Author Topic: Clutch Springs for 1978 SP 370  (Read 787 times)

WulfeRyder

Clutch Springs for 1978 SP 370
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »
OK, so I've rebuilding a 1978 Suzuki SP 370. I've stripped her down and I'm in the final stages of putting her back together. I've found that the pull on the clutch is quite heavy and as I plan on riding her as an everyday run around plus doing some long distance touring my question is - what clutch springs will make the clutch a bit lighter.
At the moment she's running standard springs.... pretty much standard everything actually, and I'm hoping someone out there has replaced the standard springs with something after market.

Any help would be appreciated folks

Thanx heaps

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Springs for 1978 SP 370
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21:18 pm »
I think you would find most aftermarket springs would be heavy duty & therefore stiffer rather than softer, i assume the cable is in good conditioned,well lubed & correctly routed? You could try a different lever assembly such as one of the multi nipple position jobs or off a different brand,or you could do the old trick of lengthening the actuating arm on the cases. Cheers  :)

Offline flattracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Springs for 1978 SP 370
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:44:25 pm »
Heavy clutch lever can be caused by the clutch basket fingers being worn. When the clutch is engaged/disengaged under power the driven plates hit the fingers of the basket. After time they will cause small indentations on the face of the finger. These dents won't let the clutch plates slide along the finger to properly disengage from one and other. This will cause the clutch lever to feel Heavy as you are flexing the plates rather than them sliding. Have a close look at the basket and if there are dents along the edge of the fingers, you can file them smooth by placing a file across from one side of the basket to the other. this will keep everything square and should return your cluth to as new.
hope this helps!!!!!