Author Topic: World's First 500cc Trail Bike...  (Read 12014 times)

mx250

World's First 500cc Trail Bike...
« on: May 06, 2011, 03:39:33 pm »
......woof woof

;D

firko

Re: World's First 500cc Trail Bike...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »
woof woof
Meaning? ???
Graeme..If you're inferring that they were a dog of a bike, you're entitled to your opinion if you've ridden one. If you haven't, believe me when I tell you that in it's day the BSA B50SS or T was a good bloody traily when compared to much of the other bikes on the market. There was a shitload of worse bikes on the market than the B50.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39:39 pm »
woof woof
Meaning? ???
Graeme..If you're inferring that they were a dog of a bike, you're entitled to your opinion if you've ridden one. If you haven't, believe me when I tell you that in it's day the BSA B50SS or T was a good bloody traily when compared to much of the other bikes on the market. There was a shitload of worse bikes on the market than the B50.
Ah, the scream of the reel - I love the scream of the reel .

But it was the way the market treated poor old BSA.

Before I posted the pixie I was thinking how good and purposeful the BSA looked. It looked right; it looks 'light' (the silver chassis I guess), small conical hubs, eccentric chain adjusters, stylish tank and it looks slim  8). But back in the day it was treated as a dog right from its release. Why? Its a BSA - they where coming from behind the 8 ball  ::). BSA (and British in general) had a well deserved bad reputation - bikes and dealers. Well, to me and my mates anyway (and I think the general market at the time).

But I remember what caused instant dismissal in my mind at the time, and I think every one else, was the 20 inch front wheel. To marginalize and already marginalized bike must rate has THE most stupid marketing mistake of all time .  (Typical of the Poms at the time - they were going to tell the market what was 'good for them' ::). Yeah, right. I'll vote with my feet and my money thanks.)

Where was I going to get 20in knobbies from? What was the range of choice for 3.00x20? ::)

Then I saw steel rims  ::), 315lb and Amal in the specs and I was rolling on the ground with tear in my eyes. Then I realised the price was a third more than a 'reliable as a stone axe' Yamaha or Honda and it made the laughter uncontrollable.

And they did the same for the MX'er ::).

firko

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 04:58:53 pm »
But when you ride one all of that biased nonsense disappears in a sea of enlightenment. ;)
I used to feel the same until I actually rode my mates traily B50T back in 1971 and revived the love after riding Jonesys B50, '74CCM, Black Betty and my Maico on the same day at CD2. I had more honest to goodness fun on the B50 than any of the others. Heavy? Built by idiots? underpowered? weird front wheel.....You betcha yet it's still a better bike than 60% OF trailbike opposition in the day.

If you want bad, really bad, go for a tootle on a Montesa King Scorpion to see how a factory can get it so wrong on so many different levels :o. And yes....I've owned one and despite the bike being a lump, I actually enjoyed the ownership.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:04:35 pm »
in 73 spotted add for a new Rocket 3 sports at my local shop,hmmm i'll buy that,fronts the shop.walks in past the beezer up to the counter,says to the guy ," i wanna buy the beezer",the triple he says,no say i ,the one next to it!, the purple B50SS,loved it,turfed the poxy muffler,clipons, put a jawa 88mm piston in,big valves ,reangled the inlet,1000 series amal 38mm,overgeared,went looking for jap fours to outrun to the border pubs,shouda bought the triple,i'd still have it  ::), :P
ps actually had a good party trick before i modded it,snap the throttle wide open,it would cough,then instant peak revs,just had to make sure there was nothing in the way,went through some rear tyres doing that,oh yeah Firko,i also binned the front brake too,slotted norton commando drum straight in,fugging comicals!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:11:52 pm by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

mx250

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »
I had a young club mate buy the 250 version (Goldstart I think). Pleased as Punch as he turned up to the first club meeting. Of course it shit it self before the next club meeting ::). And of course he got the absolute run around and bullshit from the dealer and the distributor.

I don't know the exact details but apparently he seized the bottom end. Apparently they had a slipper bearing and a minute drop in oil pressure was 'good bye bearing and shaft'.  I don't the truth of any of that but to rub insult into injury he was known as 'slipper flipper', or simply flipper, henceforth. Cruel but true  ::) :P :-\.

And BSA wondered why they went from the biggest in the World to bankrupt in ten years. We were dumb; we weren't stupid  ;) ;D.

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 06:59:30 pm »
You're really, really really anti Beeza, aren't you Graeme.
It's called marketing, nothing to do with truth, they all did it & still do it.
Anyway I'll always love em.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »
Yep and today I can't even pick up a second hand racing vmxer with all kinds of bits added and taken away for under 10k maybe 8k  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »
You're really, really really anti Beeza, aren't you Graeme.
Nope, not me :). Just telling the experience of the time and reflecting the market of the time. If there was nothing else to choose from  I probably wouldn't know any better and I would have loved them - worts and all  ;) ;D

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:45:02 am »
'Then I realised the price was a third more than a 'reliable as a stone axe' Yamaha or Honda and it made the laughter uncontrollable."

With respect Graeme, you just have to look at the prices those "reliable as a stone axe" Yamaha and Honda's are bringing today in comparison to a B50SS, T or MX. Who's laughing now :D

Stan.

mx250

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »
'Then I realised the price was a third more than a 'reliable as a stone axe' Yamaha or Honda and it made the laughter uncontrollable."

With respect Graeme, you just have to look at the prices those "reliable as a stone axe" Yamaha and Honda's are bringing today in comparison to a B50SS, T or MX. Who's laughing now :D

Stan.
As a 20 year old did you buy the bike to;

a/ enjoy, race and 'ride the wheels off it'. or

b/ to collect and to enjoy in your retirement.  ;) ;D

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 06:08:25 pm »
As a 20 year old did you buy the bike to;

a/ enjoy, race and 'ride the wheels off it'. or

b/ to collect and to enjoy in your retirement.  ;) ;D
[/quote]

Yeah, you are right Graeme but in hindsight I wish I had of taken your choice b/ way back then.

Stan.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 06:32:34 pm »
I agree  with Stan, the bikes that we owned in the sixties and 70`s  they should have been parked in dry storage,, for etc F21m,69 Montesa cappra 360, Mag Husky 74 model, my 3 Honda elsinore, Norton TQ 850, Jap speedway bikes, my fathers 6 scotts, and the list go`s on, and in the same time, running around every bike shop in Melborne asking and buying up old bikes. But in saying all that, back in the those days we didn`t have a lot money to buy bikes,plus it wasn`t top on our list, we didn`t think to do it, just looking forward to the next race meeting, it was a big effort to save, and price money wasn`t the big, it all went into fuel and food on the way home. The B50`s are a great bike Greame, you need to ask someone at a meeting and go and ride one. You will love it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:40:51 pm by 33M »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »
The B44 motor is all conquering in UK pre 65 +/- , I like it , much more compact and lighter power plant than the TT500 ..... and if built right will make pretty decent power. I am doing build at the moment with PES clutch, Carillo rod, B50 piston and liner, B50MX cam, electronic ignition, which i have high hopes for

formerly Marc.com

Oppet

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »
Yes B50 has great little engine and is wonderful bike!