Author Topic: Why do we do it?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Why do we do it?
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:15:15 am »
Here we go again! I only do 2 or 3 race meetings a year but I try to be as prepared as I possibly can in an attempt to avoid disappointment. In the lead up to any event I think just a few minor repairs needed Ha, if only that was the case. Every time I think ”I’m over this” trying to keep old bikes running, doing extra overtime at work to pay for repairs, travel, entry Fee's and licenses, getting fit enough to actually  hang on for at least 3 laps, upsetting the family because I have less time to spend with them and I'm uptight until I feel I'm ready to race.
  So, why do we do it? Ask me again when the race is finished and it's a different story? I think because of the effort required to compete it amplifies the satisfaction at the end.
  My last attempt was the Vintage DT titles at Wagga Wagga and even though I only got half a lap into the first pre 75 250 race then broke down, I did finish 2nd in the pre 85 class which was a good consolation. During the 15hr bus trip home to Coffs Harbour and right up until I started preparing for the upcomimg Day/night Vintage DT at Coffs I was over the moon with the sense of achievement and couldn't wait to do it all again????
   What other form of motor cycle racing can you competitively compete at a national level, at our age, on a family budget? I love it.
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Re: Why do we do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:53:01 am »
spot on firekwaka, i go thru the same thing many times during each racing year. our bikes always need work and new parts and friggin round.  and body fitness too - if i don't do some stretches and some (some) running here and there to keep some level of cardio-vascular fitness, i fade like on lap two.  put the hard yards in and i can mostly make it to early in the las lap before i'm sitting in the seat over everything and wishing it was a tv remote in right hand not a throttle......  and don't show me video of myself out there because its like i'm out for a sunday trailride. 

but afterwards......i just want to do it all over again.  but go faster this time. 

oh well, i get one out of the two.