Author Topic: Things aren’t crook in Tallarook.  (Read 6900 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Things aren’t crook in Tallarook.
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
What seems to the forming of a bad habit, I did the customary working to midnight Saturday night to prep my bike again, and even then it was only half done. Hey, how important can fork oil be?
Sunday morning I loaded up and made the big trek north to Tallarook. Only a couple of K’s off the Hume was a beautiful property that had good parking. I did the usual sign up on the day and then had a quick look around. Looked to be a good turnout, they later claimed to have had 52 riders.

The Bus Boys and Associates did a good job organizing and setting out. The marker paint on the rocks was a good move, it helped show the way and was also a good warning of the dangers these rocks presented. They even laid out a small track for the kids to ride of which a few took advantage of. The local Scouts did the catering of burgers and drinks and we were blessed with good weather.

We were treated to a small special test type bunted area at the start where we then headed off through some open paddocks to the trails. The first trails gave us a short warm up before we hit the ‘hill’. The finisher’s medallions claimed “Tough one” and everyone knows why. The hill itself wasn’t that steep, and traction was pretty good but it seems that this hill was full of magical melon sized rocks. They looked like rocks when approaching but as soon as they disappeared under the bike out of sight they transformed into spring loaded ball bearings. It was like riding with a loose axle, you just didn’t know which way the bike was going to go next. Lots of body English was required to keep correcting to the desired direction (up) and lots of dancing of feet in order to stay on the bike. I took my camera out for the second lap round but I was confronted with a hill full of photographers eagerly waiting to capture my skills, or lack thereof. I made it past them but decided not to stop to capture others as it would have been too hard to get mobile again. Third time around I must have used up my quota of neural download capacity from my brain to my body. Signal strength went from Broadband speed down to Dial up speed. My brain knew what to do but my body wouldn’t respond quick enough. Body English turned to Body Japanese and I found that a KDX 175 won’t climb a hill at 25 rpm as it abruptly stalled. Luckily there were no photographers this time. I made a mental note that training was to start next Monday.
The hill was the toughest part of the course, I believe everyone came unstuck at some point but it would have been a good feeling to all that conquered it. They did make a detour around it if you weren’t game but you were rewarded with some good trails beyond if you tackled it. No doubt some chose to go around it but there was still quite a few running the full course so it seems many liked the challenge.

With every up hill comes a down hill where you can catch your breath back but you had to be alert for those pesky rocks everywhere. The overall speed was slow, wouldn’t have gotten past 3rd gear. I’m guessing at around 15 minutes a lap. Demanding, both mentally and physically but enjoyable just the same.

A dozen or so took up the extra ‘Red Plate’ ride. Really must organize that club rego for myself one day. Reports back were of some good trails from a lap of around a half hour plus. Apparently some trail riders on moderns were a bit nonplussed at all these old bikes on the trails.

I think the record for most laps was I think 18, I did just as much talking as riding. Team Penrite ventured down from Canberra again and we also had a team from Sth Aust. as well.
All in all a very enjoyable day, congrats to all those that made this happen.

Now, just on 2 months until the next one at Harrow, can’t wait.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Things aren’t crook in Tallarook.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:54 pm »
The Mansfield Hillbilly's left their Banjo’s at home and instead brought out their XR’s

The gully that led back to the finish

This KDX didn't stop all day

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:50:22 pm »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:29 pm »
 8)  SDR coming up out of the gully, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:42 pm »
It was like riding with a loose axle, you just didn’t know which way the bike was going to go next

:D That describes it perfectly!

Tex

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »
Yeah Mick The tank on it is the one you sold a few years back. The old Ossa SDR is going strong.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »
My prep was much like Geoff's .I rang Drakie 5pm saturday to check conditions and decided i needed a ride to clear my head ,borrowed some money off my son loaded up sunday morning and drove up ,just missing the riders briefing which probably contained important info on course hazards like the ball bearing hill ,which i stumbled onto wondering why there was a heap of riders in the gully and bystanders all around . I got up eventually after 2 stops to check if i still had a tyre on the back . I had a ball for 3/4 of a loop and then i busted 1st gear on my IT200 out the back and had to push it back up the hill and thanks to the guys that give me a tow up the last hill ,rolled back down to camp and grabbed my IT250 and got some good laps in until i strayed off the thin line through the rocks and blew my front tyre . My girls had a good ride with the other kids on the junior loop and then my camera packed it in . I took a video of the kids styling it up and then i had to head home .Top day thanks to all the who run and set up the ride http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy378IEwHXc
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:15:39 pm by yzhilly »
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:24:09 pm »
Yeah Mick The tank on it is the one you sold a few years back. The old Ossa SDR is going strong.
nice one John,good to hear!,cheers

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 02:14:03 pm »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »
nice pics Tex,anymore of the Super Pioneer,hey Big John,your rear mudcatchers' certainly living up to its name ;D, :P

mx250

Re: Things aren’t too crook in Tallarook.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:53:23 pm »
nice pics Tex,anymore of the Super Pioneer,hey Big John,your rear mudcatchers' certainly living up to its name ;D, :P
He has an excuse ;)

maicoman

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:22:04 am »
Some great pics there. Nice to see some uncommon models like the Can Am and a TS250X, a black one at that. Can't remember the last time I saw one of them go round.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 11:31:01 am »
nice pics Tex,anymore of the Super Pioneer

Sorry mate, that's all I have, I was too busy out ridin' to take many!

Here's a short video...

http://youtu.be/u1fd3e7sdFQ

Tex

EBT

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:02 pm »

There are Tallarook Vinduro photos on www.EnduroBikeTalk.com/forum

Cheers Mick.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 06:14:17 pm »
hey,at least John's keeping the front rim clean in that shot ;D,glutinous looking single file track too, :P