Author Topic: Mikuni flooding when engine reved  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Re: Mikuni flooding when engine reved
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »
Pulled the carby apart, cleaned and poked and looked everywhere -- all looked clean -- changed the needle and seat to a "new new" one -- carby only about 2 hours old -- and it runs a lot better, not flooding all the time but still not 100% because a bit of "overflow" still occassionally coming aout -- but does not seem to be a problem, will give is a run anf see what happens.
The angle of the carb (GMC mentioned) does seem a bit too much and it would be good to see what it would be like if I got the carby sitting a bit flatter.
Also, was very carefull to get the float tang straight and not bent as it had been, so cannot be sure what made the improvement but it is definately better "around the back yard"
Thanks for all of the help

Also, GMC, saw the tank you did for me (for BigK), lovely workmanship, really nice job  ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:15:28 am »
The angle of the carb (GMC mentioned) does seem a bit too much and it would be good to see what it would be like if I got the carby sitting a bit flatter.

Just do your testing while going up hill ;D

The problem with changing the angle is the carby will hit the crank case so while changing the inlet manifold angle you have to dogleg it upwards as well. Hope your handy with a TIG and die grinder if you go this way.
Had to change part of the airbox casting as well.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
 Has any one mentioned vibration? been there-had that. Check for missing engine steady bracket, loose engine mounts, even cracked frame!. Once had to mount carbies on flexible hose on a road racer special to stop this prob. cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »
So I tried the original Bing, bloody thing starts easy and runs nice -- so for the moment the Mikuni has been chucked.

Luckily I've got a second pre 75 bike -- a 74 1/2 KTM 250 -- bloody easy to start and it just goes so reliably etc etc -- wonder why I bother with the Husky, still I will not let the old Swede beat me but on the backburner for now.

Just thinkin'  if the needle and seat in my Mikuni is "metal" would one of these help?

Part Number/Size: VM28/511-1.8
Description:Genuine Mikuni Needle & Seat assembly. 
Typical Fitment: Mikuni VM30 VM32 VM34 VM36 VM38 VM44
Additional Information: Viton Tip