Author Topic: Leigh Adams seriously injured  (Read 6238 times)

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Leigh Adams seriously injured
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »
wish him all the best and a speedy recovery

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »
Bloody hell, the best Speedway rider of all time not to win a World title.
20 years at the very top without anything like this.
A sobering reminder to us all.
Hoping he makes a complete & speedy recovery.
All the very best to Leigh & his family.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:51:45 pm »
We are both gutted to hear the news about Leigh, our thoughts are with him and his family , and hope for a speedy recovery.
Foss and EA

Offline Toolboy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
The Finke track can come up bite you so easy, i have raced 4 events and come across the odd unconscious rider on track, including a younger rider who became a paraplegic through severe spinal injuries. Get well soon Leigh..
82 RM250Z
79 RM400N
76 RM370A
74 TM400L
05 M50 Boulevard
1986 RM80G
1974 RV125
1994 DS80
2005 JR50

trailietrash

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:43 pm »
So sad to hear this news, I wish Leigh and his family my best wishes for a full recovery

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:34:35 pm »
Get well very soon Leigh , for your loving family and your legions of fans and comrades. Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

cheapracer

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »
Bloody hell  :(

Survives so long at the top in a considerably dangerous sport then to do this "having fun".

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:34 pm »
I've seen so many speedway riders cop these types of injuries over the years.  I'm shocked to hear Leigh did this dabbling in something a bit different.  Terrible news.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »
thats bad news. hope you get well soon Leigh and make a full recovery.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:41:49 pm »

I used  love watching Leigh and crumpy at Mildura speedway

fingers are crossed for you Leigh.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:21:34 pm »
Hoping for you speedy recovery Leigh, sad news indeed.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:51:03 am »
Jeezuz, i hate to hear news like that. one hell of a talented rider unfortunately injured in another discipline of the sport we all love, best wishes to his family and friends, and hope for some miracles of luck for him.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »

I used  love watching Leigh and crumpy at Mildura speedway fingers are crossed for you Leigh.

on another note there is classic speedway at mildura on Saturday, if your up there come say hi.

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:36 pm »
Here is the latest on Leigh , passed on by Fotohound, Trev Harvey

Media release, June 9, 2011. LEIGH ADAMS SERIOUSLY INJURED IN OFF ROAD ACCIDENT

Ten times Australian Speedway Motorcycle Champion, Leigh Adams, aged 40, was involved in a serious accident whilst practising for the annual Finke Desert race in Alice Springs on June 7.

The international speedway star, who only retired from active competition in January this year, following a stellar 20 year career at the top level, had aspired to compete in the gruelling Finke Desert race for some time and was excited to be finally fulfilling a long held ambition.

Unfortunately, he crashed heavily at approximately 1pm on Tuesday afternoon and sustained multiple injuries including; fracturing several vertebrae, extensive spinal cord damage, punctured lungs, broken ribs, a broken scapula and a small fracture in his neck.

Leigh was flown to Adelaide on Tuesday night from Alice Springs and on Wednesday (yesterday) he underwent a marathon 6 hour operation on his back to stabilise and strengthen his badly injured spine. Surgeons are understood to be very happy with the outcome of the operation.

Leigh's wife, Kylie, says he is doing better than expected given the magnitude of his injuries.

"He has no feeling in his legs at present except a little bit in one thigh, "Kylie explained.

"But, that situation could certainly change and improve in the weeks and months ahead. He faces a long hard road to recovery. He's currently in intensive care but could be moved out today into the special spinal unit. He's actually very stable and probably a bit too well to be in intensive care. He's very alert and talking. Leigh has no head injuries at all which is wonderful news. He's just very sleepy due to the pain medication being administered," Kylie concluded.

Kylie, Leigh and the entire Adams family are eternally grateful for the support they have received from all around Australia and the world.

Anyone wishing to email Leigh a message of support can do so by emailing - [email protected]

For further media enquires phone David Tapp during business hours on 02-9633-9899 or 61-2-9633-9899.

FOSS