Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?  (Read 39372 times)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:09:37 pm »
You should ride it harder!  ::) Just to let you know about the mechanical rev limiter - at 10,750rpm (I kid you not) the cams come apart. Found that out on a supercharged K we were playing with........
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

cheapracer

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:19:24 pm »

A bit vague ???

What exactly do you mean?

All in humour but going from a comfortable, relatively reliable, quiet, powerful, good brakes etc, etc, modern BMW to a nice looking POS to me is crazy (depending on what else you have in the shed of course). Oh and I did my apprenticeship and spannered on Yammys in the 70's and spannered/restoration/mods at BJ's Bikes and Bits for a number of years as well as a RWC ticket so yes I have ridden all of them and while fun for a lap around the block I don't want to live with one thanks. I guess I have grown out of the "character" crap thats why a modern, water cooled and balanced shaft etc. modern engine is slated for this Metisse project.  

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 05:21:16 pm »
You should ride it harder!  ::) Just to let you know about the mechanical rev limiter - at 10,750rpm (I kid you not) the cams come apart. Found that out on a supercharged K we were playing with........

I appreciate the tip, thx.
I am not sure you could get it to that without a blower though?
Hanging way of the side of it one day on a uphill right, didn't realize I was still only in forth, it had run out of pull?
I snuck up for a look to see what was wrong, and it said just over ten K, ie; two grand past beginning of red line, the needle had actually passed through the red zone, poor darlin, she had nothing left to give.

And I had thought it was indestructible ::) as I said, thx for the warning :D  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:59:11 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 07:51:20 pm »
All joking aside, if you could keep the old looks with modern running gear I reckon you'd be onto something.  An 850 water cooled twin would be nice.

TooFastTim

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »
For your Metisse kit to be viable you'd need to make it from 4130 chrome-moly tubing, Reynolds or another lightweight alloy steel.

I thought they used 531?

firko

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »
I thought they used 531?
They do Tim but it's pretty hard to get Reynolds 531 here so 4130 or something close would be the logical alternatives.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 09:55:52 pm »
531 is Reynolds tubing, primarily a Pommy thing, not sure that it’s available outside the UK.
4130 is Cro-Mo, I don't think it’s not that expensive in the states.

Setting up for a modern motor in old styling should work for the road bike crowd, but if you have to change the frame geometry from the normal Metisse to fit a modern motor in, or just change axle mounts etc, then using the frame for Metisse kits will be compromised.
Too many changes from the norm may make them ineligible for some classes.
Racing rules aside, a lot of kits get built up to never see the track, but the guys that do this usually won’t settle for something that isn’t period. People often customize the cosmetics in order to be individuals but they generally chase authentic, no matter how good a new version may be.
Generally speaking the road riding guys (not road racers) won’t care.

Hey Firko, I have looked at some of your kits that you have bought in and thought they may be good to replicate, but to do them properly would be way dearer than what you have been buying secondhand frames for. Not sure there would be a market for them at new prices.
I guess you worked that out too.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:23 pm »
Hey Firko, I have looked at some of your kits that you have bought in and thought they may be good to replicate, but to do them properly would be way dearer than what you have been buying secondhand frames for. Not sure there would be a market for them at new prices.
I guess you worked that out too
In a nutshell. It just ain't worth it for such a limited market.

cheapracer

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »

Setting up for a modern motor in old styling should work for the road bike crowd, but if you have to change the frame geometry from the normal Metisse to fit a modern motor in, or just change axle mounts etc, then using the frame for Metisse kits will be compromised.

Well thats one reason I'm asking, how much effort to make to keep it original if theres no need to bother.

Also you lot certainly aren't metallurgists but thats also a problem, myths are often far stronger in the marketplace than facts. Some people even think Maico's are better than CZ's FFS.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:21:24 pm by cheapracer »

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:31 pm »
"Some people even think Maico's are better than CZ's FFS"

:o this is gonna get interesting!!!

cheapracer

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48:28 am »

:o this is gonna get interesting!!!

1975 Moto De Nations - can we move on now?  ;)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 08:08:56 am »
Also you lot certainly aren't metallurgists but thats also a problem,

What’s that supposed to mean??
“We lot” are mostly an educated bunch, you might be surprised by what professions do get on this site, and you don’t need to be a metallurgist to recognize the difference between quality and crap.

I guess I have grown out of the "character" crap

You've got me wondering why you’re actually interested in VMX.
Modern stuff performs better, no question, but its not outright performance that keeps us interested in “old crap”
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 08:26:12 am »
Bit of a hint Cheapracer.
It takes about 500 posts on this forum to figure out who you can piss off and get away with it.
Just a hint. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

firko

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:26 am »
Also you lot certainly aren't metallurgists but thats also a problem, myths are often far stronger in the marketplace than facts. Some people even think Maico's are better than CZ's FFS.
I had a sneaking feeling that Cheapracers original post was a wind up and now I'm convinced. Offending particular brand loyalists and adding illinformed opinion into the mix backs my point.

cheapracer

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:09:40 pm »

You've got me wondering why you’re actually interested in VMX.

I am the Co-Founder of the Qld Vintage Motocross Club QVMX and put a lot of hard years and my own money into building it and the push for natural terrain MX in Qld and I would like to see a few more Metisses out there (which would encourage other pre 70's etc) and it would certainly help if they were affordable. I am in the position to do this and probably will.

Yeah my attitude sucks in forums but I find I have no issues with serious and genuine people and I put my performance and money up front when I say I'm going to do something - hope that helps.