Author Topic: Raced in the early 80's on YZ80H/K and CR125RD in Melbourne  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Anthony

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hi all.
Just joined after googling old tracks and finding this forum.
I haven't ridden a MX bike since then, but lately I have been riding on the road on CB400.
I have just started thinking about the old days after I ran into a mate that I used to ride with who hasn't stopped riding since then.

Anthony Peters.
Whittlesea & District Minibike Club (VMBA) Epping track : YZ80 H,K
Diamond Valley Motorcycle Club (ACU) Newtown track, near Ballarat : CR125RD

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Raced in the early 80's on YZ80H/K and CR125RD in Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:09 am »
Hi Anthony.
Welcome and Hope you enjoy the forum .
The Newtown track was good fun back in the day, Spent a lot of time there but now the track is so over grown that you would be battling to find it. >:(
The old cb400 would be interesting to ride ,Im sure you must get old dudes (like me) saying "i used to have one of these back in the day" Every time you pull up  ;D
Cheers.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:07:44 am »
Welcome from another DVMCC member.
Not sure if I remember you?
If you use the search function on this site and type in Newtown you will find some talk on it.
I think my Newtown pictures are still up.
I have some pictures of Epping I’ve been going to scan one day, must get around to doing it.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Anthony

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:47:06 am »
Hi GMC.
You probably don't remember me but might remember a mate, Chris Burrows (crash)?
I remember when Jeff Leisk came over from WA, he hung out with a few of the DVMCC members and I recall going to "The Lower" (Lower Plenty Hotel) one Thursday night and Leisky being there with some members.
I don't remember any names of the guys though.
I also remember being in the pits with "crash" at a supercross at Olympic park I think.
Crash was racing and Leisky was giving some tips before their races. (not the same race though)

Hi Hardex.
I failed to mention that I'm now in Singapore and CB400's are more common than in Aus.
Mine is a 96 CB400 version S, which incidently just blew a rad hose yesterday and I had to be towed. :(

Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:08:26 pm by Anthony »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 10:00:00 am »
Yeah I remember the nights at the Lower and also the boat races at Greensborough, but mostly from the folklore tales as it was rare for me to get to them as I worked afternoon shift in those days, it was good money but it killed the social life.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Anthony

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »
I should also mention that I never graduated beyond C-grade and never won a race but improved a lot after attending the Blackbutt Gully MX school in Nowra NSW on the YZ80H with Anthony Gunter as one of the instructors.

I raced at various tracks around Victoria on both the YZ's and the CR.
On the YZ I raced at least 2 events at Waiaa at Shepparton including the Vic Championships, a previous Vic Champs at Melton, a supercross at the Shepparton showgrounds, and one event at Dandenong (Hammond Rd?) where I grabbed the holeshot for the first time in my career only to be greeted by the red flag as I rounded the back straight with a commanding lead.
Not having any idea why they stopped the race, I headed back for the restart which wasn't as good for me as I got caught up with some other bikes over the jump in the main straight and ended up in Dandenong and district hospital with a broken tibea, lacerated chin and a 3 month hiatus from racing. :'(
I would love to know why they stopped the race as my dad said no one watching near him had any idea.
It was suggested that it was because I was from the Whittlesea & District club and Dandenong looked after their own, but I don't believe that.  ???