Author Topic: Young bloke to China  (Read 12252 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Young bloke to China
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:03 am »
Some Pipewelders are on 400k here in the Wests NW  :(  setting a bad bench mark  :(  ?
cheers A

Hmmm, I’m a ‘pipewelder’ and I don’t earn anywhere near that :o
Wonder what I’m doing wrong?
Maybe I don’t charge enough!!
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 10:45:44 am »
Some Pipewelders are on 400k here in the Wests NW  Sad  setting a bad bench mark  Sad  ?
Yep Alison but best to tell people it costs around...$350 a bloody day... to rent a basic three bedroom house in Places like Karratha. Dampier, Port Hedland etc ;) Oh and a standard Chicken parmagania at the local pub ...$76....Silly really on Saturday my daughter (A flight attendent with a certain Australian flagship airline) makes my entire 9 hours day (at weekend rate,_  wage in 52 minutes..... ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:21:26 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

cheapracer

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:51 am »
the problem you have is some some mining companies are almost offering that ...

So I've heard as well as that Victorian Desalination project.

But those guys will still be working for somebody else 8 till 5, 48 weeks a year in 20 years time as many of my teenage mates still do - got to see the bigger picture if you can't see that then you're not suitable anyway.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:22 pm »
Yep and the last 3 mining booms in Australia have ended up with massive inflation and the whole lot imploding so enjoy your $76 chicken for now.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 01:21:55 pm »
Well so far no good. Apparently if I pay a $1000 per day, supply a Porsche with mandatory whores and a 2 hour week living in a penthouse I may get an interest.
Remember it's an international labour market these days and you have to compete against the Germans as much as anyone else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13454160

hmmm that's  a unique approach, I bet it worked ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

cheapracer

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »
Yep Alison but best to tell people it costs around...$350 a bloody day... to rent a basic three bedroom house in Places like Karratha.
Yep and the last 3 mining booms in Australia have ended up with massive inflation and the whole lot imploding so enjoy your $76 chicken for now.

German Guy I know locally wants me to help him push his bamboo and straw "Easyblocks" to those areas. Can build houses in a 1/10 the time and 1/4 the cost with them apparently.

http://www.sunchine.cn/en/products.html

I'm not interested but if anyone else is he will talk to you.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:32 pm »
German Guy I know locally wants me to help him push his bamboo and straw "Easyblocks" to those areas. Can build houses in a 1/10 the time and 1/4 the cost with them apparently.
[/quote]

mmmmm ...Not to sure if our Australian Standards would allow such materials in cyclone areas.
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

cheapracer

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »

mmmmm ...Not to sure if our Australian Standards would allow such materials in cyclone areas.
cheers A

He has the applicable ratings but you just touched on why I'm not interested. I've built an extension on a previous house, put up large sheds and bought and moved a complete house from suburbs to my rural block of land where the wind factor was a higher grade.

That was all too hard and I couldn't imagine trying to get these done from scratch - no thanks, leave it to someone who knows the ins and outs.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »
color=red]$350 a bloody day[/color]... to rent a basic three bedroom house in Places like Karratha. Dampier, Port Headland etc ;) Oh and a standard Chicken parmagania at the local pub ...$76...

Yes sorry Tim, was thinking of the back in the day,It was so not hard in the NW  ;D  :P  ;)   ;D
cheers A
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:55:24 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »
cheers A
[/quote]
Queensland rules have already or will change in the very near future.
Not sure why.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Bioflex

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »
For anyone at crossroads in their life or young enough not to be bogged down yet, a job like this would be a an awesome experience.
I spent a year in Japan 6 years ago and having travelled to China 3 times now for business and holidays, it would be my pick of places to live.
It's amazingly diverse in weather as well as lifestyle, a few hours on the plane can take you from one of the worlds busiest cities, shanghai, which financially appears like any western country, to many places where time seems to have stood still for 500 years.
Whoever takes this up will have a life changing experience. As for girls, if you're youngish and at least average looking you'll feel like a celebrity every day.

cheapracer

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
For anyone at crossroads in their life or young enough not to be bogged down yet, a job like this would be a an awesome experience.
I spent a year in Japan 6 years ago and having travelled to China 3 times now for business and holidays, it would be my pick of places to live.
It's amazingly diverse in weather as well as lifestyle, a few hours on the plane can take you from one of the worlds busiest cities, shanghai, which financially appears like any western country, to many places where time seems to have stood still for 500 years.
Whoever takes this up will have a life changing experience.

Nice write up and you would think so, have a couple of prospects but the response has been underwhelming. They chase money but don't realize even if they don't stay here that the experience on their resume will help them to get better jobs/more money later in life anyway. 

As for girls, if you're youngish and at least average looking you'll feel like a celebrity every day.

Indeed, 6 years of it and it hasn't gotten boring yet.

Bioflex

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »
Trying to chase money overseas is stupid IMO. Unless you are ridiculously qualified in a corporate job and are posted by your law or accounting firm (for example) to a first world place, it's easier to just work hard back home.
My only regret from Japan was working too much and spending less time seeing the country and meeting its people. I think I saved about $10,000 in the process which was not a scratch on some of the experiences I could have had.
If people realise the time they could have doing something like this they'd be fighting for the position.

Cheapracer, can you provide a bit of info as to what you are doing and where you are?
Sounds a lot more interesting than teaching!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 03:00:14 pm »
Trying to chase money overseas is stupid IMO. Unless you are ridiculously qualified in a corporate job and are posted by your law or accounting firm (for example) to a first world place, it's easier to just work hard back home.

After 12 years of working in Korea, Taiwan and Japan I would tend to agree, if money is your only motivation then at the moment you are better off in Aussie, but it hasn't always been this way. In my case it was more a corporate thing where I wanted to see how far I could go.
formerly Marc.com

Bioflex

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 03:06:28 pm »
Marc, what industry are you in?
I know 15 - 25 years ago there was a massive amount of money to be earned in Japan, I knew a few teachers who did a few stints, then managed to buy property in Aus outright.

Some money is there but compared the once in a life time experience you can have (most people won't be able to do this after mortgage, wife and kids), I reckon it's about maximizing the experience.
After over staying my visa the Japanese Government made me wait a month before heading home, that's when I got to see the real Japan, not being able to work allowed me to travel everywhere.