, but do you have any more channels of communication with him than I?
I have his email address, physical address and phone number. I've tried multiple emails, SMS's and phone calls. Nada so far.

Do you live near Livermore CA? Great if so, I would really appreciate you dropping by his place if convenient. Otherwise if you have another number or something please PM me and I'll take care of it. I will be polite when contacting him as I have been throughout this process.

If you feel like chatting to him over it you wouldn't need my name anyway. He has got a bunch of emails and SMS's there so he knows the deal;

- Refund my YZ465 TLS linkage (missing from the undamaged parcel) $110 USD.
- Refund my YZ465G wheel spacers (I ordered natural alloy but he sent red ones that had been polished to try and remove the colour. They look like crap. $80 USD.
- Partial refund of the $175 USD for the YZ465G brake torque arm which doesn't fit and requires one end to be machined down from 23mm to 14mm thick. (i.e. part not fit for purpose / doesn't fit).  This will save him sending the correct one if he at least offers to compensate me for the hassle and disappointment.

As for Elliot Ness, well what other options are there from over here in OZ? Thus far he has seemingly ignored a paying customer's concerns and is non-communicative, and appears to have snubbed the BBB. I am not interested in throwing away basically $200+ without trying to at least prevent others suffering the same fate. At least they will be forewarned and thus have a better chance at achieving satisfaction.

I am hopeful he will still do the right thing here, and will happily advise the forum if he does...  :)
Everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves, but its fair to say he's had a few chances already.
There are mixed messages here for sure; he can do nice work when he wants to, and he can communicate when he wants to, he sounds friendly on the phone and folks say his wife seems nice, so I feel he's probably not all bad. But actions speak louder than words...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:00:20 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2014, 05:50:02 pm »
I just have his number from his site. I will call him this week anyway.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2014, 12:29:23 pm »
Well done Ted for putting your hand up once again as the Aussie agent/spin doctor for this "dipshit".

Why don't you give every on who has had a drama with this moron your  OZ number seeing as you get on so well with him and can sort out the dramas so easily.

Hoping you might get a result for "mugus" with your obvious long distance love affair with him by shaming him into some action. God knows why you would  even need to do that if he was an upright and honest guy.

Sure that "mungus" as a relatively new member of the VMX forum community is so glad to have a guy like you with your standing in the forum referring business to this knob. Way to go ...doing the right thing by the VMX community. NOT!!  :o

SLAWESY
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline mungus

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2014, 01:30:55 pm »
Well it looks like the BBB and my repetitive Comms have done the trick. Well partially at least.
A day after the BBB told me they have contacted him, he has sent me $30 via PayPal to get the torque arm machined.  :)

He's also promised to send the missing TLS adjuster and replace the wheel spacers.  :o
Still no reply to my emails or SMSs though (this was via PayPal).

Given the history I'll wait until I see the promised parts to call game over, but it's definitely progress.
Perhaps it's as some say, he's just poorly organised and needs a kick occasionally.
A shame given his VMX passions and machining abilities. Checking off orders before posting and checking emails is all it takes.

So there ya go! Worth standing up for your consumer rights...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:35:19 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git.

Offline mungus

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »
Well a week has gone by with no more word from Don.

He has also failed to reply to emails and Skype SMS's asking when he plans on sending the promised missing TLS linkage or replacing the ugly wheel spacers he sent. Now of course I don't expect them to arrive that fast but given his supposed willingness to put this right a reply might have been advisable. Or perhaps he thinks palming me $30 USD is enough to make this all go away?

Well I've news for him if so. On top of the BBB I've now discovered another agency with more teeth that deals with this sort of thing in the US motor trade. As far as I'm concerned he still owes me $190 USD + postage for those missing and bodged parts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:32:19 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git.