Author Topic: Time to move on.  (Read 4161 times)

firko

Time to move on.
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:42 pm »
As much as I've enjoyed my time as a member of this forum, I think it's time I bailed out for a while. I think I've contributed in a mostly positive manner over the last few years and have largely enjoyed the experience. However I've found that the passion has fizzed out in recent months and my negative response to Cheapracers Metisse thread has convinced me that I don't need or want to be here any more. I made a vow to myself a few months ago that I'd only contribute in a positive way but now I find myself embroiled in a shitfight with a bloke I hardly know over something I don't really care about. Anyone who really knows me will know that's not my true nature.

The return of Ross Nimmo to the forum will excite many of his adoring fans but it will also open up the doors for me copping more crap from the bloke....something I don't need right now. I'm battling some severe pain issues at present which have put me in an unhappy state of mind. I'm undergoing surgery on the 23rd of next month which will have me in a cast for up to three months so while recuperating my interest in the sport and this forum may just be recharged. 

See ya at CD8......Firko ;)

Curly3

Re: Time to move on.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:34:17 pm »
Dissapointing but understandable, I'll catch you at Nepean and good luck with the ops and recovery.
Steve

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »
Get onto facebook Firko, there's a lot of cool early MX stuff on there as well as a lot of racers from the era. :)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:24 pm »
    Firko hope to see you back , if not face book . regards Iain Cameron #54
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:49:23 pm »
I understand Mark. My enthusiasm for the forum comes and goes, and sometimes I just don't get the negativity or smart-arsedness, but then I sorta think that's life, isn't? Everyone's a character in their own way. And it's still nowhere near as downright nasty as those Yank forums.

Hope you still drop by to check out what's going on even if we don't actually see you here. And I know you and the rest of the Good Ol Boys will still be enjoying yourselves as much as ever. Thanks for the support and contribution over the years, it's helped shape the whole OzVMX thing.

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:53:36 am »
Sad to see you go.I've always read with interest your contributions and have learnt a lot from your wealth of technical knowlege,I wish you all the best and although we have never met I have always looked forward to your insigtful posts.Good luck and god bless.paul rowlands.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:07:35 am »
Firko if you feel that's best but you will be missed you knowledge of the strange and bizarre is unparalleled.
No doubt I will be having beers and a little chille with you at CD.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

suzuki43

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33:40 am »
Firko,that is a massive shame.Your knowledge and contribution to the sport of VMX is unparalleled in my humble opinion and will be missed on the Forum.

I think that those of you who support and encourage Crusty the Clown from Victoria-a man who is clearly mentally disturbed and suffering from small penis syndrome,should take a look in the mirror,and think about what he offers this Forum,compared to Firko,a man who has given a lot of blood (especially in the early days) to get VMX going.I believe that Firko is a main reason why VMX in Australia exists,compare that to the contribution of that rambling, dribbling loser from Victoria who dishes out in the main bile and negativity against anyone he considers to be a big noter or wealthier than him.

Graeme,this is a black day for the Forum.

mx250

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:41:57 am »
To quote Ned Kelly, "Such is life"  :-[.

Take a break but come back soon Mark. Sorry you've been so upset by the shenanigans that is part of forums - there are some threads and posts I skip over, skim or simply don't open.

Your contribution has been exceptional, especially your library of pixies. I know you put a lot of effort into your contributions and it will be missed.

Take care.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 08:57:59 am »
AWWW  :'(
Take care , hope the op works out.
Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:21:11 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:29:22 am »
Mark, I agree completely with suzuki43. Your depth of knowledge is such that I read every one of your posts, even those about the more obscure aspects of Aussie VMX rules (jeez, just ride the things!)

I hope you reconsider. I am sure that you will be lurking, but do continue to contribute - maybe deliberately avoiding those subjects likely to combust? Easier said than done I guess.

Hope the health issues are resolved OK. Best wishes from NZ.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:52 am »
Yes, I agree that it is a shame Firko has decided to leave. As have some other notable characters from times gone by.

Things change...

The forum is a public thing, and it's always been my view that we have to take the good with the bad.

In the case of this current brouhaha about the Metisse frames, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. But it's a strongly polarised issue it seems and the discussion has both positive and negative tones. Sadly, some people feel the need to sling shit but really, why would you bother worrying about it? I reckon Ross' contribution was totally dumb, but in my view if he wants to make a dick of himself in front of the world it's up to him.

As far as Cheapracer locking his thread, why not? He sought comment about what seems a fair thing to do. he copped some criticism and that's entirely reasonable if people have concerns. Some of those concerns Firko aired as did others. However, the thing did end up being counter-productive in that the general carry-on started to get away from core point of the post. So Cheapracer locked it off. Sounds fine to me.

Sometimes of course threads just go bad, and I will lock those and send them to the Dumbgeon. But here's the thing. Personally, I just don't care. I only do that cos I keep getting PMs or emails complaining about them, or because I can see some members are getting upset.

For me, it's words on a screen. You could NEVER say anything stupid enough, rude enough or insulting enough to make me worry about it. I might be concerned if I got a threat of physical assault, as I did recently from a now departed member. Or if I was threatened with legal action because a club was upset at how it was being portrayed on the forum. Or if some clot was sending PMs to all and sundry with all sorts of dopey comments and threats. Or if someone posted obscene, vulgar, or violent images or commentary (which luckily has never happened).

But if I see something like the comments on the Metisse thread, I just ignore them. It doesn't detract from the actual thread itself unless you let yourself take it too seriously. My advice is don't. It would only be an issue if someone were to clog the thread with stupid comments. Then I'd delete the things as I have in the past.

That's my view. It's words on a screen. Read what you want, get what you can, ignore the crap. It's a microcosm of life and I am not about to start heavy handed censoring of the thing. I *like* its flavour. It's a shame if people don't agree and choose to leave, but that too is life.

Firko, I hope if you read this that you reconsider and rejoin, as your knowledge, views and input are highly valued even if we don't all always agree with you. But I also understand that part of your reaction is to do with both the changing scene of vintage racing and your own outlook.  Nonetheless, your contribution has ALWAYS lifted the tone of the place and helped make the forum the remarkable place that it is.

Things change...

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:50:34 am »
Mark,
        I am only a relative newby to this forum and like you I only want to contribute in a positve way, in the time I have spent here I have always looked for anything you have written because I always found it interesting or informative. We have never met, but I think I have a real sense of who you are from what you have written and I hope that at CD8 we get a chance to meet and talk. I am a "Firko Fan"
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »
Sorry to see you leaving, Firko. As all attest, you are a veritable smorgasboard of information. Your negative response to the frame thread is probably reaction to the attitude that one received should they dare ask a question but, as Graeme says, "it's just words on a page"! It's only ever a few arseclowns that ruin a party.
I hope the Op works out well and you are soon pain free. Come back soon! Tony
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:59:33 pm »
A break and rest doesn’t hurt any one Firko.
Good luck with your looming priorities 8)
Hope to see you back when your batteries have been recharged.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)