Author Topic: How tall are Maico 490 Riders  (Read 2132 times)

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
How tall are Maico 490 Riders
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »
Just posted this on the "Maico Lovers and Fans Group" I thought I should also post it here for everyone's comments.

"How tall are Maico 490 Riders" is the question. I ask this as I am only 5'8" in the old imperial system and I find my bike very tall. I Know Maico 490's have been considered one of the tallest MX racer's ever built. I have to use a crate to get on and to lean on when stationary.

I just thought I would ask this question of other 490 owners and see what or how they contend with the loft seat syndrome.
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How tall are Maico 490 Riders
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:25:00 pm »
KTMs of the that era are crazy tall as well.

Offline Bruno1969

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:32 pm »
Well I am 6 foot 1 and i find it quite a tall beast. Not ashamed to say that sometimes I need to find a crate or a ledge on which to stand that i can have a proper go at the kick starter.

DP

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:06:31 am »
KTMaico

Don't be worried about only being 5'8. I am only 5'6 so I nearly need to take my crate with me to the start line so I can stay upright . I find it is easier for me to push start the bike rather than try to get my leg up around my ear to kick it

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:09 pm »
6ft 4 inches short and use a tall foam . Crabman  :)
Old and slow - and happy

karl Landrus

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:40:06 am »
For what it is worth hear is my two cents worth on this topic.  For me it is all about who the designer of the bikes were.  For example the Maisch family that started Maico were some what tall guys,  Hans Maisch look to me to be about 6' 6" or so and thus they built the rider cock pit around the tall guy.  I am 6' tall and find my 490 Maico just right, not because of how tall it is but because of the seat to foot peg measurement.  About 22.5" I have found is just right for me, this little measurement for me means I will not be doing deep knee bends all the way through the moto using more energy than need be.

I rode Suzuki in 1979, it was an RM 400 and I loved the bike, it felt very much like the Maicos I had been riding.  The only problem was, even though I was in great shape back then, it really fatigued me when I raced it.  Back then Suzuki had a Factory Rider by the name of Darrell Shultz, he was a bit taller than I. and as I was checking his Works Suzuki over I noticed that he had lowered the pegs.  I went right home lower my pegs giving it that 22.5"measurement I mentioned and totally changed that bike for me and increased my endurance by about 50 percent.  Notice the designer for Suzuki was the short legged Roger DeCoster and the Suzuki RMZ 450 I have now... got its pegs lowered the minute I got it to my shop.