Author Topic: Husky Auto Problem  (Read 4383 times)

Offline stormer 254

• Novice
    • View Profile
Husky Auto Problem
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:08 am »
I have a problem with my 1982 Husky Auto, the springs for the first gear clutch broke and got chewed up. I had some springs from a parts engine but when fitted the engine stalled every time I tried to engage gear. I rolled her down the slope on my drive and managed to get her into gear, she then changed up and down the box fine but every time I slowed down the engine would not disengage and would stall. I originally thought the springs from the parts engine where tired, they were easy to fit, and not holding the brass weights back. I then managed to obtain a new set of original springs and fitted those, they were a bit harder to fit, I also cleaned up the grooves as shown in the workshop manual. However exactly the same result stalled, when I tried to put it in to gear. Pushed her into the back of the shed so I could have a good sulk.
Tried again today , stripped clutch and refitted, checked the freewheel bearing, perfect, reassembled but no change, the first gear clutch seems to be permanently  engaged, stalls every time I engage gear and after using the sloping drive trick again , the engine will not disengage from the clutch. The next stage is a box of matches but before I take that step any ideas please?
 :'( :'( :'(

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Husky Auto Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:42:34 am »
Do you have axial clearance between the 1st gear clutch drum and the back of the 1st gear clutch hub? You should be able get just the slightest amount of end float in the clutch drum if you push / pull it in and out on the crankshaft. if you have no clearance, it could be the result of the clutch drum moving too far in on the crankshaft or one of the clutch shoe pivot pins rubbing on the drum. If you have no end float, pull of the clutch and see if there are any rub marks on the faced of the drum.

CJ
1978 390 AMX, original owner
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:34 am »
Your first gear clutch shoes are not clear of the drum at idle and hence driving the transmission.  Check you have the engine idling as slow as possible so the shoes are not rubbing against the clutch drum before engaging drive.

You havent said if you had installed new shoes and drum or not. If new they can take a little riding to wear off the high spots and may need a rolling start to engage drive for the first time. They should idle in drive after the first ride however.

If not new then you need to fit the correct springs for your engine. You may have a set that are too weak for the clutch shoes your engine uses - if they are heavier than the shoes the springs were intended for then they could easily be engaging too early in the rpm range. Your shoes may be worn where the springs hook in hence moving further out before the spring holds them. Are your shoes brass or steel?

Check the clearance between the shoes and the drum when assembled. Check each shoe and make sure you have pushed it out by hand to remove the slack. If there is no clearance then thats your problem. Clearance should be 0.5mm or more from memory. Good luck.

Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline stormer 254

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:28:50 am »
Thanks for your replies, I will investigate the clearance issue but I do not think anything is rubbing because after torquing up the nut I can turn the drum easily by hand, one way only! my shoes have approx 1mm clearance and are the original brass ones with the original drum, the springs came as new old stock and are the same length diameter and number of turns as the one undamaged original. If you can get stronger springs , I do not know where to find them or their part number, I have tried again to ride her this evening and adjusted the tick over really slow but same result :'( :'( :'(

Offline stormer 254

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:01:05 am »
Thanks for the advice especially Colj500. When I was torquing the clutch drum up it removed the end play and made the drum bind hence the permanent drive scenario, I guess the crank got moved slightly when the springs broke and got jammed against the cover. ;D

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:40 am »
Does that mean it is all working now Steve ?
Thumpers Rule !

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:38:01 am »
Good news!.  Torquing the clutch drum????. If you mean torquing the clutch shoe carrier then maybe the taper is worn. How did you increase the end clearance?
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline stormer 254

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:42 am »
Yes Grouty  the clutch is now working ;D PEZBerq. I put a piece of tube  over the crank and used the nut to pull over the crank with a gentle tap to the mag side. I am not sure this worked as I am not sure how the engines are assembled yet!. In the end I did the torque at 85 instead of 90 and  everything worked, if that had not worked next step was to reduce the spacer on the crankshaft.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:12:40 am »
Stormer no ones mentioned it yet but have you put a nice radius where the springs curve around at the anchor point on those shoes.
The sharp corner is what snapped your springs. :o
PEZ has a write up on Auto stuff by Paul Rooney , it shows you what to do  :)
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=13613.msg135375#msg135375
Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:18:40 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:29 am »
heap of auto parts for sale on marks

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:16 am »
What,s Marks web address Robin ?
I,ve managed to loose it . ::)

Later on after I had a think  ???

I went back through the posts on this forum and found the address. ;D
What a wonderful forum this is. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:28:56 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:59:26 am »
Great news Steve. Will you be riding it at Devon Classic's next meeting ?
Just got my 390WR back on the road. Going to try it out Saturday for a spot of green laning just to see.
Next job is to find a complete 390 Auto motor to try.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56:04 am »
Yes Grouty  the clutch is now working ;D PEZBerq. I put a piece of tube  over the crank and used the nut to pull over the crank with a gentle tap to the mag side.

I would be inclined to have a new spacer made as you may be loading the crank bearings ....plus the crank will  be inclined to go back to where it is happiest. Crank movement as a reason the clutch is not/or is working I would not consider a good thing. Though I am pretty impressed you managed to crash start yours  ;D ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline stormer 254

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:22:08 am »
Would you have marks web address please as I need some parts for the other auto I am building!  Glutton for punishment that's me, you think I would have learnt after 40 years of AJS Stormers ;D

Offline stormer 254

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:26:59 am »
Grouty I hope to give her a run out at Devon, but she is not actually that fast she seems to change gear too early, I guess you have to change the springs on the other clutches to let her hang on to each gear a bit? ???