Author Topic: Honda XR/XL 500/250 parts for sale or swap  (Read 2521 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Honda XR/XL 500/250 parts for sale or swap
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:24:06 pm »
I have the following Honda parts for sale. They may fit other models too but all I know is that they fit what I have said they do. I have not bothered to clean the parts up so they will look a bit dusty etc.

Front forks - 1982 Honda XL500RC
The sliders are in good condition. There are no excessively deep gouges or aggressive corrosion. There some general small scratches, nicks and rubbing away of the clear coat. After stripping off the remaining clear paint these will polish up just as good as new. Some of my own forks I have done have been way worse than these. The 2 dark patches on the sliders are just surface rubbing from fork guards or something. Its not excessive.

The top fork caps are a bit damaged and will need the flats cleaned up with a file. They are still usable and can be covered with KYB style rubber caps if you wish.

The chrome legs are still good. There is no rust pitting or chrome worn away to bare metal. There are a few fine scratches and little nicks which are up around the triple clamp area and a couple a bit below the bottom triple, mainly from sliding out of triple clamps or from headlight brackets clamped to the forks or something. They are not in the main working area and are not real bad. They will polish off with a deburing wheel or some fine wet and dry. The forks would not need chroming unless you were really fussy about some small scratches up top affecting the looks and they were for a concourse restoration. They were not leaking when removed from a bike but they have been sitting around for about 10 years un- used so would need seals probably.

All the internals should be fine.

I can drain these and disassemble them to try and make postage cheaper if you want.

I have put $115 on them which I think is fair for just the sliders and internals

Triple clamps – marked 1982 XR500.
I bought these to go with the forks and they are probably the same as XL500 too. I paid $80 for these in about 2001.

Stem has been cut and sleeved internally to make it shorter to fit a different bike but it has not been welded back together yet. The whole stem can press out though to put the correct length back in. There is a pinch bolt at the bottom for the stem. it is not cast into the bottom triple clamp so its not hard to remove. There is also a brand NEW set of tapered bearings and seals that come with it. They alone can cost $50 or more.  I figure $15 for each triple is fair plus $25 for the bearing set which makes it $55. Should not cost too much too get a new stem made.

Front wheel, brake plate & axle – Marked 83 XL250.
It may be the same as other pre 85 models that had drum too? I paid $160 for this wheel in 2001. The hub is good and the spokes are not rusty. They are dull but will re-zinc plate fine. The nipples are not butchered. The spokes are definitely usable.

The rim has no dents, flat spots or cracks. The external surface is very good with only 3 or 4 really obvious little scratches on the surface. There is no big ugly tyre lever or rock gouges. I only noticed it today but unfortunately the rim has 2 areas where there is corrosion on the inside. I have had a look at it and have come across this before and it is not ultra bad. The rim is still usable for sure. What I would do and what I have done in the past is clean up the rough edges with a die grinder and and spray a coat of etch primer over the affected areas. The rim will go on for ages like this and is a good example if you need a rim/wheel for a general ‘rider’ that is not dented up and cracked and looks respectable still.

The brake plate is fine. I think I have the brake shoes to go with it. There is a speedo drive in the hub too. The axle is also fine.

Before I noticed the corrosion I was going to ask $122 for the complete wheel for this and did not expect to get my $160 back but after noticing the corrosion am dropping it to $90 which I think is fair for just the hub, spoke set, axle and brake plate.

If you only want part of something I will try and consider it, but I really want all of this stuff gone asap.

Will also consider swapping for XL250 motorsport parts
my address - codrington307 at hotmail.com

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:13:16 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Honda XR/XL 500/250 parts for sale or swap
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »
I still have this stuff and want it gone. Please contact me if you are intereseted but want to pay less than my prices.
I also have some CR250 forks on here which are in the USA but i am prepared to loose a fair bit on them just to get rid of them.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022