Author Topic: A Tenere Tale for Tex - updated for the Robertstown 2 Day  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
A Tenere Tale for Tex - updated for the Robertstown 2 Day
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:13 am »
 Tex,

Since you asked, here is the tale of my ride in the Philip Haydon 6Hr at Tarlee, last weekend (Saturday 7th May) on my '83 Tenere. The event was the first round of the SA Reliability Trial Championship.

I am not sure if you are familiar with the SA style of reliability trials, but they are a type of endurance event ranging from 6 to 24hr in duration. Public road transport sections are used to get competitor around a course to a variety of competition (paddock) sections on private property. These competition sections are generally run cross-country and are timed to the second. No outside assistance is allowed during the event, and you must carry all tools and spare that you might want. Most events start in the early afternoon and run into the night, just to make it even more challenging.

The course was about 104km in length, with 7 competitive sections ranging from 2 to 12km in length and two laps were to be ridden. The paddocks were typical of the Tarlee area, lightly wooded rocky hills, large gullies and creeks and like all Gawler MCC events, a couple of good sized mud holes. Because I was late getting my entry in, I ended up with number 118, which saw me start at 2:57pm, meaning that I would only just get the first lap in before dark.

I always find the start of the competition sections interesting. A lot of the riders blast away from the start with a full blown MX race start to try and shave every possible second off of their time. Myself, well I thank the control keeper for coming out and officiating, and then just ride off as if I was heading down the track looking for a latte and baguette. A few second lost at the start don’t make much difference to my times through the paddock sections.

Overall I had a great ride, the paddocks were challenging, but in no way difficult, so probably real easy for those on modern endure bikes. The biggest problem for me was the Tenere handled like a pig due to tight/dry steering head bearings (I had been meaning to regrease them for the past few months but just hadn’t got around to it along with a lot of other maintenance and preparation work). This made it a real wrestling match in and out of the trees especially early on when I had a near full tank of fuel.

On the second lap, the old girl started running poorly after riding through a mud hole in the 4th paddock section. I thought I had gotten a bit of water into the air box and pressed on thinking that it would clear up, but things never improved. I was barely able to get the engine to run much above 2000rpm, and had absolutely no power. I didn’t bother stopping to look into the problem with it being dark and the bike covered in mud, so I just pressed on and rode the rest of the lap, about 50km, slowly towards the finish.

I got stuck in a river crossing / mud hole in the 2nd last paddock for about 10 – 15 minutes because the bike didn’t have enough power to pull itself up the bank, and it was too slippery for me to push. I ended up getting a bit of assistance from some spectators, which is totally against the rules, but again I didn’t think it would affect the results too much. Further into the paddock an even bigger mud hole had developed on another river crossing, and I chose to walk the bike across a bit downstream from the worst of it as there was no one around to help if I got stuck again.

After a long and slow last transport section I made it to the finish at about 9:45pm and was presented with my finisher’s medallion after I passed through the final machine examination. All bikes are check to ensure that they still comply with the road traffic rules and points are lost for thinks like broken mirrors, or lights that don’t work.

The provisional results have me placed 87th overall and 2nd in Class M (Bikes Pre 1990). So I beat 4 sidecar crews, and the 10 people who DNF’d.

On Sunday , when I stripped the bike to clean it I found a section at  the rear of the air box had been broken off, possibly by a rock thrown up off  the rear wheel, and this had allowed the airbox to basically fill up with mud which explained the poor running.  I also got around to fixing the steering head bearings, so hopefully it will handle a bit better for the next round.

CJ
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:02:46 pm by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: A Tenere Tale for Tex
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:59:40 am »
Great event report, Col.
I've developed a bit of an itch to do the 24hr trial, so I'm keen to learn as much as I can. Funnily enough, one of my rally buddies has develpoed the same itch - he rode his brand new KTM450 to a finish on the weekend (Ethan Pickstock, in case you met him).
He's aiming for this year's 24hour, but 2012 or 2013 is more realistic for me.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:06:13 am »
Thanks Col, I like hearing about your adventures on older bikes in these events. I'm sure others enjoyed it as well.

I'd love to come over to SA and have a go at one of these trials some day.

Tex

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:25:02 am »
 I'm glad he asked, Col, reminds me of the good old days when I had lots of energy and free time to myself doing the old Goodwin Shield trial, the Lance Watson trial etc. Good stuff cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A Tenere Tale for Tex - updated for Rnd 2
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:35:53 am »
Tex,

The 33rd Mike Connor 6hr reliability trial, the 2nd round of the SARTS, was run on Saturday 21st May by the Keyneton MCC.

This year’s event was run on the plains surrounding Sedan, which is just South of the Barrosa Valley. I had drawn number 91 in a field comprising of 92 open solos, 12 sidecars and 27 rally class riders who would ride one lap of the course as a non-competitive trail ride.  As the event was a daylight event this year, the late starting number was not that much of a disadvantage apart from having to ride what would become a very cut up and dusty course.

The course was 105km long and had 8 competitive paddock sections, ranging from 3 to 8km in length, and as usual two laps would be ridden. The first four paddock sections were run primarily along dry creek beds with the odd excursion up and down the creek banks to make things more interesting/difficult. These creek beds were a mixture of deep sand and river stones which ranged from golf ball to soccer ball in size. Combine this with the large gum trees and their roots plus the overhanging branches and you have some quite technical and challenging sections. Paddock five started off in a creek just like the previous four paddocks then ran out for a couple of km through light mallee scrub which cut up really badly into deep bulldust. Paddocks six and seven were again fast going, twisting and turning through light mallee scrub which also cut up into deep bulldust, but with the additional challenge of being full of cricket ball sized lumps of rock. And the final paddock was a flat out blast around the Sedan offroad buggy track.

I left the start at 11:01 for my first lap. I had a good, if somewhat slow run through the first four paddock section. Deep sand and rocks not being the best thing to try and ride fast on a an ‘83 Tenere with a near full tank of fuel, about 25L as I was running a no-stop strategy. Things were similar in the first part of the fifth paddock until I got out of the creek into the mallee where I lost it in the ruts and bulldust when I moved off line to allow a quicker rider past. Fortunately, bulldust is nice and soft to crash in, so with no damage done I plodded on. The run through paddocks six and seven was a bit better, even though the course was already badly cut up and there were quite a few loose rocks in amongst the bulldust. In both these paddocks I could actually get a bit of speed up before I would lose my rhythm and stuff up a corner. Paddock eight, the buggy track, this was an absolute blast with some wide flat corners, hugh berms and long straights that some riders were claiming to have hit 140kph on. Myself, well I was a lot slower than that, I have memories of seeing 90 odd Kph before the engine started running a bit flat. Having experience similar problems at the previous round of the series, I knew the reason the engine wouldn’t rev was the air cleaner element starting to choke up. Problem was, even though the organizers were allowing unlimited air cleaner changes, I didn’t think it would be a issue and hadn’t bought a spare element with me, so I just plodded on to the end of the paddock and from there to the main control to complete the first lap.

Not having to fuel up at the fuel stop gave me about a 20 minute lay over between the end of the first lap and the start of the second.  Knowing what to expect out on the course, I had a bit better run through the first four paddocks, even though they had cut up even more and now had a lot more deep ruts and woops. Things were going well in paddock five for about the first kilometer until I went down quite hard in a tight sandy/rocky turn around one of the numerous large gum trees. I am not sure if the front end ‘tucked under’ in true old Yamaha fashion or if I hit a large rock entering the turn. Either way, the bars were wrenched quite violently from my hands and both the Tenere and I bit the dirt quite hard. Badly winded from hitting the end of the handle bars, I picked up the bike and pushed it off the ‘racing line’ with what initially felt like two broken wrists. After a few minutes of injury assessment that comes from many years of off road racing/crashing combined with some first aid training, I concluded that my wrists were at worst sprained and that the handle bar into my side/ribs hadn’t done any real damage. The bike looked to have suffered no more than a slight bend in the handle bars and a broken front mudguard, so I started it up and tried to ride off. It didn’t take long to find that I could ride straight and turn left but for some reason could not turn the bars to the right. A closer look at the bike revealed that somehow the front brake hose had hooked itself on the clutch cable guide on the front frame down tube and this is what was preventing the bar from turning to the right.  After unhooking the brake hose I rode slowly to the end of the section while testing myself to see if I would be able to keep riding and by time I made the out control the pain had subdued a bit and I kept going. During the slow run through the bulldust that was paddock six, the bike was starting to run even worst, having trouble reving and not wanting to pull in fourth of fifth gears.  As the next transport section incorporated the mid course fuel stop I had plenty of time to pull over and check the air cleaner. As soon as I removed the air box cover bulldust came flowing out like water. After cleaning out the rest of the loose dust, I gave the air filter element a good rub to remove the bulk of the caked on dust and a few good whacks against my leg to shake out any loose dust before putting it back in and heading to the start of paddock section seven with the bike now running a whole lot better. Considering how my wrists felt, I was having a real good run through six until I hit something solid inside a bush when I moved off the track to allow one of the faster riders to pass me. Whatever it was, it crushed my left foot up against the engine cases and somehow broke the spring in the tip of the gear lever. So now I was struggling on with two sore wrists, sore ribs, a sore foot and a gear lever that took a concerted effort to use, but, hey, that part of the challenge of riding these events. From there on, the last two paddocks were quite uneventful, I even managed to get though the 3km of mallee and bulldust in paddock seven without the rider who started a minute after me passing me which is always a major achievement even when everything is going well. I made a relatively sedate lap around the buggy track and head for the finish. As I rode the final transport section the bike was again struggling to rev, but I didn’t really care by then and just plodded along at 50 to 60kph to the final control and machine examination.

The results, well, 2nd in Class and 86th out of 101 starters, although there were 12 DNF’s, so that was actually 4th last. I was encouraged when I got the results sheet to find that I had actually beaten John (Honda XR350), my only opposition in Class M through five of the sixteen paddock sections. The pain from my crashes have all faded back to the normal arthritic aches and my entry for round 3, the Robertstown Two Day has been sent.

CJ

Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26:31 am »
I have always hankered for these types of events and wondered why more aren't run in more states.
Consider a 24hr trial in Queensland weather compared to SA-would be a walk in the park, so perhaps a mid summer jaunt to test them in the heat.
Either way, it needs to be investigated. The closest thing we ever had up here was the Ducati clubs annaul 6 to 6 which was an all day road based event back in the 80s.
Anybody else up here(SEQld) want a crack at one?

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »

Waiting in the dust at Control 11, the fuel stop and start of the 6th paddock section, on lap 1.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »
Only days before hand a local down that way told me that it could quite actually be wet down there from all the rain we have had or at least there would be 'no dust' but it does not sound like that was the case at all. Dusting the 600's and anything else for that matter is not uncommon but i it comes down to good detailing and sealing off gaps at the back of the airbox and seat/fender area to stop excess sand flinging up from the rear wheel. Does yours have the 2 inlet pipes from the air box like the TT? The key is to glue those air intake pipes to the air box with silicone. The guys that dont do that have problems. I remember those stoney creeks from 2004 and it was a day/nighter that year and there was a section where we went under the road or through a pipe that went under the road or something like that.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 10:19:41 am »
In the picture you can see what the sky looks like. The front associated with the severe weather warning that had been issued the day before was threatening all day, and a bit of light rain did start to fall late in the arvo just before I headed for home. However during the event it was as dusty as it always is around Sedan.

Part of my problem with dust clogging the airfilter is just the ridiculously small size of the airfilter element and airbox for a 600cc engine. if you compare it to a modern bike, even a 250 will now have an airfilter at least twice the size. Add this to the amount and depth of the bulldust wich was just flowing up from both wheels and almost nothing was going to stop the dust getting into the airbox. In a way I am lucky that I run a Unifilter twin airfilter, it may have clogged up but there are no signs of dust actually getting through or around the element.

The Tenere airbox is quite different to the TT600 airbox, only a single air inlet rubber and the airbox is a lot smaller due to the space taken up by the battery and other assorted crap.

Normally on multi-day trail rides etc I carry spare airfilter elements and change the element each day. I had two spare airfilter eelements sitting on the bench ready to go, but just didn't take them down to Sedan as I didn't expect it to be as dusty as it actually was, having seen the weather reports and servere weather warning put out by the BOM.

For Robertstown, I will definitly be taking the spare airfilters and I will be sealing as much of the caps around the rear of the airbox over the weekend as I can.

CJ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:21:43 am by Colj500 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 11:05:22 am »
reminds me of the good old days when I had lots of energy and free time

same same ...great read and taken back to hard/fun enduro days  :P
Thanks Colj500
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:50:06 am »
Thanks again Col!  :D

I loved reading this report, and I really must get over there to one of these events. I know what you mean about bulldust at least providing a soft landing, as I discovered the same thing recently!

Tex

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:18:04 pm »
I would be trying an over sock with the draw cord or at the very least some Chux over the element for quick cleaning when she starts to chug.
Bare-in-mind that when she starts to pull hard like that, she will be sucking the very finest dust particles futher-and eventually through the filter.
On the XTZ 750 there was the problem of the filters being in-side-out and at a quick glance everyone thought "jeez I thought they would be much dirtier than that" and left them be, only to find they had dusted their motor. This happened a bit on long rides outback that finished with a hard bitumen ride into town(like Alice) where the motor just sucked it all in under hard throttle. 
just sayin'

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A Tenere Tale for Tex - updated for Robertstown 2 Day
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »
The 3rd round of the SA Reliability Trial series was the Robertstown 2 Day. And again I had entered on the Tenere. This year was the 37th running of the event which has always had a reputation of being a tough event and it lived up to its reputation again this year. I had drawn number 41 which put me near the front of the Clubman riders and I was in that wonderful position of being the only person in my class, meaning that I only had to finish to get a class win, but it also meant that the event was mine to lose.

The 112km course was run in a figure eight out of Robertstown. A daylight and night lap being ridden on Saturday and two daylight laps on Sunday. The course comprised seven competitive sections;

Section 1, was 5km long and started with a bit of tight stuff through some mallee scrub before dropping into a dry creek bed / gully for a few km, then end ending with about a 1km blast through some more open mallee.

Section 2, was the nightmare section. 5km of mallee scrub, but this time in some hilly country with more rocks than you could ever imagine. This paddock cut up really badly and the numerous hill climbs become deeply rutted bulldust full of rocks and the down hills badly wooped out with loose rocks everywhere.

Section 3, was the classic Robertstown section down Spring Hut Creek. This section is effective a 6.5km flat out blast along a wide sandy creek with a few tight bends and climbs up/down the bank to slow you down a bit. This paddock attracts crowds of spectators, many of whom setup camp along the banks of the creek for the whole weekend.

Section 4 was a 3km run over some lightly wooded hills with a few tight section and a lot of rocks.

Section 5 was a 4km of tight single track up and down the banks along a couple of small creeks and included what can best be described as a 300m long observed trials section of mud, rocks and water just to make thing interesting.

Section 6 was another one of the classic Robertstown paddocks. Basically a 5km run along the banks of a muddy creek full of reeds and rocks with numerous creek crossings before finishing with a quick blast across some open paddock. This section had a massive crowd gathered at the first creek crossing / bog hole to watch the fun and carnage.

Section 7, was a 4km run across some lightly wooded hills with lots of rocks in the grass to catch you out.

It was still quite cold and cloudy at 1:41pm when I headed out for lap one. For me, lap one was fairly uneventful, with my only drama being that I didn’t realise that I had ridden straight through Control 6 at the end of paddock section 3, until I was out of the creek and onto the road, I thought that the control was just another bunch of spectators who had setup camp at a good spot in the creek.

Lap two in the dark was also fairly plain sailing, with only a few problems trying to pick a good line up the shitty hills in paddock 2, which had started to cut up really badly. I still managed to get the Tenere up them all without any trouble. The only other think was finding that I only had ½ a sidestand when I went to park the bike in the impound at the main control for the night.

A cold, damp and foggy morning greeted us for day two.

Lap three, and the hills in paddock 2 didn’t seem as bad as there were in the dark on lap two. I suppose being able to see where I was going helped. I am only running a 100w globe in the std Yamaha headlight for the night riding not the HID’s that most everyone else run. I had a monster tank-slapper in paddock 3 after coming around a bend about 2/3 of the way along the creek. I came off one of the plateaus on the inside of the bend into a section of really deep woops at about 80kph. I had my chest on the handlebars and both feet off the pegs and well above the seat. I have no idea how I stayed onboard the bike, but somehow survived what had the potential to be a nasty painful crash.

Lap four, was ridden as a ‘Victory Lap’. I was in cruise mode and out to finish and have some fun, although this turned into pain on one of the shiity hills in paddock 2. I got a little bit out of shape when a loose rock under the rear wheel kicked the bike hard right as I was near the top of the climb. Not wanting to get stuck, I kept the throttle open and ended up hitting one of the many small trees and crushing the toes of my right foot between the tree and the footpeg hard enough to bend the footpeg mount and to bring a few tears to the eyes. I was still moving though, so I just sucked up the pain and kept riding. Over the next few sections the pain diminished as my toes slowly went numb, so I kept on riding. At Control 11, the Keyneton Club control at the start of paddock section 7, I was greeted by more Elvis’s than I have every had the miss fortune to see. In the spirit of fun I said I would ride through the middle of the first mud hole to give the spectators with cameras a good picture. Picking a line that I thought would give me a 50 / 50 chance of success, I flat jumped into the mud in 2nd gear, only to go straight over the bars when the front wheel didn’t quite carry to the other side (this was the only time I didn’t get straight through the bog holes in paddock 6). After a quick bow to the crowd I extracted the Tenere from the mud and parked the bike so I could watch and take a few photos of a few others trying their luck. From there on it was a just a case of cruising on to the finish.

Another one bites the dust (well mud really).

I rode into the final control happy to have finished. It might sound like an easy win when you are the only rider in your class, but there are no easy wins in the 2 Day, no matter how few riders are in your class. As I was given my finishers medallion, the machine examiners had to scrap the mud off of the Tenere for its final roadworthy inspection, but everything was in working order, so no penalties were incurred.

This morning, the day after the event I am stiff and sore with two black and badly swollen toes that are definitely broken from being crushed between the tree and footpeg, but still with a smile on my face from having finished another 2 day.

The final results will take a few days to be collated, and I am sure that I will be in my normal position near last places, but my 1st in class has given me the lead in the series and with a long break until round 5 (round 4 is the 24hr and I am not silly enough to try that again) I have plenty of time for the toes to heal and to get the bike ready for the 2nd half of the series.

Col

SAABCOMBI

Re: A Tenere Tale for Tex - updated for the Robertstown 2 Day
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »
What is the cut off  year and model bikes used it sounds a lot of fun, l think drakey could organize an event the same as this one here in victoria with a lot of help.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: A Tenere Tale for Tex - updated for the Robertstown 2 Day
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 04:51:47 pm »
These are modern events for modern enduro/trail bikes, but there just happens to be a pre 90 'old bike' class and therefore anything from year dot up to 1989 models can enter that class. If you want to ride a newer or current model bike then you can but you will just be in one of the various engine capacity classes in 'expert' or 'clubman' category or the masters/greybeards class if you are over 45 and want to enter that class.

I just watched some Youtube videos of some bikes crossing that creek in the photo above which must of been on lap one as all the reeds are still standing.

Well done on finishing again!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:54:59 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022