Author Topic: Another Ebay Scam to be aware of.  (Read 8076 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Re: Another Ebay Scam to be aware of.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
Ebay is geared to the buyer. Works fine most of the time, but when you get a dick buyer, its really crap.

Some months ago, the wife copped a split personality nut-job who caused us a ton of grief.
Short version is that his courier had picked the item up, but Ebay were going to refund his money to him simply because the "Item not Received" claim was about to expire - and Ebay didn't give a f#$k about the details leading up to it. Even got told by Ebay "live help" that we should just refund the cash to him, 'cause they were going to do it anyhow...
Luckily, the item got to him when he was in not-totally-insane mode, and he closed off the dispute hours before Ebay were going to f$%k us over.

That's it in a nutshell!
They really don't give a fig. ???
I sent what I considered all the relevant information I could think of to support my case....and zip! Exactly as you say, they either didn't even bother to read through it or just take the easy option and "next case"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »
I was under the impression that confirmation wasn't part of the deal, and that you only needed proof that it was posted as the rest is out of your hands.

Thats what a lot of US sellers say. 'Once its posted its out of my control and im not responsable' they all say

I bet if you take it to Today Tonight or A Current Affair that ebay may wake up and listen ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:23:41 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 10:40:18 pm »
probably why most businesses in the Usa send priority mail to here, it's dearer,but you have to sign for it when you receive it,i send a fair bit of glass stateside,with minimum insurance mainly as a tracking aid,oz post has reciprical arrangements with USA with tracking,but many other countries oz post will not guarantee,or insure parcels to,Canada,(shiploads go missing apparently),& germany are 2 i know of,i'd be having a talk to fair trading,see what they suggest, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 10:09:39 am »
So, just got off the phone to Ebay US (More expense and time) Told that Ebay has NO choice but to found in the buyer favour!! They now have record that the item has arrived in Mumbia - India, but.....It hasn't been delivered to the buyer, for what ever reason.
I was told that regardless of this I am responsible for delivery...NOT Australia Post or indeed India Post!
"The buyer must complete delivery to the seller"
Ebay say they have no system to be able to change any outcome to their decision unless the buyer receives the item....and then!..get this! It's my responsibility the request payment again from the buyer ie: they can't simply pull moneys from his account as they have from mine...."we don't have any facility to do this" well, only to me it seems.  >:(

Now, my head just keeps telling me that this can't be correct (or lawful surely)
Last night I swallowed a lot of pride and sent another contact to the buyer which resulted in brief exchange of restrained emails, the final from the buyer being
"I am ready to work with you. Do not worry. At the moment things are out of your control and my control so lets keep the fingers crossed"
Which while somewhat heartening, had no sway what so ever with the A-hole at Ebay.
Guess I can only wait for the result of Oz Post inquiry on the 13 July.

Thats what a lot of US sellers say. 'Once its posted its out of my control and im not responsable' they all say
Well apparently not! From what I've just had shoved down my throat, if your a seller then yes, you ARE responsible for the safe delivery, or else take it up with your shipper 'cos Ebay won't.

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 10:31:42 am »
No O/S shipping, or either that send with UPS or some other completely trackable alternative. Problem is that is usually cost prohibitive. At least the buyer appears to be willing to work with you. Bummer, hope it all works out satisfactorily for you.

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

oldfart

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 11:26:07 am »
MX . I take it you have you credit card details added to  your pay pal account , hence they can take money from your account.
For me I have a limited amount of money sitting in my  Pay pal account for this various reason.

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 11:36:47 am »
A bit old ,   Ebay - Pay pal - skype -   Seem to be doing it tough eh .

The company in general makes it so hard for you to make contact to resolve any issues .... and they seem to be the judge jury and prosecuter all in one.
I ring my complaints thru to this  # 1800 088 741

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »
MX . I take it you have you credit card details added to  your pay pal account , hence they can take money from your account.
For me I have a limited amount of money sitting in my  Pay pal account for this various reason.

How do you do this, just transfer an amount to it? don't you need to save account details to their site, like you do to transfer funds out of Pay Pal.

I ring my complaints thru to this  # 1800 088 741
Where does this take me ?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 03:11:35 pm »
Yeah as far as i am aware you cant set up a pp account without a credit card number or bank acc number.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline DJVGXL

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »
i think what old fart meant was , the same as me, i have a credit card just for my paypal account, i only put the money in that account that is required for any purchases made via paypal.

oldfart

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »
Dave your on to it. ;) It has a limit attached to the card pre arranged with bank and will not give  credit when this amount is overdrawn. I just top this up when I need  to add funds 

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »
Is this what they call a debit card? Wife told me to get one of those years ago....oops. ::)

Are you sure they can't raid any parent account? Wonder what happens say, in my case with this type of card? Do you reckon they'd just roll over and accept that?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »
Yep i have a Visa debit card. You can use it to make purchases where ever you would normally use a Visa credit card.

oldfart

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 06:07:02 pm »
Mx Pm sent

trailietrash

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
I recently purchased a cylinder, piston and rings from a reputable USA seller via Ebay. When the parts arrived they were nothing like what had been described in the auction. The cylinder was listed as a Suzuki TS125 hop up cylinder and photo's in the auction confirmed this with a photo in the auction showing a larger inlet and exhaust ports compared to the standard cylinder.
What I received was a standard TS125 cylinder, late standard TS125 Piston (wrapped in bubble wrap?) with a single hole on the inlet side and a set of rings in a blister pack to suit, I guess, this piston.
I contacted the seller who said to send the items back and the correct items will be shipped. I also lodged a "not as described" resolution with Ebay to make sure I had a bit of insurance if the seller claimed not to have received the returned goods.
After spending an additional $87 to send the items back and two emails in which the seller assured me they would send the correct goods upon return of their mix up I am out of pocket for the return postage although Ebay has refunded my purchase cost including postage.

To say Ebay and Paypal is geared only towards buyers is wrong as I have been burnt as a buyer with the same system.

The problem is that it is too automated and acts before humans can intervene in the automated decisions created by their computers. Fair Trading should act to stop this as I am sure it does not meet with consumer law.