Author Topic: on behalf of Kyogle Dirt bike Club (KDBC)  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
on behalf of Kyogle Dirt bike Club (KDBC)
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:12:47 am »
I am writing on behalf of Kyogle Dirt bike Club (KDBC) to inform you that there is a well funded anti motorcycle group attempting to have all motorcycles banned from properties less than 40 hectares (100 acres) and impose severe restrictions on recreational riders on private property which is greater than 100 acres (40hectares).

The previous NSW state government passed legislation to allow people to complain if they find noise offensive (Section 69 LGEPA). The person does not even have to be a resident of the shire to be able to complain. Under this new legislation council must act to remove the source. This is done by placing a stop order on the property and the owner. If the stop order is violated then fines of up to $100,000 can apply per day of use.

Just so you are aware, take for example a stock Yamaha WR 450 registered in NSW by the RTA. This bike is road legal and can go on any registered road in the state and meet all requirements of the law. However under this new legislation if anyone complains to council, this same bike cannot be ridden on private property and remember is doesn’t have to be a neighbour to complain. Kyogle council has adopted a draft policy (see attached URL page 67 onward) and it will be out for public comment at the end of this month.

http://www.kyogle.nsw.gov.au/content/uploads/AGENDA28MAR11.pdf

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2011/03/29/move-to-muffle-dirt-bike-riders-kyogle/

This has led to a group of people driving around our shire taking photos and videos and presenting evidence to council forcing them to act. There have been 20 complaints out of a total of 9868 people (0.2%of 1%) in our shire. This anti bike group is well funded and most of the group are not gainfully employed, allowing access to council 5 days a week. They are a splinter group of the Anti World Rally Championship that was successful in having the rally moved from Kyogle Shire.

Kyogle council has assisted our club in organising Development applications to run races through motorcycling NSW.

However, our members feel the councils attitude towards recreational riders is abhorrent. We are a very small club with less than 30 members all with full time employment. We don’t have the resources or the skills to fight this well organised and well funded group, who have access to the media, both newspapers and television.

We need your help!!!!

This group is trying to make our shire the example for all others in the state to follow and they have already emailed and contacted many other anti bike groups on the north coast to start lobbying their local councils and use this legislation against all motorbike riders. We unfortunately are the test case and once the draft is adopted we are all finished.

Your local government area will be next.

You and your club needs to lobby your local politician to have this legislation changed, (or at least a decibel rating for "offensive" applied), and once the draft from our council is available for public comment we need to all make submissions.

Please do take this matter seriously, we already have stop orders on 12 and 10 year old children riding Yamaha TTR's, a 125 and a 90. (A lawn mower is louder). This is how extreme this group is and they have stated that this is just the beginning.

Primary production practices are exempt, but recreational riding on farms IS NOT!

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Chris Simpson
Club Secretary on behalf of Kyogle Dirt Bike Club

[email protected]

PLANNING&ENVIRON MTG 13 APRIL 2011.doc

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:37:06 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: on behalf of Kyogle Dirt bike Club (KDBC)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:12 am »
Very disturbing.

I have been led to believe that Kyogle is the new Meca and retreat for the rich and famous of Byron Bay.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:51:35 am »
We have a similar issue coming up in our council they are looking to introduce  riding bans on property ? 

WTF i cant belive the day you cant do what you like on your own bit of dirt has come.   

Most of the newbies down at victor are trying to stop peewee style kids on land there dads tracks are on and have riddin around for 20+ years.  if you buy next to a drive in , dont move in the try to close it.  same with the airport,  thats why you got the house land cheap.  

its not your right then to cash in on it finanacially or morally

there should be an exsisting use continuance policy in place.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:59:22 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

cheapracer

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:00:28 pm »
You may have the right to do what you want on your land but you don't have the right to spread noise and dust to other peoples land. If you go in with that attitude then you are doomed to failure.

Chris, have you organised a meeting with these people to get a base line to work with, what do they want exactly, what do they feel the effects of motorcycle use is having etc? You may come to some arrangement (unlikely) but at least you will have proof that you attempted arbitration and possible proof of radical'ism which both will work in your favour later.

What about State Government partitioning? 

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »
Take a look at Killarney and the PTA. They run a ride each year that raises thousand for the school and therefore the kids.
Get on to some of the local schools and ask them if they would like to do the same-then when the bastards try to stop you, you will have some pull.
It's either that or find a very large bike friendly farm and ride right in the middle of it. 

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:51 pm »
WTF i cant believe the day you cant do what you like on your own bit of dirt has come.
People need to closely read their DEEDS. It,s in the legal fine print down the bottom.
Private landholders have NEVER had the right to do what they want with the land they worked and paid for.
The Commonwealth retains the rights to the land.
You are only renting it. :o

EML ,the gossip is that the Killarney trail ride is moving next year.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:00:41 pm »
Take a look at Killarney and the PTA. They run a ride each year that raises thousand for the school and therefore the kids.
Get on to some of the local schools and ask them if they would like to do the same-then when the bastards try to stop you, you will have some pull.
It's either that or find a very large bike friendly farm and ride right in the middle of it. 

Great strategy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:22:20 pm by MICK-DE »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:09 pm »
You may have the right to do what you want on your land but you don't have the right to spread noise and dust to other peoples land. If you go in with that attitude then you are doomed to failure.

Chris, have you organised a meeting with these people to get a base line to work with, what do they want exactly, what do they feel the effects of motorcycle use is having etc? You may come to some arrangement (unlikely) but at least you will have proof that you attempted arbitration and possible proof of radical'ism which both will work in your favour later.

What about State Government partitioning? 

Cheapracers advise, is the draft of  a winning strategy.

I twenty years ago did exactly that, including door to door with a correctly worded petition to local and state governments,  basically on my Pat Malone. “They” pulled every dirty trick in the book, intent on sticking us with a development of 610 public housing units on our doorstep and water front.

Then once again a year ago as part of a group, to stave of destruction of our community, from greed and irrational development of the great “Con”.

Success in the face of what first seemed like overwhelming goliaths, equipped with huge wealth and the corruption of government “s”.

Another winning part of the strategy. Was to introducing the media at right moments. At a point when the goliaths stumbled against the ropes. Seems Australians love to watch the little common man unite and  “tall poppy’s” take a fall. At that media moment, the goliaths realized that round was over.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:17:39 pm by MICK-DE »

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:07:07 pm »
There were some kids tearing around a property near me the other day.  It got annoying after a while, mainly because they had after market exhausts. So I can see how that bothers non bike people.  But being bike friendly I just figure they wont complain If I do it too.  Besides I would rather see kids wear themselves out making constructive noise than roaming the neighborhood bored and stoning houses.

The thing with mowers and farm equipment is that it's a constant same decibel droning noise that doesn't irritate as much as a bike being run through the rev range.  I would say most of the complaints would be from the 'All hat no cattle' brigade.

Ray Buchanan has run into this problem with his trail ride series having to cancel a ride in the Kyogle shire.  The irony of which was to bring money to the local community.  He may even be worth contacting through his website http://www.australiandirtbikeadventures.com.au/  as he is fairly active in promoting the sport.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »
I have sent the email address in the notice this thread link, so your sugggestions can be read and pasted on to there club secretary
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
Hey Cheapracer the shape of things seems to be changing here in Australia.

I might have to change my Metisse order to one of them new quite electrics instead.

Looks as though I might have to keep the dust down too ::)
So I am thinking, on the fly variable traction control.
And a little water sprayer nozzle in front of the rear tyre contact patch, switched by the break traction determination circuit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:01:37 pm by MICK-DE »

cheapracer

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 05:01:28 pm »

I twenty years ago did exactly that, including door to door with a correctly worded petition to local and state governments, 

Theres a win there, go door knocking and push the point of keeping kids off the streets and giving them group values. Most farm communities are vehicle tolerant and most even like machines and having a motorcycle club keeps those machines contained to a specific area at certain times and tell them about the clubs strict noise policy. Without the club you're going to have kids riding everywhere, anytime and noisily. And remember to (calmly) mention you are the Kyoglians and these are the "new people" trying to stamp their authority. You might want to seek support from the local church too "for the kids sake".

Then once again a year ago as part of a group,

Group is the only way, petitions, fill the Council carpark up with (quiet) people etc. - just a couple of you will fall against an organised group who will go about it the same way, the Council is on nobodies side but tend to side with clean cut, organised and calm

MX125B

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 07:25:09 pm »
Best way is to start a Facebook page and it will then go viral internationally
You'll get thousands  of supporters very quickly .
Good Luck

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:24 pm »
lol has any one thought of a shovel, bag of lime , quiet location then add the trouble makers, problem solved . We have a continuouse streem of these people down in Tas , every new proposal no go for some wierd group has a protest . Us tax payers are paying for these freaks to go from one cause to another . I'll stop now before I get upset as this is my hobby horse . >:(
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline ghostrider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 10:46:14 pm »
 What is the overall objective these anti-biking ,rallying groups hope to achieve? Ban a form of recreation on private property?because of a supposed level noise,pollution,environmental destruction??.This bunch of enviro-terrorists/hippocrits would have us all living in caves eating lentils and muesli if they are allowed to thrive and multiply.It would seem appropriate to enguage the services of the Civil Libertarians in order to protect ones right to enguage in a legitimate form of recreation on private property,however I feel they also reside in the warm fuzzy address of Fantasia.So it is left up to the two faced judas characters known formally as polititians ,funded by the hard working people firmly bolted to PAYE, GST,and Carbon tax.
   I have just returned from work committments in that lovely area, and from facts that involve that shire wrt mining and development (that will be on a monolithic scale ) smoke, dust and noise from dirt bikes will be a trivial compared to say ,Coal,Gold,Gas and mineral operations that are destined for that entire area.Yes ,I agree with all the posts ,we all must make a legitimate form of argument against these few enviro-pests.To be effective we must unite and inform everyone, from those that enjoy off road recreation to  the general public of a free democratic society.