Author Topic: tres cool  (Read 3880 times)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

mx250

Re: tres cool
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
tres cool 8) ;D.

It's NSW, I was trying to identify the roads etc. I'm 98% sure the little old lady and the pedestrian crossing was the five way at Kenso (where's Firko when you need him :) - that would be his old stomping ground). But I can name every car in the background - do I get extra brownie points ;D.

The circuit would be Mt Druitt I would guess. Anyone know?

I'll have to get my uncle and aunt to have a look - they might see themselves there. Bede and Betty were in that clubman/Bodgy and widgy scene in Sydney at that time :).

Did you notice the 1/4inch Whitworth bolts through the tyre for traction? Gee it would have taken some patience to get all them in there. I would hate to think of the extra weight of the tyre ::) - but I don't think unsprung weight was an issue with rigids.

The safety message was a bit lost in the telling me thinks :D. Very quaint.

Thanks.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
could be mt druitt track were he comes around a corner and up a slight hill were high tension wires are in the background looks like were the high school i went to was built.whalan high school was built on part of the old mt druitt race track as is madang primary school parts of the tar were in the grass play area of the high school when i went to school there.there is now a row of houses a road called samari rd and another row of houses between were the track was and the high tension wires then kurrajong ave in mt druitt industrial area(used to trail ride there before the industrial area was there).cheers gary

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:57:48 am »
Glad you liked the clip , Matchy, I was wondering if the shots of the plunger arse road race Beezer were at Mt. Druitt.
As far as the location of the early shots at the milk bar, there is a sign that points to Bondi Recreation Club , you can see it when the gang go out to look at Conway's Beezer in the Vanguard ute.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:04:14 am »
What a classic, one part looks like the corners that lead back down into Double Bay.
Narrated by Leonard Teale I think, from Homicide fame.
I've forwarded it on to Les to see if he recognises faces & places.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:23:41 am by SlideRulz »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:36 am »
Yep,Slides
That's Leonard Teale all-right and the guy that posted the clip up on the O&RMCC site is part of a large group of us that came out of that milk bar cowboy era, EA and I included, that still meet, every Easter, at Sofala now since Bathurst shut down , most of us have been making the pilgrimage to Bathurst or Sofala since 1959 or the very early '60s

It's funny, all my long term friends are either Dirt Trackers or from the MBC era.

Foss

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:44 am »
 A trip down memory lane for sure , My first ute was a Vanguard of the same year in that  film clip and my first bike also was featured   ( rear stand at 8 .34 )

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:48:20 am by oldfart »

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:52:21 am »
the dirt track is that Arcadier near Dural
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »
Firko emailed this to me

Anyone who was in and around Sydney in the sixties will remember a lot of the stuff shown in this classic narrated by that old smoothmeister, Leonard Teale. The milk bar where the tough bikers are hangin’ looks to be in Randwick Junction, possibly ‘The Five Ways’ area, the bikers are riding at various locations in the Eastern Suburbs, Alison rd Randwick, Old South Head road and the pedestrian crossing showed in the ‘safety film’ is the corner of Moore Park Road and Oxford st Paddington, right outside the Centennial Park gates.

The road race circuit is the old Mt Druitt track which was situated a block from where I now live. The main straight shown late in the road race section of the film is still there as a part of Whalan Reserve. Soccer and Rugby fields share the area with netball and cricket these days. The dirt track action is at the old Arcadia track which remarkably still exists on private land in posh Dural. It hasn’t been used for 35 years but the owners keep it groomed for their own amusement.

The handsome windblown racing hero drives a Vanguard Spacemaster Deluxe ute and races what looks like a B33 BSA single, the bad boy rocker rides what looks like an A50 BSA. The traffic shown in the background gives a great indication of how much our choice of car has changed. How many of us drive Renaults or Mayflowers these days?

Whatever happened to hanging out at the milk bar? I guess it was soon replaced by the pub and McDonalds. They were definitely simpler times.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »
i know for sure that part of that mt druitt race track goes through were madang ave primary and whalan high school were built,we learnt it as part of the high schools history when i went there.parts of the tar from the track were still visible in the grass behind the basket ball courts at whalan high later called chifley college then it closed down.the school buildings were still there when i left there and moved to qld about 6 years ago don't know if there still there now.i think the part of whalan reserve that firko talks about is were mt druitt industrial area now stands along kurrajong ave.cheers gary

Curly3

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 06:57:18 pm »
As said before, numerous times, where's Firko when you need him.
He's a gold mine of historical facts and we miss his input.
Bring back Firko I say.
I thought this one might smoke him out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:39:34 pm by SlideRulz »

Curly3

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »
Just rec'd a reply from Les Burdus.
Def Mt Druitt for the road racing footage and Vineyards for the dirt.
Les is Winnebagoing as we speak with Jim Airey in Nth QLD.
Les actually won the City of Syd Champ's at Vineyards in 59/60 with Jim 2nd.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »
 Mt Druitt, Arcadia and Vineyards for sure. Don't know where the mud was, and I don't remember where or what track the tower for the lap scorers would have been at.
 I kept looking for the old airstrip/main straight at Mt Druitt track but seems they didn't have a camera set up there.
 Possibly they filmed some dirt/mud stuff at some other venue.
 Since the film was dated 1959 I can't remember for sure but I think racing at Mt D. had finished by then.??
 Darryl butler had some interesting 16mm stuff on Mt Druitt that I screened at one of the early 'back to Nepean' events
 cheers pancho.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:00:23 pm by pancho »
dont follow me i'm probably off line!