Author Topic: top end inspection  (Read 1298 times)

SPANISH ARMADA

top end inspection
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »
just wanted to throw this one into the arena. when would u be pulling the top off the engine [2 stroke] for inspection especially after u have purchased a bike lets say $2000/3000 and all sounds good and running sweet .Have heard a lot over the last few years of people who have purchased a bike raced it for a season have not lifted the top at all and then it has had a hiccup and complained to the last owner what r they going to do about it whats your thoughts cheers chris

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: top end inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »
Personally, I rebuild the topend straight away so I know where I'm at.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »
On a 2 stroke it will take you 2 mins to undo the head bolt lift the lid and you can see the piston crown. 

that should be enough for you to decide if its an old piston or new and what......   

then you can decide if you want to pop the barrell off too or stick it back on and go racing till the end of the year.

Prity easy descision i recon to take a look.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
take a look for sure see if the circlips are in right as well.
unless you buy a bike of a mate like i did still runs strong after 3 years but will do top end after this season
jim

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:57:33 pm »
Spanish> I think you're asking more along the lines of what happens when someone DOESN'T check straight away and shite happens down the track - 12 or so months later?

Bad luck. I'd say! If someone was to buy one of my bikes (should I ever sell one!), I know it'd be fine for a while, but I have heard of people doing as you suggest and look for some sort of comeback later down the line, after racing them for 12 months or more. Personally, if someone was to look for some sort of recompense with me, it'd want to be damned early in the piece or they'd be not getting a hearing!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:23:31 pm »
i think you have one meetings grace then only if it was a Fork up like the previous onwner botch somethig in, used ali cans or put somting in upside down and made it terminal.  Other wise i say 1 meeting then its all yours to look after.... and then only if it was Sold and you paid for a Going concern
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:41 pm »
so freaky you are telling us you would repair or replace any running bike you sold if it broke down in the 1st race meeting.
i had a part fully recoed and had a hard time geting it repaired for free as the guy said we dont warrent race bike parts.
i managed to get him to see my point of view but i have to pay for all shipping
jim

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:14:33 pm »
Racebike= no warranty ,But aint dirt bikes F****king tough, We slam them up & down through the gears,Slip the clutch,Rev the absolute crap outa them & generally give them a real pizzling through muck & mud & all sorts of conditions & with regular maintenance they keep coming back for more,try that with any other vehicle & see how far you get :)