Author Topic: Young bloke to China  (Read 12242 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Young bloke to China
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2011, 03:35:58 pm »
is that young bloke in China yet ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

firko

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2011, 04:05:40 pm »
If you're young and keen there's no better experience than to work overseas. You might not make the money that was available 20 years ago but the life experience gained outweighs any monetary gains. While I never made all that much money in my eight years overseas, the memories and skills learned will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
My young fella looking at Auz adds for maintenance engineer offering 120-150K seems high but adds on the nett.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »
My young fella looking at Auz adds for maintenance engineer offering 120-150K seems high but adds on the nett.

My 21 yo nephew went from $16.80 per hour putting on roofing iron in Tauranga to $45 and hour plus vehicle doing the same in Perth, I went to OZ for the same reason at the same age.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
Marc, what industry are you in?
I know 15 - 25 years ago there was a massive amount of money to be earned in Japan, I knew a few teachers who did a few stints, then managed to buy property in Aus outright.

Like anything times change, in my case I am a company director of a turbocharger manufacturer and earn probably less than a fitter on a gold mine, but not about to swap jobs. As for buying property in Aussie out right .... who can these days

formerly Marc.com

cheapracer

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:53 am »

Cheapracer, can you provide a bit of info as to what you are doing and where you are?
Sounds a lot more interesting than teaching!

Yeah theres a lot of "English Conversation" teachers here.

I live near Chengdu, Sichuan Province famous for it's fantastic mountains and valleys being the start of the Himalaya's, it's irrigation system built by hand 2000 years ago that couldn't be duplicated today, the Big Buddha, spicy food, stunningly beautiful girls that send you mental and the Giant Pandas of course. Sichuan is most recently known for the 2008 earthquake that killed 100,000 and I went through that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan

The last 3 years have been mainly spent developing race and sports car prototypes learning along the way what is capable to be built here (notice no one is doing it?). Taken a long time to compliment designs to capabilities, resources and sources and also learning production 101 which is a trade in itself and has taken me by surprise how far removed it is from making one off's. 

I am involved with another company who will do the production, they make some pretty interesting stuff such as CIP's and gantry multi axis mills and the CEO of that is actually German University educated Chinese and worked there for a few years as well so the quality level he works at and the knowledge of Western requirements is a great advantage for me. Weird to see a Chinese guy speaking fluent German too especially when his English is the standard "Chinglish"!

Bioflex

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 09:07:30 am »
Very interesting.
I've been to Sichuan, was a beautiful place.
I can't recall whether Lijiang was there, and the Yu Long mountain, went to a few places around that general area. There was a famous lake there too I believe.
Funny you mention the girls, one of the preetiest Chinese girls I know is from there.

Thanks to my business interests I deal a lot with China, have a container full of machinary headinmg over at the moment.

Can't help thinking about all the opportunities their everytime I go, particularly if someone was wise enough to utilise all their benefits (cheap labour, great automation, improving quality of work and materials), with a western design perspective and good quality control as you guys no doubt do.
I wish you well with the race car stuff, sounds like a bloody good idea.

Where can I learn more about it, your welcome to send me a Pm in regards to it.